1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Colorado Piloting Eliminating Gas Tax

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MrMischief, Nov 15, 2016.

1. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Enjoy this drive.

Tesla’s fascinating self-driving car video shows us exactly what the vehicle ‘sees’

iPhone ?

hkmb likes this.
  2. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I understand your point of view and I certainly appreciate it. I don't agree with sin taxes for anything and I vote against them every time (with the exception of marijuana because we weren't going to legalize it without the heavy taxes but fundamentally I'm against how that tax is implemented). My reasoning tends be that you should not fund important services with revenue from things people don't need. Cigarettes shouldn't be funding schools because as you jack up the price fewer people use them but now the school has become dependent on that funding. Same thing with a high gas tax that funds rail. If you drive people away from driving toward rail with high gas taxes, it seems like you're just shooting yourself in the foot. Now I'm not completely opposed to using some gas tax to fund rail projects, particularly when they're adding rail lines at the same time as widening the highway as they did here in Denver recently. I just think that the primary source of continued operational funding needs to be coming from the users.

Sales tax, property tax, income tax, etc I'm okay with using that to fund a wide variety of projects because I view them as general taxes that everyone pays to fund general things that everyone uses. But I do not agree with taking hunting license fees and using it to fund school construction, or state park fees to fund the next football stadium (why that's .gov funded anyways is beyond me).

I understand the global warming side you're pointing out, I think increasing the gas tax to just where it properly funds the highway trust fund would go a long way toward curbing people's driving habits and vehicle purchasing decisions, and if not we can revisit the environmental impact fee and underground storage tax that is already part of the price of gallon of gas to see how much that can be increased and where it should go. But my overarching view on global warming is that going after my cars is taking on a relatively small fish. If the global population is truly concerned about green house gas emissions I think we should be looking more closely at the shipping industry and their use of heavy fuel oil. Isn't it something like 15 ships produce more greenhouse gas emissions than all of the cars in the world?

RCO likes this.
  3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can see where you're coming from here. But what, then (if anything) would you do to reduce smoking? Would you not impose a sin tax? If you would, what would you spend the money on? And if you wouldn't, how would you absorb the costs to government that smoking creates (I realise this is less of a problem in the US than in other countries, but there are still costs to government created by smoking)? Or do you think that the early deaths caused by smoking - and the resultant reductions in pension costs - outweigh the costs of lost income tax revenue and health expenditure?

But wouldn't that structure be quite a good thing? Your costs in rail development are primarily up-front: you need a lot of money at the start to build the railway, and then smaller amounts of money to operate and maintain it. So if your gas taxes drive people off the road, it means you get your money at the start, when you need it, and then that income drops off as you need less. Also, of course, a lot of the money that people are no longer paying in gas tax they'll be spending on train tickets.

Yeah, the stadium thing is odd. In Britain, the soccer stadium is the club's responsibility, not the government's.

I can see your point on the sales, property and income taxes.

But a tax that's adequate to encourage reductions in fuel use would pay for a hell of a lot more than just roads. If your gas tax is currently funding roads and not discouraging people from buying Dodge Rams or Ford F50s or whatever when you're paying $1.50 per gallon, then you're going to have a vast income surplus if you impose a level of tax close to European levels, and end up paying $6-8 per US gallon. And it's clear that those are the sort of prices you need to get decent take-up on hybrids and tiny engines and electric cars.

Transportation accounts for around 14% of global CO2 emissions, and all of shipping accounts for about 3% of global CO2 emissions. I suspect the 15 ships figure is one of those Facebook feed things.

Going after cars is significant, because there's a lot that can be done. But yes, going after electricity generation would have a bigger impact.

RCO likes this.
  4. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's always decirculating surpluses, which would effectively give everyone that money. Alternately, use that surplus to offset the negative effects on the poor that such a high gas tax would cause, by applying it to offset the costs of a progressive income tax.

Trollbait and DMC-5180 like this.
  5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, yes. That's how the now-abandoned carbon tax in Australia was going to work: you'd pay more for your electricity, but a portion of the money raised would go into grants for low-income families so that they were not worse off, but they were still encouraged to use less energy.

6. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have to say that I have yet to see a rail based transit system that "costs smaller amounts" of money to operate, if by smaller you mean reasonable and economical. When I lived in Seattle and took the heavy rail Sounder (a duplicate of MetroLink in SoCal) a full fare to ride was about $9 a day (3 zones, round trip). The actual cost of operations was over $48 x 2 = $96 ($48 for a one way "trip" - the unit of measure used). When the infrastructure cost was added in, the cost per trip (amortized over 30 years) was over $500 (per "trip"). A 3 zone helicopter "trip" was quoted to be in the neighborhood of $260, and the helio seated four.

Again. Nothing the gub'ment does is cheap or efficient. And taxes are often con games run on people who cannot or do not want the services provided with the money. That said, payday for California State employees is the last business day of the month, and they never fail to hand over the warrant (check) when asked. :) The line coming out of the accounting office on that day is all smiles!

MrMischief and RCO like this.
  7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you looked at foreign countries? I ask because in the cities I've lived in or spent a lot of time in, mostly in East Asia, mass transport systems are very cost-effective.

#47 hkmb, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  8. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Citation needed on those costs.

9. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm going to be short, but it's due to just waking up and I need to see about a turkey without waking up the family that all came to town. Somewhat funny Prius related note, met them at a bar after work and I got lots of "you driving that toy car?" yep... "well I'm gonna ride with you to dinner if there's room for three people in that thing....." and another family member walks away with "I like it...."
    As a government I would do nothing to curb adult smoking. Everyone is aware that it's bad 'mkay and they are making a choice to continue. My employer provided health insurance charges smokers extra money per month due to the expected higher cost.

Fair point, although I haven't yet seen a rail project completed so when does it end? Around here they keep adding more and more rail, overall probably a good thing but I wonder if they will ever say it's good enough to stop building.

The gas tax is currently not enough to fund roads and money is coming from the general fund to support the roads, which IMO shouldn't be happening either. Roads, like rail, should be funded very nearly entirely by the users. I don't believe that the tax to do that would have to be so high as $6 - $8 a gallon but it does need to be increased. The big problem that I have with pushing take up on hybrids and tiny engines and electric cars is that works very well in say Denver, and that is where my family likes my Prius. But as an only vehicle the Prius does not work well in remote areas with long distances between stops. Most of my family would probably really like to get around 50 mpg when going to the grocery store that is a 100 mile round trip, but it's not going to do so well when you start getting those 3 foot drifts across their gravel roads in winter. Those roads don't get plowed so it's up to the locals to clear them and if you get stuck you're going to be there for quite awhile waiting for someone to get to you. So you get into the situation of buying a car that is only really used for going to the grocery store in the summer and a truck or just a truck. Taxing them at $8 a gallon isn't going to help change that situation you're only going to hurt their pocketbook. You could promise to use part of that $8 to then get a plow and mag-chloride truck out there to take care of their road, but I suspect that's not helping the environmental end game.

Just first link I found, a 2009 daily mail column so take it for what it's worth
    How 16 ships create as much pollution as all the cars in the world | Daily Mail Online

RCO likes this.
  10. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Although, when you get people that want to live in the country as a lifestyle choice, and not be a farmer (which would be another reason to have a truck, a lot of farm work requiring one anyway), taxation making it more expensive to make that lifestyle choice will pull them closer into infrastructure, and they won't need to have a truck to go to the grocery store.

Also, when will road construction end? I've never seen a road project end, they keep adding new roads, or having to stop and fix the old ones.

Trollbait and RCO like this.
  11. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One more reason we should all embrace corporate farming

12. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is an analysis of the North Sounder Line. My comment is reflective of the South Sounder Line, for which I did environmental and economic analysis for an extension. Similar numbers. Sound Transit Sounder Commuter Rail: Promises vs. Performance

13. 2010pri

2010pri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you implement road tax by the mile it's individualized. First the government won't pay then the poor the special interest will lobby to reduce there tax. In the end the same heavily taxed group will bear the cost of road repair. It gives people a way to escape paying there fair share and that will be the result.

MrMischief and RCO like this.
  14. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahha, yes. I hope you're all having a lovely Thanksgiving.

Yes, I used to really enjoy doing that when I had my Prius. People think it's all sackcloth-and-ashes, and they're really surprised when it actually turns out to be a nice way to travel.

Fair enough. It's not what I'd do, but I can see your logic.

Yes, that's true. When I first lived in Tianjin and travelled to Beijing regularly, Beijing had two metro lines. Now it has, I think, 14, and it's still building. Although, that said, its population has grown from less than 10 million to well over 20 million in that time, so it really does need it.

