1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

combination meter question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dalen, Apr 15, 2013.

1. dalen

dalen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2008 with just slightly over 120,000 miles. I recieved the CM notice form Toyota a few months ago. I have only experienced the dash not coming on one time, about 20,000 miles ago. I'd like to know if I should go ahead and have the warrenty work done "just in case"? I've had all the required maintenence done since we bought it new in April 2008. Thanks for your opinions everyone.

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota will approve the work only if the combination meter is not functioning properly when you bring it in to a stealership.

So, no you can't get a "just in case" repair for it.

3. dalen

dalen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks but my dealer saidhe would do the work since I did have th
    at one episode. So the question remains...should I have the combination meter replaced??

4. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems as if your dealer wants to take you for a ride. If you let them do the work, YOU will pay for it.

Toyota will reimburse you only if the condition exists.

You have no proof that it occurred and it's not malfunctioning now, right?

You do not meet the criteria according to the Warranty Enhancement -ZTV memo that Toyota sent to dealers.

5. dalen

dalen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the clarification

6. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was under the impression the dealer was not required to replicate the problem.

From Item 6 on page 2 of the Prius Combination Meter Warranty Extension:

I sure hope this is the case as my 2008 is at the dealership right now to replace the combination meter based on my description of the problem that I had a couple of months ago when it was much colder outside.

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are correct FreydNot. If the customer has experienced it, the dealer will replace.

8. dalen

dalen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the opinions everyone. I'm back to my original question. ?.. if you experienced the dashboard not working only a few times over 20000 miles ago would you have the warranty work done?

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think I would. Why wouldn't you?

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can do it now, or you can wait a while. There is a time limit on the combo meter.

Read the attached file for more information.

Attached Files:

11. artyking

artyking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No need to wait, it will only get worse as time goes by and there is no need to replicate the issue at the dealer or provide "proof". Some folks on here ran into hard headed dealers that required proof even though the letter specifically says no need to. So, all said, do it at your earliest convenience as long as it's before the expiration, no need to do it on YOUR dime! :)

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your point is well made, however the wording of the warranty extension does allow the OP some time. Basically the extension expires nine years from the date of the Prius going into service. Who is to say that the replacement unit that Toyota will use will last a long time. It is obvious there is a problem with them. Peef has documented the solder joints breaking in them. Logically speaking, it seems like it would be better if the OP waited until a reasonable amount of time BEFORE the extension runs out for his/her car and then have Toyota foot the bill. I am not saying to drive with a completely broken combination meter. However, if it is working now why fix it when the repair can be done later on down the line. As I previously stated, who knows if the replacement unit will be any better than the original part.

13. artyking

artyking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying the REPLACEMENTS are have solder breaking in them too?? I thought they had corrected those issues as well as the 299K limit in them. And like I said...earliest CONVENIENCE before expiration. If that's in 3 years...ok :)

14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am saying that we (the end user) have no idea if the solder joint problem has been fixed. It is too soon for the replacements to be breaking down as the originals usually fail after a few years.

Are you aware of any documentation stating that Toyota has fixed the defective solder joints? The way I see it, they are simply acknowledging a defect in the product and are trying to stand behind the product to protect their image.

I agree that convenience before expiration is important, however why rush it? The OP still has at least two more years and possibly three years. It all depends on when his/her Prius was purchased and put into service.

15. artyking

artyking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No rush...but I wonder this - I replaced mine 3 years (ish) after intial service date. If in 3 years it goes out again because this one is no better than the original, will they fix it yet again? Hmmm...might be a good reason to put a hurry on it so the new one will jack itself up before the expiration date and get refixed...idk.

16. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No reason to believe this would happen. I'm actually surprised it happened to you in NC. I would expect failure to occur in the northern border states and Canada.

Does anyone know for sure that the replacement combination meter for the 04s and 05s can display greater than 300K miles? If so, I would want the meter in my 05 replaced strictly for this reason.

17. artyking

artyking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read on Prius chat that the 300K issue was fixed, not sure which thread anymore. As to happening in NC I personally think the road conditions likely aggravated it making it happen at least sooner if not being entirely responsible for it. It supposedly is brittle solder. I have quite a few daily miles on dirt washboard roads delivering mail. Not much subzero cold but it does get below freezing.

jadziasman likes this.
  18. bobeast

bobeast Junior Member

Strike while the iron's hot.

19. cthorsman

cthorsman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This happened to me several weeks ago. Refer to thread:

"2007 Prius won't turn off"

JMO, the letter from Toyota to owner set off some bells for me. If the meter does not work, park it and call, Toyota will pay for the tow. Toyota will pay for a rental while the vehicle awaits repair.

20. janetjanetbobanet

janetjanetbobanet Junior Member

Some of us with older Prius models are experiencing failure of the dash display and inability to turn the car off, a problem which may come and go, caused by the combination meter, this happened to me last night while driving. Toyota is telling me that, since I bought mine in February 2006 and the extended warranty they issued for this was for 9 years only, that it is no longer covered and I am facing a $1300 repair. Toyota apparently came up with this extended warranty to avoid being forced into a safety recall, but the problem is still there for the rest of us who received no letter about this and who are having the problem after the nine year cut-off. I have discovered that you can, and should, file a complaint with the National Highway Safety Administration and also with the Federal Trade Commission about this. If enough reports are filed, there will be an investigation and possibly a recall issued for the combination meter, which is probably going to eventually fail for all of us.