1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Common 2G Problems, and What to Do About Them...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Wong, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No surprise. Perhaps two decades ago, an automobile engine might require replacement at 100K miles or less.

You really need to check the engine oil level periodically to keep the oil level above the lower dimple on the dipstick. If you allow the oil level to get down to the point where a warning light appears, the engine is being damaged. The difference between the top and bottom dimples is ~1.6 US quarts. If a warning light appears then the dipstick is probably dry which means the oil is at least 2 quarts low.

There is no problem using synthetic oil but that probably won't reduce your oil consumption if you stay at the same viscosity.

Please keep the engine oil level above the lower dimple, or else don't be surprised when the engine does fail one day. You can expect oil consumption to accelerate as the odometer reading increases.

2. ToyotaPrius2005

ToyotaPrius2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you Patrick! I will go check my oil level regularly from now on.

Would you recommend synthetic oil over regular oil(high mileage oil)?

thanks

3. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are going to change the oil at 5K mile intervals, then mineral (or regular) oil is fine. It wouldn't hurt to use synthetic oil but it may not help, either.

I use full synthetic oil and change at 7.5K mile intervals. My 2004's engine with 158K miles is consuming oil at the rate of 1 quart per 5K miles.

There have been other recent threads regarding engine oil consumption and what other owners have done about it. Some report success in reducing consumption, so you may want to search for those discussions to see if any approach seems applicable to your car's situation.

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More like four decades ago, Patrick.

Early 90s Honda and Toyota engines routinely made it to 200K miles and more without replacement. My '79 Vette (Chevette) 1.6L engine had 170K miles on it and was still running strong. The body rusted out underneath it. :LOL:

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it also depends upon what kind of car you are talking about. For example, my 1976 VW Dasher was burning oil and producing visible blue smoke at ~90K miles while my 1985 Jaguar XJ6 Vandenplas required the cylinder head to be rebuilt at 70K miles.

6. Bruce Cameron

Bruce Cameron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've just rebuilt my 2005, engine and was utterly amazed at the distinct lack of wear evident. This car was ex government fleet with a less than enviable service history, regularly skipped and out to 25-45,000km between services. I'm astonished it didn't run dry and seize. To my surprise, despite frequent neglect it was like new inside, not requiring big-end shells at 214,000km. I simply replaced the rings because the oil control rings were stuck in the grooves due to excessive carbon, lack of servicing, light cylinder hone and head checked and cleaned. That's it!! These engines are very robust but, BUT, check your oil and change it frequently for best service life. The rings are tiny by any standards, Top-0.8mm, Second, 1.0mm, oil, 1.5mm. Despite small size, low tension and horrible neglect, they were not worn out, simply stuck up with oil residue from old oil, (lack of maintenance). These cars continue to amaze me, having 2, I can say they are by far the best cars I have ever owned.

blaisep and telmo744 like this.
  7. Tony2009

Tony2009 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    annoying buzzing noise when i Break or release from breaking. Any clue ?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's normal for the prius. Brake accumulator pump

SM-N900P ?

9. Ian H

Ian H New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ran out of fuel once, driving into a 60+ mph headwind with a kayak on top. Luckily, I also had my bike, so went and got some fuel. After putting some fuel in the tank I just had to wait a minute or so, and the car started right back up with no problems. That was 4 years ago.

10. satwood

satwood Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Patrick,

I'm surprised about your oil consumption. My 2007 just turned over 200K miles and at my oilchange intervals I still get out about the same as I put in. I don't think it even burns 1/4 quart. In fact, the old oil looks so good I run the old stuff in my lawn mowers and tractors for a while. I've had synthetic in there since the first change off the dealer's lot. Maybe that helped?

SA

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [/QUOTE]
    Hi Patrick,

I'm surprised about your oil consumption. My 2007 just turned over 200K miles and at my oilchange intervals I still get out about the same as I put in. I don't think it even burns 1/4 quart. In fact, the old oil looks so good I run the old stuff in my lawn mowers and tractors for a while. I've had synthetic in there since the first change off the dealer's lot. Maybe that helped?

SA[/QUOTE]
    I believe living in a colder climate and using a quality synthetic oil helps tremendously with oil burning. That's very impressive you have over 200k and still burn minimal amounts of oil. I'm jealous :)

12. jqmello

jqmello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *raises hand*
    The car alarm kept going off. It's not actually an alarm that can be set off by anything other than the panic button. Dying battery (possibly combined with dampness) caused the old key fob to keep setting it off... had to remove the fob battery to fix the problem. Key is easy to get out, lock works fine, and we've not a non-SKS car so it wasn't weird one inside.

Another situation where you need to know where the mechanical key is happens when the 12V battery dies. This has happened to me twice now.... well, a bunch of times in a row when the old 12V was on it's way out and I was waiting for the optima yellow top replacement, and once on the replacement - have no idea what got left on. After a day of driving everything was back in spec though.

13. Jibrail Khan

Jibrail Khan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    nice thread. it will help me . Getting much solution for this thread.

Thanks for sharing .

14. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    When this happened to me it was a stuck alarm button in the FOB.

JeffD

15. jqmello

jqmello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm... this happened again with the new battery in. I just replaced the entire fob. However, it should be noted that the car came used without the rubber button covers on the fob, so although the panic button didn't appear to be stuck, the internals may have become dirty/damp/shorted and caused the problem. This was apparently not a battery-related issue.

16. jqmello

jqmello Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just be aware that some things might be different for your car - 2010 is a Gen III vehicle, and we're talking about common Gen II problems. I'm sure a lot of it carries over, though.

17. Bobby T

Bobby T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a question. Bought used Gen 2, now has 148k miles. The car icon (with object inside icon) is blinking after powering down. Manual is saying this could be any part of the electrical system. What is the typical point of failure for this mileage? Headed to dealership tomorrow.

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please take a sharp photo of the light and post. Maybe you are just referring to the security system light which is supposed to blink when the car is IG-OFF and locked.

19. Bobby T

Bobby T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, it is. I just checked on some Google photos. Oops, rookie mistake. Thanks for the reply. I checked the manual as well, and it is the immobilizer system.

20. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I disconnected the muffler at the exhaust manifold, I now sound like a Harley Davidson motorcycle coming in for a landing!

Pioneerscot and Data Daedalus like this.