1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

combination meter for 09 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Arteach, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Arteach

Arteach New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The combination meter on my 09 Prius just went bad. This is a known defect so Toyota did a warranty for nine years. Of course mine didn’t fail til now. I am in Green Bay, Wisconsin, a 1000 miles from my home in Georgia. The dealer here basically is telling me I’m out of luck and have to pay full price for repair. I called Toyota and they basically said the same thing. WHY? If this is a known defect, why not at least some help with repair?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a frustrating experience for everybody. You can always make a complaint to nhtsa and let them know your experience. It's considered a safety issue as many times you can't shut off your car when this occurs.

You can get a used/fixed combination meter from Matt and texashybridbatteries.com

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In life, what you want and what you get are two very different things.

Assuming you already called/contacted Toyota Customer Support, and they said NO, there is nothing you can do. You can attempt to sue, but that costs money; since you are not Warren Buffet or Jeff Bezos, I will assume Toyota has more money than you to sustain/win such a fight.

Do as JC says. Buy a repaired combo meter from a reputable souce, like Matt, and be done.
    $225upfront costs = $150 repaired combo meter + $75 core refunded upon receipt of your old combo meter.

$150 will be your final costs. Amortize this over the 9 years of your 2009, $150/9yrs = $16.67/year. Pretty cheap repair, IMO.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you sure it’s the meter and not the 12v?