1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Combination meter diy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jack08, Dec 8, 2015.

1. jack08

jack08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After scouring the web unsuccessfully for the fix to my 08 prius with 280k? miles on it I decided to just tear into it. The attached picture is what i found to be the problem. I soldered c70 back on and my car worked great for one day(same part failed again).
    If the fix is simply to swap out c70 then this is an easy diy or 5 min of shop time(cheap). The problem is- what is the value of this component?

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      162 KB
      Views:
  2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The problem is that something is causing C70 to fail, the solution might be to find out what is causing the failure. Replacing the component is akin to replacing a blown fuse without determining the cause!

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not obvious what is the problem:

1. Did C70 actually fail or was a solder joint the problem?
    2. If the problem is with the solder joints then do you have the correct tools/skill to replace surface mount components?
    3. If C70 actually failed, how did you know what component value to replace it with?
    4. The cost of a new capacitor is typically very small, in the pennies, shipping will cost much more than the part itself, mouser.com is one source (assuming you know the specs of the capacitor including capacitance and voltage rating.)
    5. Referring to your photo, there are two solder joints below C70 associated with a multi-pin connector which look pretty bad.

4. jack08

jack08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I took off the resistor 6r8 (the green one in the pic). Tested it and it had failed to the open position (no resistance at all).
    I just now replaced the resistor 6.8 ohm, and since i did not know the capacitor value i chose one of similar size from another pcb. Not ideal but without the schematic how could i get the value of a toasted capacitor? Besides I read that size can give some indication to the value so why not...
    Dash is lit up again, been a couple hours now.

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …as I mentioned in my earlier post, I think your problem is unlikely to be fixed by simply replacing the blown component. You might be better advised advised to seek the source of the problem! Good luck! (…and if you still don't understand what I'm trying to tell you, the very best of luck! (…because you're gonna need it!))

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you say the "dash is lit up", I assume you mean that the combination meter is working right now?

I agree that 6R8 = 6.8 ohms, so that is a good value regarding resistor R111. Did the replacement resistor remain at 6.8 ohms or did it also blow?

How did you determine that capacitor C70 had failed? Did the original C70 have any markings on it?

It looks like the replacement capacitor is not soldered very well to the pads. You are right that there is no way to determine its value since there are no visible markings - unless you use a capacitance meter to measure it.

7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …the only other advice I have might be that when you eventually determine the value of the blown capacitor, it might be more economical to try to get a bulk deal and buy several hundred, since until you find the cause of the problem you'll likely use a lot of them! :rolleyes:

8. scottymac62

scottymac62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just had my Combo meter repaired by a guy on Ebay. When I received it back, I could see which component was replaced because he did not clean off the solder flux. It was the power transistor, Part # "NEC C4552" . I have circled it on the picture. So far, it has worked flawlessly.
    I just thought all of you would like to know.

Attached Files:

dizzyharper and Patrick Wong like this.
  9. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I always wondered if these repairs last... any update on this post would be helpful