1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

combo meter woes on '07

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JudyA, Dec 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JudyA

JudyA New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    We had the combination meter go dark and the hybrid system would not come up. It would not completely power down either until we inserted the fob in the dash and then withdrew it. Using an input sequence I found on this bulletin board, the combo meter lit up and was working .... at least temporarily.

We took the car to a local mechanic and had the combo meter pulled. Then we took the meter to an instrument cluster repair outfit. A few days later, we got the meter back and had the mechanic reinstall it. The car powers up normally if we insert the fob in the key slot, but it will no longer power up without the fob in the key slot. After driving the car for 20 or 30 seconds, the gas gauge starts blinking. It appears that it blinks twice at a rate of once per second. Then it waits a few seconds and and blinks twice again. It's a repeating pattern. I drove to the gas station and the car had a nearly full tank -- it was topped off with a little over one gallon.

The combo meter repair man says he thinks that a power connection ribbon may need to be re-seated. I'm concerned because the system will no longer power up without the fob being in the key slot. I'm wondering if maybe this symptom is pointing to other problems.

Any thoughts on what we could do or check? Sure would appreciate any ideas.

2. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Judy,
    Your dealing with two separate issues.

1) Your smart key system is not functioning which could be due to a dead battery in your fob or the system has been disabled. There's a button under the dash that turns the SKS on and off. There's a good chance that your mechanic inadvertently shut the system off when he was replacing your meter. It's also possible that the button was not plugged back in when the trim panels were re installed.

2) The fuel gauge is blinking because a connector was not plugged back in when the new meter was put in.

Take a look at this thread and see if it's similar to what your meter is doing Double Flash Gas Gauge on Combo Meter

I posted a picture and instructions in post #4 that will help you mechanic get everything hooked up correctly.

Matt

SFO and bisco like this.
  3. JudyA

JudyA New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

Matt -- thanks a million. The mechanic will be removing the cluster again on Wednesday and we will get this wiring squared away.

4. JudyA

JudyA New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Matt, you were 100% right.

The mechanic removed the combometer yesterday morning. After watching a bunch of youtubes, I removed the board and the white side cover -- one of the connectors under the white side cover was not plugged in. I attached it and reassembled everything. The mechanic reinstalled it and it works perfectly.

Oh ... and you were right about the key-fob being deactivated under the steering column too.

Thanks again!

SFO and bisco like this.
  5. snick

snick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Matt, my 2007 combo meter went dark. After looking at all the reports and posts, I figured that the "warranty timer" triggered and shut things down. It is a little over 150,000 miles. So, being a know-it-all Electronics Engineer, I ordered caps and a new VR per your specs, R&R'd, cleaned up, and reconnected. Imagine my shock and surprise when it didn't light up! So I started with the basics and checked the 12v fuse, wires to connector #2, and up to IG2. Then working the other way, I pulled the panel hiding the ground connection II. A 2-inch long piece of brown wire fell out, having been severed by a mouse or rat.

This brings me to my issue.... IG1 and IG2 wire colors do not match up with the colors on the schematic for the 2007! Since I couldn't get into the harness where the wire was broken, I bypassed the brown wire in IG1 to a new ground. I THINK it is pin #4, but I'm not sure how they number that connector. It didn't fire up the display, so I am taking a breath.
    I looked at the 2006 wiring diagrams and they are the same as the 2007. Any clue as to where the REAL diagram can be found? The one with the proper color coded wires?

Best, and Happy New Year,
    Gary

6. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gary,
    I'm not sure if this is the same as the wire diagram that you're looking at but it appears that IG1 pin #4 should be green on the input and brown on the output. It might be worth powering the meter on the bench just to make sure it works. Apply 12V to pins 14 and 22 on C10.

upload_2018-1-7_1-31-2.png
    There's IG1.
    upload_2018-1-7_1-43-12.png

If IG1 pin 4 going out to C10 is RED instead of BROWN then your BG is probably coming from IG2 pin 4 instead.

Matt

#6 Texas Hybrid Batteries, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. snick

snick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thank you, Matt. I'll dive back in!