1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Combination meter how to get to turn on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by robl45, Oct 15, 2019.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can't believe how much we're trying to point you in the right direction to solve the problem and it's completely ignored. You're asking for a type of solution that doesn't exist. We could just as easily tell you to punch the steering wheel as hard as you can until the dash turns on. There is NO magic combination of switches, etc that will miraculously make a failing circuit work every time. Anyone doing a magic combo is merely causing super small changes in the overall 12v circuit that, at some point, may or may not cause some type of flicker/transient that pushes the circuit over the edge (this time, but probably not next time). So, either invest a few bucks and fix the caps, or just keep flicking switches and knobs or 'whatever' until it turns on.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Clap you hands three times and spin around clockwise.
    Usually works most of the time.
    :)

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that only works in the northern hemisphere. Something to do with the coriolis effect. :D

4. eljefino

eljefino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    You're unemployed so you have plenty of time.

Harbor freight has a perfect pencil tip soldering iron for $3.

220 uf caps are 5/ $0.99 on ebay.

Watch youtube, have fun. Maybe find some e-waste like an old motherboard if you want to practice soldering first.

Money saved is money earned.

5. Brian Hurst

Brian Hurst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've got this problem, too, with my 2005 Prius - annoying. I saw Toyota issued a warranty extension to deal with the faulty combination meters in Priuses issued between 2004-2009 that lasted until 2013 or 2014, which doesn't do me much good having bought the car at a municipal auction in 2017 (why that city didn't get the problem fixed, I'm not sure).
    It is a p.i.t.a. sometimes.

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Danny13pruisc3

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So many negative people here..
    Turn on highbeams.. roll back windows up and down while repeatedly trying to start.. within 10 to 20 tries it has a good chance oof coming back on for me... if not i give up and drive.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, it is a good idea to wreck your good $250 12 V battery just to save a one-time $150 repair to the CM, cheaper if you DIY.

9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    10 or 20 tries to start the car? Call me crazy but I prefer it if something actually WORKS when I turn it on. If it doesn't work then it's broken and I better fix it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

dolj likes this.
  10. Larry Newman

Larry Newman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    jerrymildred is correct. There's a capacitor on the board that tends to fail over time especially in cold weather for whatever reason. It's very cheap to replace and something that'll take a few hours to get out of the car if you haven't disassembled the dashboard before. The hardest part is probably just enduring the patience required to take off every panel on the dashboard without chipping or breaking them. If the combination display doesn't turn on, there's a number of things that won't work like taillights, backup camera, I believe A/C controls won't work on the MFD, etc. You can still drive the car but it'll be difficult to explain to an officer why your taillights won't come on in the middle of the night but your headlights will.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think when I first saw Danny13's post, I took it as a tongue-in-cheek response to earlier posts in the thread.