1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Comments on Steep Mountain Driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Jun 13, 2009.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good choice! They were likely not all even in pressure either. :(

2. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Living in the Denver metro I deal with some steep grades any time I head west. We took my daughter and to-be son-in-law up into the mountains. Yes, the battery gets drained and the engine screams its sweet little heart out, but to no apparent damage. I let the cruise deal with it if I can (that way I don't feel like it's ME that's trashing the thing, LOL). Overall it still did its usual 45 MPG, about the best I get at this altitude and in these mountains.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I've had no problems on mountain roads with Pearl. She even handles 17% grades (both up and down) well and does the curves better than most other driver/car combos. Yup, if you want to go fast up steep hills you will rev. up to 5000 RPM! But don't worry, the system will limit the revs. there and protect the engine.

BUT... "there's a hill,,,there's a hill" (you all know the music). ;)
    In the BC town of Gibsons, from the "famous Molly's Reach" inland there is this "road", paved, that goes, I swear, 40 DEGREE angle uphill. Pearl struggled to get up this thing. She went up, and even accelerated, but man, the struggle!!

4. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm afraid not - the speed limit over 17 is 50. It's 55 when you get into Los Gatos or 65 when you get to Scotts Valley.

I live in Los Gatos and frequently drive over the hill - the Prius does fine, just don't be afraid of putting your foot down if necessary.

I usually travel about 52-54 mph indicated and the engine gets up to about 3600RPM in places.

Lately there seem to have been more Highway Patrol vehicles around so you need to keep the speed down.

kevin

5. stefcat

stefcat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We don'thave much mountains here.. so I enjoyed reading the posts from you people live in the hilly parts of the country.. thanks stefcat:cheer2: