1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Combo meter project—broken clips

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kurt P, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Kurt P

Kurt P Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m going to replace the capacitors on my combo meter soon since I’ve been driving without a display for months!

I have replaced the touchscreen display following advice I found on these forums so I think I can do the work. I can also handle the soldering, too, both through hole and SMD.

Before I begin on the combo meter I would like to preorder a set of all the clips that I’m likely to break when I do this. I broke one when I did the touchscreen display but it didn’t affect the vent that the clip was holding in place. All these clips seem pretty brittle. I have searched for parts diagrams but haven’t been able to find the one I need.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the clips I will run into and where I can source them in advance?

Thanks!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never had a problem with clips breaking. The more plastic you bend to the point of breaking, the better feel you get for it... I know others have had problems though... Used to be you could buy aftermarket carbon fiber vent replacements, but I just looked and can't find them.

Also the reason I'm writing is I'm wondering what the exact capacitors are and where you buy them?

3. Kurt P

Kurt P Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 3 capacitors that can go out on these models from what I understand. One that’s the main culprit, two others that you might as well replace while you’re at it.

There are posts about this on this forum and on YouTube.

I also fixed the broken clips on the spoiler that was causing it to rattle like crazy. Anyway as I was getting to the broken clips on the spoiler, I broke some more! This time I want to be prepared...

donbright likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    These are the parts I got from Mouser electronics. As stated, you only NEED the 220uF cap (the Nichicons) but I got the other two SMD electrolytic caps right next to it- the 10uF and 330uF. I got 10 of each so I can do multiple repairs. I'd imagine that DigiKey would have the same parts.
    CM caps.jpg

SFO and PriusCamper like this.
  5. Kurt P

Kurt P Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, thank you!

6. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    after covid dies down you can probably get clips at a junkyard.

i think the clips for the AC vents is likely part number 9046710203

but as PriusCamper said... ive not seen the clips break so much as the vents themselves. doesn't matter how dainty and careful... i literally had a vent break on me at the junkyard just from it's own weight after i laid it on the ground. laid it down it was fine, turned around, looked back, it was broken. There is something really weird going on with the plastic in some of the vents.

good luck

7. Kurt P

Kurt P Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good, thanks for the tip!

Looks like EEE-HV1V100R is out of stock. I can substitute it with EEE-HB1V100R. I think it’s a higher temp cap, that should work right?

8. Kurt P

Kurt P Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I successfully replaced the problem cap, reassembled and all’s well. I had to solder a few caps before I got it right (SMD caps are kind of difficult) but for the first time in a long time I have a working combo meter. I didn’t break any clips but I did break a couple of vents. Maybe I can find them in a junkyard, dealer prices are crazy!

donbright and PriusCamper like this.
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, a junkyard is the way to go.

10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can also try a soldering gun with a plastic melting tip to melt new clips to existing vents.

11. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base