1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Combination Display suddenly "failed" (after being replaced last year!)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by WilDavis, Sep 4, 2017.

1. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As I was driving home last night, just after it had started to get dark, I said "Let there be light!" switched on the lights (hint hint), and there was light (…and you could see for miles!:rolleyes:) …but imagine my horror and that "sinking heart" feeling, when I looked down and saw there was NO combination display! The local dealer had replaced the CM under warranty last year (see threads passim).
    Buggeration, I thought! , so I drove home with no instruments (speedo, gas-gauge, drive-select), thinking, oh well, back to the dealer tomorrow, still within the warranty, at least I know what the form is! Could be worse (I could be in Houston! :eek::eek:), anyway, arrived home and on close examination, noticed that the "dimmer-wheel" (to the left of the steering-wheel) was in the "OFF" position. (How the hell did that happen? o_O) Wound the wheel up, all is good! Phew!!! :eek:(y);)

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gremlins?

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    NH gremlins? Perhaps! …but come to think of it, I've not driven at night (…thus needing lights) for at least a couple of weeks, and the only thing that might have happened in the area of the dimmer-switch was the addition of a push-button I fitted when the Wolo "Bad Boy" was installed (see threads passim) - the dimmer-switch may have been nudged into the "OFF" position during that procedure! I think that must be the answer! :)

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Glad it was a simple fix;).

When we were out east visiting my folks in July my old man had just gotten a new to him 2005 GMC Sierra with ~112 k miles in it. He had never driven it at night. When we went to my brothers house in CT for the weekend we had the truck on its first night voyage only to find out that the headlights were pitched at such an angle that the fog lights were the only means to get us to the hotel:confused:.

When I told my old man about it, he said he wasn't concerned, and when he realized that he would be driving it that night in the dark, he wanted to look a little closer into the issue:cool:.

Had to Bush fix the headlights with some sticks that were laying around and the beam pattern was good enough until he got home to his tools;).

It was an interesting evening drive through Stamford(y).

WilDavis likes this.
  5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love the simple fixes, bush or otherwise! ;)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I actually liked working on the Sierra's headlights. 2 pins and the whole housing comes out:)!

Better than trying to replace the Prius bulbs where our arm is marred or blood is drawn :(.

He doesn't like the affectionate acronym for GMC I use: Get the Mechanic Coming:ROFLMAO::D:p:LOL:.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought for sure you moved it whilst doing your weekly polishing of the dash.:cool:

WilDavis and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're just wikkid jealous (as well you should be) of my sparkling, shiny dash! O bisco (of the DullDash Brigade!)

…an' anyway my dash is polished daily!!!! :eek::eek::rolleyes:

bisco likes this.