1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Colors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cyclesome, Mar 2, 2005.

1. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Isn't seaside pearl more like an electric blue? I'd love to do a straight swap of my salsa red for a seaside pearl blue, but with my mileage, I'd doubt anyone would go for it.

2. kritini

kritini New Member

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave, the 2005 brochure (at least in the Canadian version) has a much more accurate swatch of Tideland Pearl. Yes, the 2004's one is quite off. I was surprised when the sales rep at the autoshow told me the 'grey' car on display was Tideland Pearl

4. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

When we ordered out car in April we saw a green car that didn't come close to the swatch in the dealer's pamphlet. The car was a much lighter version of the swatch with less blue in it. Then, when the '05s were delivered, they were definitely what I (and most people) would consider to be a dark grey.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i have a 2004 so the swatch was no where near gray.

but as i have said, i love my car and the color is fine. gray is good.

6. Stocky

Stocky New Member

I have found this an interesting thread. My lil' red arrives in two days and I am not sleeping much at night - LOL. I didn't care what colour it was as long as it was red. I am trading a silver Audi and just about every car I see in silver - a change is as good as a holiday, so RED it is. My Audi's interior is black on black and it will be a breath of fresh air to be surrounded in tan. The key thing with all this is - to each his own, viva la difference!!!!

I read these posts with interest because there are only two choices in New Zealand. The standard model, which is equivalent to the US base model with a few little differences (side turn signals, EV switch, no bladder, no amber reflector in the front lights, RHD etc). The other model is called I-TECH which has only just been introduced in NZ.

I-TECH has everything in it from package #6 but does not have HID, alarm and electronic rear view mirror. It is such a new model that no dealer in this part of the country has seen one, I am the first ( a trailblazer). The dealer is even interested in asking me to show prospective buyers the differences for a small consideration (cool).

I was also real confused by the names of the colours. NZers tend to understate things, we just let our scenery speak for itself - Lord of the Rings? Anyway, our colours are a little less flowery:
    Blue Mica metallic=Seaside Pearl
    Bronze Mica metallic=Driftwood Pearl
    Dark Red Mica metallic=Salsa Red
    Jade Green Mica metallic=Tideland Pearl
    Silver metallic=Millennium Silver metallic
    Super White II=Super White
    (note - no black)

From what I have seen in posts and brochures, they are exactly the same colours as available in the US and given that Salsa sounds soooo much better, guess what my new colour is now!!!!!!

Also there is not the groundswell to move to cleaner engines, we did that a long time ago with smaller and more fuel efficient engines, plus we don’t have the same people (4mil) or car population as the US. So that makes the PRIUS a stand out head turner and I like that as well as the fact that I can say "My car does 4.4 l/100km - runs on the smell of an oily rag".

I digress - ONLY TWO SLEEPS TO GO!!!!! I'm just like a kid with a new toy or at least I will be. I am thinking my plate might have to be CLNAIR, BYEGAS, NOSMOG or CO22GO - can't make up my mind.

7. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Definitely not CO22GO since it not only doesn't sound cool, it also makes no sense -- you breathe, don't you? What do you think you're exhaling? Also, the Prius just gets twice the mileage of a normal car, so "BYEGAS" seems inappropriate (better for a pure EV). My vote is for CLNAIR (my favorite) or NOSMOG.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you can change tideland pearl to "medium smoky gray"

9. CTScribe

CTScribe New Member

As for the "burgundy" accents, personally I think that someone over at Toyota needs to put down their pipe and lay off the crack. The accent is no more "burgundy" that Tideland is Green. All I can think is that the colors must look different in Japan :)

[font=Lucida Console:c166619c60]I had the same reaction to the so-called "burgundy" dash. It took me three days to even see a hint of deep maroon

10. Stocky

Stocky New Member

Definitely not CO22GO

Appreciate to input, but I have spent two days agonising over which plate to choose and being unable to make up my mind. I finally decided to head over to left field and have chosen WUHU

11. wilco

wilco New Member

Stocky wrote:
    "I was also real confused by the names of the colours. NZers tend to understate things, we just let our scenery speak for itself - Lord of the Rings? Anyway, our colours are a little less flowery:
    Blue Mica metallic=Seaside Pearl
    Bronze Mica metallic=Driftwood Pearl
    Dark Red Mica metallic=Salsa Red
    Jade Green Mica metallic=Tideland Pearl
    Silver metallic=Millennium Silver metallic
    Super White II=Super White
    (note - no black)

From what I have seen in posts and brochures, they are exactly the same colours as available in the US..."

I'm surprised that NZ don't have the same color palatte as Japan (due to your proximity, and right hand drive). The blue for the Japanese market is much darker than for other markets. The Japanese red looks a little darker too (in pictures that is). And no black? Australia has black... what gives?

The blue and the bronze may not actually be the same as the North American Seaside and Driftwood, they could be the European versions which I believe are slightly different. The first blue 2004 I ever laid eyes on was a German model, and the color was definitely not Seaside. I saw a bronze on the same trip, and it seemed a little different from Driftwood too (although I'm not sure of that one).

There is even a subtle difference between the US "gray/burgundy" and the Canadian "grey" interiors... or is that just the names? Go figure.

12. Stocky

Stocky New Member

The only true comparision is to stack up to cars alonside each other and eyeball them. Now to test that out, anyone with a Salsa who wants to take a really long drive?

13. wilco

wilco New Member

Oh, and for Tideland being green... maybe on one day of the month. Or maybe it's seasonal, like the leaves. When I saw it at the dealer, it was like, "where is the green one?"

"You're standing in front of it"

14. wilco

wilco New Member

Yeah that's true. That's why I'm not sure about Bronze = Driftwood. I'm pretty sure about the Euro vs. North American blues though. The first time that I saw a Seaside in person, I was struck by how it seemed lighter than the other blues I'd seen.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's odd that our colours are pearl while yours are mica/metallic. I doubt they're the same. I mean why would our red be of a pearl finish and yours with metallic flakes or mica if they're the same colour.

16. Stocky

Stocky New Member

Very true.

When I take delivery of my car next week (can't wait), I will take some photos and post them. All we have to account for is the variations in the digital camera colours, but that should give a reasonable comparison.

17. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The European and American colours are all the same unless something very weird is happening at Toyota. They've got the same paint codes.

(UK colours = 040 Pure White, IC0 Silver Steel, 202 Astral Black, 3Q3 Regency Red, 4S2 Aztec Bronze, 6S9 Sileni Green, 8S2 Glacier Blue).

18. wilco

wilco New Member

You're right. I just looked up the codes. It must've been the different lighting/weather because I would've sworn the blue was different. I guess it's sort of like Tideland only being green when there is a full moon!

Code---North America--------UK/Europe--------------Australia
    040-----White------------------White---------------------White
    1C0-----Silver------------------Silver--------------------Silver
    202-----Black-------------------Black--------------------Black
    3Q3-----Salsa Red Pearl------Regency Red Mica------Merlot Red
    4S2-----Driftwood Pearl-------Bronze-------------------Bronze
    6S9-----Tideland Pearl--------Sileni Green Mica-------Gun Olive
    8S2-----Seaside Pearl---------Glacier Blue Mica-------Crystal Blue

Japan does have other colors though
    062 - White Pearl
    8M6 - Blue Mica (dark blue)
    3P2 - Blood Red (this is the dark red I was thinking of, which apparently was only on the classic).

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey Stocky WUHU guy,

I'm currious why you are using my Username as your signature??? :x
    At first I thought you were playing a trick by using the "YOU" command . . . but that doesn't work in the signature area (at least to my knowledge). And in Salsa Red to boot!!!!

Now you are going to make me Sufferin' Prius Envy Envious. :cry:

20. Stocky

Stocky New Member

Hi Patrick.

Well, my lastname is "Stock" and everyone calls me Stocky, so what better username?.

WUHU is the plate on the car (or will be when it comes next week). I went for a plain plate rather than have optional messages on it, because the car is a statement in its own right as everyone on the chat knows. So what you see as my avatar is also my plate, colour and all.

PS. I waited 11 minutes from ordering to confirmation of the car, options, colour choice and all. The only real wait is the shipping, but I am in the final 10 seconds of countdown - WUHU !!!!!!!!!