1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Columbia University + Freedom of Speech

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Sep 21, 2007.

1. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 21 2007, 08:00 AM) [snapback]515769[/snapback]</div>
    I disagree. The value of the publicity to the Iranians is greater than any "heat" generated by questioning.

In the translation provided to his people and the Arab street, the Americans will come off as buffoons and the President of Iran as a grand defender of the Muslim faith.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roryjr @ 2007 09 22 02:08) [snapback]516111[/snapback]</div>
    Freedom of Speech is not an exclusively American concept.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Sep 22 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]516192[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, this seems to be the big "fear"...OMG, he'll use it to make the US look bad!!! So what?! He's going to make the US look bad if he's denied the chance to speak too..."They're afraid of what we have to say. They're weak and they know the era of the infidel Americans is coming to an end! We will prevail. All Praise to Alah!"

By allowing him to speak, by giving him pointed questions and then dissecting the replies I think the American people can be allowed to see him for what he is. Not allowing him to speak gives the impression that we're afraid of what he has to say. He's not going to win any converts by being allowed to speak. I think the 'publicity' side of this thing is being blown far out of proportion and we're ignoring the advantages we have by being able to question him on our turf under our rules.

I'm certainly not afraid of what he has to say.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's an interesting dilemma. Do you give the guy enough rope to hang himself, or do you shoot first and ask questions later?

5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 22 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]516202[/snapback]</div>
    Well, don't be surprised if in a few days after Ahmadinejad does his little stunt (especially if his responses appear to be more of scripted statements), there is a translation that is put up on all of the jihadi web sites. This ploy is nothing new... the Soviet Union used it in the 1960s and 1970s - they are basically playing to their base and those recruits that are leaning toward joining but need a little "push".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 22 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]516202[/snapback]</div>
    The questions that he doesn't want to have published will not be published on the jihadi websites. Any attempt to provide an objective counterpoint will be dismissed as crusader propaganda.

I am more concerned with giving him a forum to spout his invective or an opportunity to turn the forum to his propaganda objectives for his audience. If you think back a bit, Ahmadinejad was on the ropes politically. The Iranian economy was taking hits left right and center. Even his backers were distancing themselves from him. Then what happens? The brilliant minds that got us into the Iraq cesspool start rattling sabers. Guess what? Ahmadinejad gets a new lease on life. Giving him a forum to tweak the nose of the great satan is not the best use of resources.

6. roryjr

roryjr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 22 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]516197[/snapback]</div>

Not my point. Freedom of speech was given as a reason why we could not refuse him. Freedom of speech in the United States is protected by the Constitution for it's citizens. He is not a citizen and therefore he is not entitled to freedom of speech here and has no protection against being denied free speech. I do know that it is not a concept practiced in his country.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Sep 21 2007, 10:22 AM) [snapback]515858[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, I agreed with you on something. :)

Preventing one side from expressing a point of view is never a good thing when conflict is invloved. But hey, why should we listen to the other side when our war machine is ready for action. Kill em all and let god sort em out right? *shakes head*

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You are giving too much credit where credit it not due. <_<

You know very well that all Ahmadinejad needs to do is wave is finger at the crowd, say, "Bush is a bad man, a very bad man" . . . and as a result, half of the liberals in the audience and here on PriusChat will be nodding their heads in agreement with any thing else he has to say for the rest of the night. ;)

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Sep 23 2007, 09:26 PM) [snapback]516742[/snapback]</div>
    The truth is the truth regardless of who speaks it... Bush is a bad man, a very bad man. Or a complete buffoon. Hahaha

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 23 2007, 09:49 PM) [snapback]516748[/snapback]</div>
    Or, completely delusional....

11. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 23 2007, 09:49 PM) [snapback]516748[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Sep 23 2007, 10:02 PM) [snapback]516755[/snapback]</div>
    Point being that all Ahmadinejad needs to do is utter those words and half of the liberals will be in a catatonic trance and nodding their heads in agreement for the rest of the night.

