1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ComforTreds and MPG drop question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bulldog, Jul 29, 2006.

1. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have an 06 Prius and our other vehicles are a Lexus GX 470 and new 4R, honestly so far the only thing I don't like about the Prius is the roadnoise. Both our other vehicles have virtually no roadnoise on any surface. Being a small car the Prius also feels a bit less surefooted on the grooved highway and rough surfaces.

From all the threads I have read that the Comfortreds will most probably help a lot in both those areas compared to the Integrity's. SO far a lot of good reviews here for them, however there seems to be varying reports on the MPG hit. Most of the posts I have read sates the folks only had the COmfortreds for a short period. ALso some state that the new tires need to break in a bit before mileage goes back to normal.

My question is for folks that have had the Comfortreds for a while and replaced the Integrity's, what kind of MPG hit will I be looking at if I change?? Short and longer term.

The Prius has just got a 1000 mile son it so I can get about $100 for trading the old ones in and there is a $50 mail in rebate at Americas tire currently for 4 Good years. So it will cost me around $250 to get new tires now, making it ideal to swap while the car is new and let everything break in.

I will get the car in for a quick oil change tomorrow (get the initial oil out after 1K miles) and have the wheel alignment checked. Thus timing would be perfect to change now. Oh and I read they have a big improvement in wet traction, which will be required when winter rolls in here. No snow driving for required.

2. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i have an '04. got 47K on the integritys, didn't like 'em much, noise never bothered me, but only a fair handler, and didn't like the wandering.
    bought comfortreds, lost 2-3 mpg, and didn't like them either, traded them (discount tires does that in the first 2 weeks or so, only charge is labor) for the tripletreds, i like them very much, they're a bit larger, no problem, no wandering, and the same 2 mpg loss when taking into account the size change from 185 to 195.
    which gripes me.
    now i have to cruise at no more than 64 to make 51 mpg. and that's what i do, happily.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I disliked the Integrity tires from the ride home from the dealer, so I replaced them with the ComforTred tires immediately. I don't have a baseline to compare MPG, but I seem to get about average MPG, 48-52 without trying. I did get an MPG boost after 6000 miles, but I don't know if that was the car or tires breaking in.

I like the handling, both wet and dry, and they are MUCH quieter than the Integrity tires. The Prius seems to have minimal sound insulation in the doors, so compared to your Lexus, it will be noiser, unless you add some sound deadening material.

4. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thx for the replies so far.

I dont expect the Prius to be as quiet as the other vehicles, but at least better than it currently is. To be honest the 4R and GX puts a Lexus LS to shame in terms of road noise on the roads around here.

I'll be happy if the Prius averages 50MPG, so it seems like I found the solution. Currently on 45-46 or so I think.

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I replaced the Integritys with Goodyear Viva2s and lost 2-3 mpgs right from the start. The Viva2 is noisier and, although it has a 440 treadwear index, it's wearing faster than the Integritys--I doubt they'll last 35,000 miles. My next set of tires will be Integritys!!

6. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well I swapped out the Integritys for Comfortreds and must say there is a vast improvement in roadnoise and ride comfort. Handling and highway stability also improved somewhat.

I have not noticed any difference in mileage, but the Prius only had 1300 miles on it when I changed. So I don't think I will notice a difference in mileage.

I changed at America's tire, traded in the old tires and got the lifetime repalcement warranty, life time rotate/balance, etc on the new ones. AFter mail in rebate and trade in of the old tires it cost me $350 after taxes, etc. Well worth it as the Prius drives so much nicer now and is a lot quiter on coarse road surfaces.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Makes me wish my tyres would wear out lol. But then again, tyres are damn expensive in Canada. The Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus that we put on my dad's Camry was nearly Cdn$1,000 after it was all said and done. Holy crap. (yeah.. $239++ per tyre or thereabouts). Apparently, the MXV4 Plus are cheaper in the States. Argh.

8. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Have comforttreads...mileage is 45-52 more-less...nice ride...remember ramp up the pressure to 42psi front and 40 psi back...when i put them on...the tire dealership was 32psi all the way around...

9. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wb9tyj @ Aug 5 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]298374[/snapback]</div>
    Tehy had mine at 35F/33R as per spec. I bumped it up to 37/35, might go to 38/36 and see how the ride is. I'll probably keep bumping it 1 PSI till the ride starts to suffer adn then go back.