1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Colorado launches Hybrid Electric snowplow! It uses 50% less fuel. video.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "GOLDEN, Colo. (CBS4) - Jefferson County is plowing toward a greener future with a new piece of snow removal equipment.

The county unveiled what it believes is the first hybrid snowplow in the country Thursday.

The plow burns up to 50 percent less fuel than traditional snowplows. If this one performs well, the county will consider adding more to its fleet."

Video:
    Hybrid Plows Way Toward Greener Future - cbs4denver.com

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This application doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The hybrid savings tend to come from:

• engine off operation on electric
    • short, peak power so a smaller engine can be used
    • regenerative braking
    There may be aspects of snow plow operation that I'm not aware of but this doesn't seem to be a hybrid-friendly profile. A refuse pickup, yes; a utility truck, yes; a postal delivery van, yes. It is a 'head scratcher.'

Bob Wilson

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had the same thought. Perhaps it's a series hybrid, where the electric drive replaces a normal transmission. That works well in other high power applications such as trains and tug boats.

Tom

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

After the snow removal, plows are commonly seen running down the road spreading salt with the plow blade up. Consequently, there is a very large max to to average load ratio. Which would be good thing for a Hybrid scenario to exploit.