1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Common Mods

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by staze, Nov 9, 2006.

1. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

2. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Nov 10 2006, 09:42 AM) [snapback]346989[/snapback]</div>
    Does it bolt on, or are we talking welding? Where did you find the hitch? obviously the rack can be bought at any decent bike shop. =P

Thanks!

3. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(staze @ Nov 9 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]346395[/snapback]</div>
    Side moulding
    Mud flaps
    Black "bra"
    Leather steering wheel cover
    Sharkfin antenna
    Tinted windows
    Lovely Saris roof racks (not for everyday use)

And I'm seriously considering Wet Okole seat covers and armrest covers...unnecessary if you have leather.

I look at my little "doorstop" and think, "she's a bad mamajama!"

4. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(staze @ Nov 10 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]347010[/snapback]</div>
    The hitch is a direct bolt-on. It comes with full instructions, but you basically remove the rear towing hooks and install the hitch in its place.

You can buy the check from here:
    http://www.coastaletech.com/04prius.htm

Despite all the negative customer service reviews I never had a problem with them.

There is also a "Curtis" hitch, but i believe this one as some issues touching the exhaust or the lower black lip of the bumper. Nevertheless a good alternative as far as quality.

To finish it all off, go by a Toyota dealer and buy a "2" Tundra Hitch Cap". It runs between $10-14 and it's used to cap the end of the hitch (not included with the hitch).

5. c4

c4 Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Nov 10 2006, 03:37 AM) [snapback]346809[/snapback]</div>

A K&N does NOT really make a Prius breathe easier- the INZ-FXE is such a low displacement engine, coupled with the late intake valve closing and the fact that the drive-by-wire throttle virtually *never* goes full open, that the air flow requirements are absolutely miniscule- barely 250 CFM by my calculations, and this is a range where just about *any* air filter can provide adequate flow. The only real benefit of the K&N is that it is cleanable and reusable, however, be very careful when re-oling to not over-oil as too much will kill your air flow sensor (I've actually got an idea for a product improvement which is to add a second layer of *unoiled* gauze as a post-filter to catch any excess oil.. Both layers could be cleaned per normal procedure, but you just wouldn't oil the 2nd layer. Personally, I don't believe their advertising claims that the oiled gauze is as good as a regular filter element in terms of dirt capture, and indeed, there are many third party tests that seem to indicate that a lot of dirt *does* go right through, but by the same token, most if not all of that dirt would also tend to be pushed out the exhaust anyways and little if any would actually make it past the rings and into the oil supply. In any case, I do have a K&N, but only use it during wet weather as the particulate count is much lower in wet weather, and oiled gauze is better able to handle humid air (and indeed, from the water tracks on the inside of my filter box, actual water) than a paper element without clogging up... During dry weather in the summer, when it is also more dusty, I will put back on a regular Toyota filter.

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some warnings regarding the K&N filter. I saw a filter study where they plot the filtering efficiency, air flow, etc. among many other brand filters. Eventho K&N has excellent air flow, the efficiency to filter dirt particles decreased. Can't find that website anymore. Maybe do a search on PC, you might find it.

Another warning is about their 1 million miles warranty. If your engine die because too much dirt/sand passed thru the filter, good luck claiming the warranty. BBB assign them an F. http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/General/..._ID=126&sm=

7. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Nov 10 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]347035[/snapback]</div>
    So this site has a 2" and a 1 1/4" hitch. Assuming that the "2" Trundra Hitch Cap means a 2" cap, then I imagine that the hitch I would be looking for is a 2" as well. Seems reasonable since 1.25" seems a bit small for a bike rack.

Definitely going to add this to my list.

So far I've got the BT plate, Mud Guards, Probably the window guards (all here at priuschat), then the hitch. And then 5k miles from now, Mobil 1.

Being in Oregon, it might very well be better to go with a K&N during most of the year.

Does TRD make an oil filter for the prius? =P Not that you'd gain much... but I've never seen whether the normal toyota filters have a flow bypass.

8. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(staze @ Nov 10 2006, 12:35 AM) [snapback]346816[/snapback]</div>
    I have the Coastal product (1 1/4" hitch) on my car supporting a Thule bike rack. It holds 4 bikes but I never tried more than 2. No problems. I had a mechanic put it up in the air for the bolt-on but this isn't really necessary, just easier. (A roof rack will require an antenna change.)

I put the DICE in a week ago and it works fine. It's a wee bit buggy I think, but on the whole I like it. It's not too hard to install and sits out of the way in the glove box with the iPod. It sounds better than using the earphone jack output into the aux port. I don't listen to it as much as my XM radio, so am not terribly adept with it yet. The MFD shows the song and artist. Control is through the steering wheel switches or MFD.

9. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oil filters...

I do believe that the OEM Toyota filters are very good quality, but I'm a fan of K&N, Mobil1, or Amsoil filters. I have not seen a TRD Prius oil filter.

10. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Seems like a lot of you folks are confusing what a mod is. Mud flaps and a bicycle carrier are not mods.

11. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 13 2006, 11:19 PM) [snapback]348615[/snapback]</div>
    This isn't a final exam in math. I think what the OP wanted to know was what we are doing to improve our car from the stock purchase item. Any modification to that base might fairly be called a "mod." An engine swap isn't necessary. It took the same number of bolts to install my bike rack as it did for the BT brace. I consider add-ons as much a mod as a replacement.

With that in mind, I would cast a vote for my elegantly simple but extremely helpful MFD shade. Being able to see the screen clearly in the daylight glare is a big step forward. Toyota should design it this way.

12. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 14 2006, 02:19 AM) [snapback]348615[/snapback]</div>
    modification: n 1: the act of making something different

13. GreenDaize

GreenDaize New Member

Hi All, I'm kinda new here so please hang with me if I ask a silly question.

On other cars I have always installed K&N filters. Some drop in's and some modified cones. Has anyone tried that here? Not for improved power or anything but I figure that making the ICE breath better might just help out the overall MPG.

EDIT

Sorry, I guess I should leanr to look down! There is a whole thread on the subject!

14. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PhirusPriiSuck @ Nov 16 2006, 07:39 PM) [snapback]350506[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: this guy,..... I remember when I had my first beer....... :lol: :lol: :lol: