1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

coming from honda civic hybrid...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by tihsad, Feb 22, 2011.

1. tihsad

tihsad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi.. im... no i was driving honda civic hybrid... i just bought the prius... and starting to like the new gas mileage haha.. anyways.... i'm just checking in and im looking forward to this forum with much info... until i get fisker or tesla haha

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have a HCH (2005) and it is horrible when compared to the Prius. All the little quirks like the AC not working when the engine shuts off and the absolute lack of power coupled with the rear seats not being able to fold down and you wonder why we even bought them!

Prius is much better overall, and gets better mileage too. Welcome to the club. :)

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh boy... try telling that to some of the HCH/Insight II fanboys/anti-Toyota folks over on greenhybrid.com... :rolleyes:

4. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    haha me too! Used to own a Civic before it was total loss. Decided to buy a Prius due to its high gas mileage, look, and much better features than any Hondas. (but somehow I decided to keep my screen name from the Civic forum)

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^We'd eat them for breakfast.

6. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You made the right choice finally.
    Welcome to our club.

7. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's weird. Why are there no Toyota forums on GreenHybrid? Is that just a site for the car companies trying to play catch up?

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

9. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :welcome:

10. White-Wagon

White-Wagon New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh man.... I have owned a lot of cars in my time, and the 2007 HCH I owned was by FAR, the WORST ever. The car drove me nuts. It had zero power and got crappy fuel economy. I really like the interior and having the digital gauge above the steering wheel... etc. But the performance was A W F U L.

:boom:

11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had my stepfather drive his 05 HCH down from western CO last month so I could either fix his IMA pack or retrofit one with Gen II cells (and have chosen the latter). I sent him my emergency Autel scan tool to reset the DTCs. I told him that if he really babied the car, staying light on the throttle and brakes to avoid heavy boost or regen, it would keep the IMA light from coming on too frequently and thus keep the DC converter running and the 12V charged. The result of the trip was a 49 mpg tank in the middle of winter, his best ever, after 110,000 miles of ownership. No IMA light either.

My sense is that Honda learned next to nothing from all the work on the Insight and just cobbled together the HCH in order to keep existing customers from defecting to Toyota.

Coming from an HCH, you will love the Prius.

On the other hand, I love my Insight. Once the engine is worn out it will become an EV.

12. tihsad

tihsad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    first of all 2 and a hlaf years ago when i bought the HCH 08... the gas over here in CA was going upto $4.... i had just started working a salesjob... i was and i am still doing somewhere around 3k miles a month. i wanted to get me a prius and called around... no body had 'em and they werent doing any deals for 'em.. so i decited to call my honda guy and he gave me 2k off and i as getting that 1k tax credit.. so i jumped onto the HCH.. it served me well averaging 40mpg.. although gauge told me 37-38... i got 400 miles to a tank with 10 gal... so i assumed i got 40mpg...

coming to prius now... im loving the new mpg... im getting 52.5 mpg as of right now with 390miles on it... gonna go 450 with this tank.. i think and fill 'em up..

only complain is the toyo/lexus SOFT ride and seat height... which ive never liked...
    ive owned numerous hondas and currently own bmw 550i.... i like 'em hard and heavy steering... all the toyota and lexus that ive had never liked the ride too soft shall i say grandma ride.. ahha

first...i think im gonna lower the prius asap... with decent springs..

secondly, i will search and search for bigger rims and wider tires so i get more grip on the road... with MINIMUM mpg loss...

im happy to join this FORUM and im hoping to get much help from the people as possible...

in conclusion,,,

HAPPY PRIUSing...

haha does this sound wierd??

13. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Its really only americans that equate a hard ride to being sporty...

As for bigger wheels and tires with more grip making a minimal impact on mpg... Ain't gonna happen. That's a contradiction in itself. Bigger wheels alone and you are looking at 2-3mpg hit. Add grippy tires and you just shot under 40mpg more than likely.

There are so many stories of people waiting until gas was "so high" to consider buying a better car, it amazes me. Cheapest petrol in the 1st world and $4/gal makes everyone crazy running out to buy a new car. At least you have the foresight now, and that's all we can hope for. :)

Anyways, :welcome:

14. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure if I would ever classify my Prius's ride as 'soft'. At best firm and jittery at 37/35.

Well, maybe compared to a Mack Truck. :D

15. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went from an 07 HCH to my 10 Prius as well. Each car has it's pros/cons associated with them. A couple I noticed for me:

- Ride quality: HCH
    - FE: Prius
    - NAV: HCH (Even despite entering "unverified area" on my way to Cedar Point)
    - Handling: HCH
    - Headlight access: Prius by a TON
    - Storage capacity: Prius
    - Acceleration: Prius

Overall, I like the Prius better. Considering the price was idential OTD between the 2 vehicles, I feel the Prius is definitely the better bargain. I always felt the HCH had sufficient power for city driving, the highway is where it really struggled. Maintaining 75mph was like a struggle without pushing the little ICE to its limits. But for the 80%+ of my driving, it did just fine.

To me, the HCH was a regular civic, retrofitted with a smaller engine and IMA.

16. dkelly

dkelly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I drove a 2003 HCH and was dealing with a catalytic converter failure that was going to cost me $2400 (dealer price) to replace. This is a recurring problem on the HCHs. A few years back there was a recall for a software update to help preserve the life of the CC, which of course I had done. I was trying to get Honda to cover the cost of replacement. I argued the damage had been done prior to the recall, the recall was done within the warranty period, therefore this should be covered by warranty. The service manager -- literally -- laughed when I told him I expected this to be covered.

Naturally, I was disappointed, and indicated my displeasure on the followup survey. My next time we spoke he was indignant, saying it was MY fault his guys didn't get their bonuses that month!

The following week I bought my 2010 Prius. I've been happy ever since.

In case anyone lives in the area, and drives a Honda, the dealership I dealt with was

Piazza Honda of Pottstown
    Service manager: Larry Lilley

Don't go there.

17. tihsad

tihsad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    dont get me wrong... i am falling in love with the prius more and more everyday... overall i think prius is better... thas why i wanted them 2 and a half years ago and i got them now.. the mpg is awsome i did 100 miles today with 75% highway.... im doing 56mpg... i would have got 40-42 max on HCH... LOVE IT!!!!

18. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I migrated from a '06 HCHII to my Prius. I have seen a few posters here that were on the Civic boards. I put 145,000 miles on my Civic. I liked the car. It never let me down, was low on power to be sure, but all in all it was a good car. It was in to the dealer twice in all the time I had it - both for recalls (should never have taken it back in for the software upgrade) For 2 years I knew the Prius was going to be my next car. The Prius is the best car I have owned (overall, that is. The Subaru WRX was by far the most fun).
    I have put a little over 7,000 miles on in the two months I have had it.
    This site has been a wealth of knowledge.