Thank you for so diligently demonstrating the Pavlovian response those words induce in many of you liberals. :p

12. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Sep 23 2007, 10:20 PM) [snapback]516763[/snapback]</div>
    Wonder who is Pavlovian? Is the pot calling the kettle black?

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 23 2007, 11:23 PM) [snapback]516730[/snapback]</div>
    I am all for the freedom of speech - let Columbia do what it wants to - like inviting hitler to speak - a quote from one of their Deans right after Yom Kippur - it does not mean it is the right thing to do. I find it interesting that we Armadjihad is taking advantage of rights and liberties in this country while denying it to his own. Whatever. Could always be worse.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 22 2007, 01:21 PM) [snapback]516206[/snapback]</div>
    i highly doubt bollinger's questions will be anything more than lobbed softballs - we shall see in a few hours. Anyway, it appears as though this is generating significant ill will towards Columbia from its students, to its alumni, to local politicians - good thing freedom of speech - also a good thing the responsibilities that go along with it and reactions on how it is employed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 22 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]516202[/snapback]</div>

i highly doubt bollinger's questions will be anything more than lobbed softballs - we shall see in a few hours. Anyway, it appears as though this is generating significant ill will towards Columbia from its students, to its alumni, to local politicians - good thing freedom of speech - also a good thing the responsibilities that go along with it and reactions on how it is employed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Sep 22 2007, 01:21 PM) [snapback]516206[/snapback]</div>
    I prefer shooting first in this case :D although hanging is a worthy option. Perhaps an Iranian made EFP/IED - that would be "iranic".

Anyone notice their new long range missile they displayed last week? I think they have that sucker up to a range of 1800 miles. Another year or two they should be able to reach the US - just in time to put a little nuke on top of it.

14. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 24 2007, 03:47 AM) [snapback]516799[/snapback]</div>
    More like a dirty bomb - the science of building high-yield lightweight devices is nontrivial. Notice the effort that Iran is making toward acquiring a seat at the nuclear club - a uranium based bomb. The uranium bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima was not even tested before being dropped (and the total weight was somewhere around 8,000 lbs.). With enough centrifuges and time, you can get to the requisite critical mass of U-235. 8,000 lbs of casing, control circuitry and fusing explosives later, you have a functional device.

However, you have a valid point about being able to threaten countries with even a dirty bomb. Which is why all of the uproar over the theater-specific anti-missile system that is under construction in Poland and the Czech Republic. But even without an anti-missile system, to credibly threaten people with nukes requires more than one device. Look at the recent "incident" in Syria (where Israel conducted air strikes that reached out and touched a secret Syrian facility). If Iran were to credibly join the nuclear club, there would be action taken against it one way or the other. Me thinks Syria was made an example of to give a wake-up call to the mullahs in case they got carried away drinking their own Kool-Aid....

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the range of the current missle is just over 1000 miles..it was just enough to reach Israel.
    I hardly think they're going to be able to build anything that can reach the US in the next decade...probably longer.

16. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 24 2007, 04:56 AM) [snapback]516814[/snapback]</div>
    They may not have to build a delivery system - they could buy it from North Korea.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Sep 24 2007, 07:04 AM) [snapback]516817[/snapback]</div>
    True that, I forgot about our good friends in the East.

18. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 21 2007, 11:39 AM) [snapback]515802[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.columbia.edu/cu/rotc/

Cough.

So they have to travel to other schools within the Bronx to take their courses.. it certainly seems like they can officially enroll with Columbia's sanction.

19. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roryjr @ Sep 22 2007, 09:08 AM) [snapback]516111[/snapback]</div>
    Really! The American constitution says freedom of speech is for American citizens only? I don't believe that. If so then it is an oxymoron. I believe fundamentally, in a country, whatever rules govern what someone has the right to say should be the same regardless of their nationality, creed, colour, religion, race, sex, age etc..

Article 19, Universal Declaration of Human Rights: ' Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through the media and regardless of frontiers.'

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Sep 24 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]516824[/snapback]</div>
    The point is that Columbia does not allow ROTC on campus - why not? Where is their right to freedom of speech?