1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Combination Switch (Turn Signal Lever) Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ChonkyCat, Jan 24, 2022.

1. ChonkyCat

ChonkyCat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think my turn signal switch or combination switch has a short in it -- the left signal is on when the level is in the middle position. Found a replacement part with a 10-year warranty. My question is do we have to remove the steering wheel to access this?

Ledorian likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes.

Nothing hard about the job, just bone up on the steps for disarming the airbag system safely first, and on the right way to handle an airbag and how to and not to set one down.

One the wheel is off, the combination switch is held in place by what's effectively a jumbo version of a spring-style hose clamp. That will be frustrating without something like big Channellocks to squeeze it with. (It might still be frustrating anyway.)

3. Ledorian

Ledorian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I need to replace the wiper and turn signal switches that are located behind the steering wheel, but I can't seem to find any instructions online or on YouTube. Were you able to complete the task? If so, any advice would be appreciated.

4. Gourockian

Gourockian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This video covers what you need (and more). However, I would suggest disconnecting the negative battery lead instead of the positive one. Having changed out my upper steering column, which involves what you are asking about, I can confirm that it is a fairly simple task to replace the switch units.