1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coming to U.S. in 2010: Hybrid motorcycle that gets 280mpg, 20 miles EV mode.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "Hybrid bikes will hit the market next year, offering almost 300 miles per gallon.

Environmentally conscious car and bike manufacturer Eko Vehicles will unveil the world's first hybrid two wheeler in India this May, GreenCarReports.com says.

The "ET-120 Hybrid" bike will feature a gasoline motor-electric motor combination, and will be able to go 20 miles on electric-only mode.
    The gasoline engine will offer more than 100 miles per gallon, while the hybrid mode will get an amazing 280 mpg.

Eko hopes to sell the $850 ET-120 in the U.S. in 2010.

Hybrid Motorcycle With 280 MPG Coming Soon

2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So these might do what the Volt is claiming in mpg. Interesting.

I come from the cycling industry. For many years, even through today, they have been trying to push "electric bicycles" through their dealers to end customers. Those designs have been hard to pedal due to their weight (when the power drained out), and the looks of the cycles was far from pleasing - stoopid looking, actually. Many potential customers have been scared off following a test ride. We sold a few, but in the end, not much has come from all the hype. Repairing them is another unknown, as manufactures occasionally lose interest and parts are sourced from various vendors. Even in markets that are warm and relatively rain-free, sales were always lacking.

Then comes the commuting. If panniers or another method of carrying groceries, laptops and work material was offered, and the styling of the bikes (and I'm really referring to these motorcycles too in the article linked above), the idea might take a small hold, but I've failed to see the companies involved address the commuting aspect fully. You just can't have a little plastic box above and behind the seat to haul all your stuff around. A backpack can help, but shopping would be a PITA.

This one from EVT came close, but isn't sold in the USA anymore and had reliability problems and a high cost of ownership. But it was well designed and is smart looking. Still, you can't carry much on it, so even if it didn't have the recharging problems, it doesn't make the commuting grade. (I wasn't selling these, BTW, but have been following that market for many years).

I really like the idea of this market segment, if it would be done properly and is promoted in a smart, mature well-thought out direction. As the prices drop, these might stand a chance. For a target audience my guess would be college students and for very short commuting purposes.

1 person likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I do enjoy using our E-bike for fetching stuff, milk and groceries, around the neighborhood:
    [​IMG]
    It is 31 F (0C) outside and that makes winter errands difficult. Still, it has a solid 10-15 mile range although with careful driving, that can be doubled. The biggest problem is the 48 V, sealed, lead-acid battery. With a 1/2 hp electric motor, it has enough power to handle small hills along with a little pedal power. But I understand the lack of support.

The battery charger failed from a poor design. I built a replacement from my parts box but I was disappointed by the OEM design.

I'm thinking about using my rebuilt, NHW11 modules to replace the lead-acid battery. This should cut the battery weight in half. Then I could use the extra weight for solar arrays to tickle charge the NiMH batteries. It would not be enough to put a full charge but enough to handle the self-discharge.

I have thought about putting in a small, RC model engine and alternator in as a 'range extender' but I don't like their poor efficiency and obvious emissions issues. But there are other alternatives.

Bob Wilson

ps. I use a helmet mounted, bike mirror.

1 person likes this.
  4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am really looking forward to the full-hybrid plug-in Piaggio MP3 hybrid. That is, if my wife will let me get it.

When it goes on sale during the first quarter of 2010, the Piaggio MP3 Hybrid will become the first plug-in hybrid vehicle of any kind to be sold in the United States. Capable of returning up to 141mpg, it will also be one of the most fuel-efficient. Combined with those two factors, the MP3's leaning three-wheel arrangement and low price, somewhere around $8 or $9,000, will make it a uniquely appealing product.
    141mpg Piaggio MP3 Hybrid will go on sale in USA Q1 2010 - Hell For Leather
    [​IMG]

5. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I commuted by bike (not electric) for 5.5 years as an adult and motorcycle for 1 year and it is definitely not for everyone.

I like to share my experience. There is so much shaking on a bike that you should not expect any laptop to last. Also, any lose item like change will rub against any other item, like a camera or phone and will totally scratch it up. Unless the panniers are square, all your books will have worn corners. After 1 year on the road, your cloth bags will be worn.

Bicycling is not the way to save money - you will wear out your clothes, bicycle shorts etc much faster than any savings in gasoline. And then there is all the extra laundry.

Forget fine motor control. It will take a day to recover your fine motor control. So if you are a fast typist, musician, surgeon, dentist, just forget it. You don't want a surgeon who bicycled to work to operate on you - really.

Many people don't realize this, bicycles are designed to last about 1000 to 1500 hours. After that, you will get all sorts of problems. Time to get a new bike.

Bicycling have many benefits - health etc but saving money is not one of them.

1 person likes this.
  6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll put this with the obvious technology extension that doesn't make sense. The battery and motor make the bike heavy, so worse performance and mpg from gas. The gas engine makes the bike heavier with a worse shape so slower accelleration worse handling for the electric. Its the worst of both worlds.

A better interpretation of the moped, or a better electric pedal bike makes a lot more sense. I'm not sure who would want this, but why not save the money and get a low cc bike that gets it mpg in the 70s. Or get a full electric. My prediction is there will be no spare parts or support for this albatross in 5 years.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tony posted what I wanted to post. The Piaggio MP3 Plug-in hybrid.