While I'm sure they'll be hit harder than me by increased fuel costs, I can live with that. Similarly, I'm sure they can live with the fact that, for the price of my sensible four-bedroom house in Sydney, I could buy several thousand acres in rural Colorado. But I can walk to the supermarket. We all have costs associated with the lifestyles we choose.

And anyway, gas taxes will still give them a choice: they can buy a relatively economical four-wheel-drive from Japan or Germany, or they can buy some sort of gimassive comedy V8.

Haha! Very well put!

Enjoy the rest of your Thanksgiving.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    When visiting the parents in North Carolina, I fill the tank at the Virginia border. This is enough to get to their place near NC's southern tip and back to Va. How is NC suppose to get the tax money I paid to Va to cover my use of their roads? Likewise, many here would fill up in NJ before the new tax rate, when given a chance, some would take a trip to NJ just for the fuel. So people are already paying fuel taxes to one state, but using the roads in another. This hasn't become an issue that would greatly unbalance the system considering most of the fuel is bought in the state where it is used.

Using odometer readings for per mile tax will result in some paying for miles, over some tax free limit, driven out of state. But this isn't enough to break what is the easiest and cheapest way of calculating such a tax, and there are methods to track out of state miles for those who do drive a lot out of state.

The issue will arise on how to have a plug in car to help cover the expenses for its use of the road. High efficiency vehicles alone can reduce the fuel tax income to the point that the amount isn't enough to cover road expenses.

There is no separate fund for raod maintenance at the federal level that fuel taxes goes into. It just goes into the general fund. With the federal gas tax being too low to meet maintenance costs, other tax proceeds or debt covers the rest.

This would only work if the cost of use covered all the exteranlities for each transportation. These would include the cost to clean up the environment from damage caused by petroleum use, to the healthcare costs resulting from that use, to even the military interventions for maintaining US corporate control of it. During the second Iraq war, an estimate of $10 to $15 a gallon for petrol to cover those externalities was put forth.

I believe that German highway patrol officers are equipped with a roadside THC test.

That is only profitable by ignoring the externalities.
    Not taxing cigarettes has the same issue.

Tax deductions for fuel use already does this in regards to taxes on the fuel.

RCO likes this.
  16. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I read up on the "German roadside THC test." The test uses immunoassay, and looks like it is unreliable (particularly a very high rate of false negatives) compared to gas chromatography analysis (which is NEVER wrong). In regulated drug testing, immunoassay testing may only be used for initial screening, is substance specific and returns a qualitative result, not a quantitative result. I know that in Washington State, THC levels are standardized in the regulation to define "under the influence," just like for alcohol. Therefore, THC itself must be measured, or the test used must be 1:1 correlated between metabolites and the actual bloodstream levels of the substance.

RCO and Trollbait like this.
  17. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What is the highway trust fund?

Trollbait likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    An immunoassay drug test once returned a false positive for opiates for me. A basic screening test is better than nothing at this time.

Highway Trust Fund - Wikipedia
    I was wrong. Do the states have similar funds?
    The ad link in your post leads to a book on highway funding at Walmart, for the curious.

Any comment on the rest of my post?

MrMischief likes this.
  19. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Every state is a little different. Some commingle the transportation taxes and fees into that States General fund.

Others have a true segregated highway trust fund that is solely funded by fuel taxes and licensing fees. WI is a segregated trust fund state. MN is not and a portion of its transportation budget comes from the General fund versus what is collected withe the gas tax and licensing fees.

Both of those states are running transportation funding annual deficits now and are bonding/borrowing to fill the voids. In WI 30-35% of annual highway fund collections now goes to service debt. The Governor won't do anything to fix it and it's just getting worse.

iPhone ?

20. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    False positives are the bane of immunoassay tests. That's why they are useful as screening tests only. Gas chromatography, on the other hand is dead bang! accurate.

And you contradict yourself when you say immunoassay tests are better than nothing. A false positive is 100% wrong for you. That might mean jail time. "No test" (guessing) is at least 50% accurate when you consider (you are either positive or not, take your pick). Once you have a false positive, there is no way to catch up with the negative effect on the averages, no matter how many tests you do.

Opiates, as well, are a special case in drug testing, but that's another subject.

RCO likes this.