1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Combination Meters that stop at 299,999 miles, Who's affected and what you can do about it.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Texas Hybrid Batteries, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry I misunderstood.

2. mrtrevor6162

mrtrevor6162 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm at 266k currently and will most definitely be purchasing the upgrade when the time comes. I'm wondering if you might know about a similar electrical circumstance with my 04. I swapped 06-08 leather seats in and the passenger side seat belt pressure sensor plug has only two wires on the 06-08 seat where the harness on the 04 car has three wires. The airbag wire plug fit perfectly. If I jump the three wires on the harness would it trick my car into thinking the front passenger seat is always occupied for proper air bag operation?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Matt- will you also sell replacements or repair services for those of us with 2006+ models in which the screen goes black? I'm not in need now, but just planning ahead.

Chris

4. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Chris,
    Yes we sell replacement meters for those that have failed. That's actually what prompted us to start repairing and reprogramming the meters to start with. The upgrade for owners with maxed out odometers is just another benefit of being able to reprogram the meters.

I hope this thread hasn't confused anybody with the typical failed / blacked out combination meter. If your Prius is more than 9 years old and your combination meter has failed we can ship you a replacement meter that has been rebuilt using the same upgraded components that Toyota uses in the new meters. We have meters in stock for the 04-05 Prius as well as the 06+ Prius. The price is $140 and typical installation time is 2 hours. When your done you send the old "core" meter back to us. There are some eBay services that are a little cheaper but you'll have to ship your meter to them and wait a week to get it back. With our service you don't have to be without your car for a week.

If your car is less than 9 years old it should be under warranty and you should take it to Toyota and get a free replacement.

Matt

m.wynn, Rph74 and valde3 like this.
  5. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If anybody is interested in the odometer limitations of the new style combination meters here you go. I think we'll be good for a while. :)

upload_2017-1-26_14-25-38.png

Matt

Rms2005 and strawbrad like this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You ran out of fuel :D :LOL:

Rms2005 likes this.
  7. John Kinney

John Kinney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you so much for this.
    This is really great work, I can't believe you figured it out !
    I am really happy about this.

I am at 390,000 miles and counting.
    I just watched the whole video on LIGHT CLUSTER removal from BOULDER HYBRIDS.
    Looks like there are other shorter videos to.
    Here is the one I looked at.

Looks like a pretty easy job.
    Now that I have slight knock in one cylinder (mechanic says oil not pumping all the way on startup and idle).

I am not sure I will do this since my car may not make it much longer, I am not sure how long this condition can persist with total failure.
    Still goes highway speed at 44 MPG.

I like the price, and the job does not seem that difficult.

Seems like 25-30 screws and some prying, and clips.
    Of course there is the little clip that hold the side airbag cover on.
    Looks like you rotate that one 180 degrees then it releases.

I just have to justify $150 for this car.

Let me think it over for a day.
    Maybe when I get my taxes back in a few weeks.

Haskins likes this.
  8. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    John,
    390,000 is fantastic! I completely understand where your coming from, a car with almost 400K and an engine knock could quit at anytime and who could complain if it did. :) Hard to justify spending money on something that's not critical to the cars operation.

Thanks for posting Boulder's video, he did a very good job and that's the main reason I haven't bothered to make a how to video myself.

The things that I find people have the most trouble with is the plastic trims around the air vents. They break easily so you don't want to be to rough with them. The screw covers in the upper glove compartment can be hard to get off and the clips on the pillar trims that you mentioned. In the video he said you needed a long pair of needle nose pliers but I've found that any size will work fine. In fact since you have to grip the tap and turn it 90 degrees I think I prefer a shorter pair of pliers.

Thanks,
    Matt

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look forward to the 999999+ club. :)

Question: Does it stay at 999999 or does it roll over to 000000?

10. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like another market opportunity . . . (y)

11. Barry Lukkes

Barry Lukkes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to bump an old thread. I live in the Netherlands and my 2005 Prius odometer stuck at 299999 kilometers (not miles, in miles that's only aprox. 187k miles).
    I got a 2007 model cluster from the junkyard and I want to reprogram the eeprom myself to the correct number of kilometers (right now about 315k km), but I have the follow questions:
    1. Is there a way to power up the circuitboard on one's working desk just to check before reassembly?
    2. The eeprom is located underneath the display, but at the other side of the circuitboard there are some testpads. So can anybody provide me instructions if (and then: how) it is possible to interface between eeprom and programmer without removing the display and the eeprom?
    Thanks!

12. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    After digging around a bit, I found this old thread. Time for brain picking the team as combo meters are not my area of expertise. The 2005 my son drives for school had the combo meter act up once about 2 years ago. It's gone nuts the last couple weeks, so we're planning for a combo meter swap very shortly. His car is around 285k miles right now. Until last night, I had forgotten I have a complete 2007 dashboard squirrelled away in the corner of the shop from a purchase I made off a guy who disassembled a side impact 2007 with ~230k. Reading through this thread leads me to believe I could just install the 2007 dash into his car and it would be all good. (other than the TPMS light, which didn't exist on the 05). We're not concerned about the odo reading, as this car will never be sold.

Any thoughts/opinions on this? Passenger side airbag issues? The 07 dash has one, but I don't remember if the 05 does.
    Better off just swapping the complete cluster instead of the entire dash?

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Call Matt at texashybridbatteries, he'll tell you what to swap over. He does this type of swap all the time

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no thoughts re the airbags. The minimum you need to swap is the light cluster and the combo meter. The only thing you need to do is to remove the TPMS LED from the light cluster which is a simple and straight forward matter, otherwise you will have that light on all the time. The 05 does not have TPMS. After that you are good to go.

15. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I looked at Matt's website a bit this morning. I was just debating if it would be a direct swap of dashboards to minimize the amount of disassembly I would have to do. It's going to be a busy weekend for me. As for the TPMS, eh. it would aggravate me, but my kid? not so much. He's already been rear ended twice and scraped the passenger side of the car against the bumper of my wife's Santa Fe when he tried to go around it in the driveway and didn't quite give himself enough room. Creased the passenger rear door and quarter panel and scuffed the paint on wife's bumper. Typical kid, he probably wouldn't even notice the light being on. None of it is damage worth fixing on a 285k car, but it sure isn't going to win any beauty contests.

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could always do the black tape solution. Cover up the light :D

17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You could always do the black tape solution. Cover up the light

This is exactly what I was thinking!!

The bossman just told me to take tomorrow off, so maybe I'll tackle this a bit earlier than expected.

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Awesome! Good work!

19. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    (For anyone looking at this old thread) Yes! This can be done (I've done it) there are several wires that must be moved in the connector, (and, you can add a backup camera too!) look at this post for details: Will 86110-47230 work instead of 86110-47081 in 2005 Base Model?
    For adding a backup camera after the swap see: Wires connection of back-up camera to MFD !!!

#39 ITBland, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the sake of 5 min with the soldering iron, it would be better to just remove the LED while it is easy to do with the light cluster out. Better than wishing you did it once it is all assembled.

ITBland likes this.