1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Comments/questions about my new Prius....

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim in NC, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all,

There are a list of questions I've been compiling that are not really problems, but differences or things I don't understand on the new Prius. Also, I have been driving a Gen 3 Prius II (2010) for 5-1/2 years so I'm not a newbie.

1. When you lift the hood, it is very difficult to find where to place the hood prop. I finally found it, but the old Prius has 2 places to put it and they're easy to find. Why did they make it harder?
    2. When I switched to the car icon on my stereo screen, it shows the energy running from the batteries, etc but the wheels are not turning. Why? On my old Prius it shows the battery flowing and the wheels turning! But that screen (Gen 3) is up on the dash, not the stereo. Do you think Toyota made an oversight?
    3. The gas door popper is up on the dash, much easier to do than the old one (on the floor)
    4. The back hatch seems much lighter and easier to open than the old one. My old one has gotten horribly heavy lately. Or maybe the new one is made of lighter material. Don't know which.
    5. At night the headlights are so much brighter I can see really well. I do worry about the other drivers getting blinded though. Could this be dangerous or could I get a ticket? Anyone else?
    6. When I first drove the car home from the dealer, it kept saying stupid things like "traffic ahead in 1/2 mile". Hasn't done that lately, but why? Maybe the dealer turned on something else?
    7. How does this car know what the speed limit is? Sometimes it puts a speed limit icon on the front window. I don't think I turned that on.

2. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll answer the questions I can answer:

2. You can still use the little screen as an energy monitor. The wheels turn.

5. A couple people had flashed their high beams at me because they thought I had my high beams on. I didn't. If you get pulled over, you could just demonstrate to the cop that the headlights are on, not the highs.

7. There's a camera that finds the Speed Limit signs. It sometimes doesn't work well. The speed limit also shows up on the navigation menu on the little screen next to the speedometer.

3. Jorlan

Jorlan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I have a 2016 PRIUS - Two...I got it back in February...I was getting around 53-54 MPG on my usual Highway drive to work and this is average for about 2 months...recently I bought the 17" PRIUS OEM Touring Wheels and had them installed on my model Two...Now I average about 49-51 MPG on the same drive...

Why is that?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    more friction. also, the diameter mat affect the speedo/odo/mpg calculation.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    4) your old struts were worn out.

6. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Least your new Prius talks to you. Mines a mute. Need to give it a blue badge.

Great topic by the way, hopefully will answer some of my own very questions eventually.

LG-H901 ?

7. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, that's a bad hit on the MPG for the wheel upgrade. Shouldn't really make much of a noticeable difference since the tourings come with those very same wheels?

Perhaps the tires are not those special low resistance types?

I'm interested at some point "upgrading" my wife's wheels to the tourings models also. But won't do it if it's going to shave off 5MPG.

LG-H901 ?