1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Come to a smoke check station this morning and they reject my smoke check because of Oil Catch Can i

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by htcmember, Jul 11, 2022.

1. htcmember

htcmember Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Pals,

Just for your information on it in case you're coming to a smoke check deadline. Quite funny even nothing wrong with my car and he said that i did not keep it original so he could not approve/accept on the smoke checking

Will come to another shop, if they don't accept too, i will remove the can and join these 2 hose directly using a 3/4" to 1/2 socket

Good night all,

Riley 20220710_134555.jpg

PriusCamper likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because clearly keeping sooty oil out of the combustion process would create more not less air pollution, right? Lol... I mean they are "start certified" right? They obviously know way more about preventing air pollution than us oil catch canners, right?

htcmember likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Catch cans are illegal in California. But you probably won't have issue finding a smog check station that will pass you.

4. htcmember

htcmember Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was lucky when browsing around the web and find a nearby my current dental appointment location, and just drove to that and smog my car in less then 20 minutes. Their price also can not beat too 20220711_151740.jpg

SM-F916U1 ?

5. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t think the catch can is worth the effort. Next thing you know it gets clogged (during winter) and there you have it:)

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a label on the box of my Moroso 85474 (actually have two in series), saying something to the effect that it's not street-legal. Which must rankle the manufacturers; it's a sealed system, no breather, and all it does is collect crud that otherwise will end up in your intake manifold and/or combustion chambers.

Foxglove likes this.
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O

8. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Our winters here in California is very mild, unless your in the mountains. So a catch can out here wouldn't freeze-up and clog.

Pretty much any non-OEM equipment attached to the engine, will get you a failing mark out here.

9. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Photo and description of catch can mmm please?

10. OptimusPriustus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Clogging of pcv system is whole lot more bigger problem in automobile industry than the tiny bit of engine oil going to intake. Recalls, damaged engines due to engine oils blown out etc. Many cars have electrically heated systems to avoid clogging. I think one of the most common towing reason here up north is clogged pcv.. Repair is often easy: few hours in warm garage:)

CR94 likes this.
  11. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    A tiny bit of oil going into the intake is a huge issue on Prius

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Reaction was your occ clogged comment :ROFLMAO:

13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a decent video on oil catch cans by one of the better engineers on youtube. On gen3 Prii, Direct Injection is not the problem since the car is Port Injection. However these engines have flawed piston rings, bad egr design and a poor pcv setup. As a result the intake manifold fills up with oil and other liquids which may well contribute to the head gasket crisis. The key to a catch can is having one that effectively captures the liquid. Most don't. And having an owner that empties it. Most won't.

Interesting tidbit, the newest Toyota hybrid max system has a catch can built into the intake manifold. Plus the engine does not have an egr. Not sure how it drains but other manufacturers have an automatic drain to the crankcase.

14. OptimusPriustus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Every combustion engine car has pcv and tiny bit of oil going in. Maybe 1% of the Prius oil consumption is due to pcv. I wish it was much more because then i would immediately install three OCC’s in series:D

Half Vast likes this.