1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Common Problems with the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by boostin, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Mozaffor Sarker

Mozaffor Sarker New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Thanks

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    P0AA6 Code / 526 Information Code--need help! | PriusChat

^ This thread involves the same code P0AA6. I just skimmed, but the story as far as I read:

Car displayed this code.
    Dealership proposed to replace battery
    Battery was replaced
    Problems came back, with code--613 (as well as the standard DTC P0AA6/info code 526)--which indicated a faulty transaxle
    Transaxle was replaced

No further problems reported. While the owner was happy to have a gratis new battery, that appears to not be the problem, it was in fact the transaxle.

3. Mozaffor Sarker

Mozaffor Sarker New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Thanks

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I guess it could be the battery, the transaxle, the computers, hopefully they can eliminate guesswork. Is this all coming out of your pocket?

5. Duddy03

Duddy03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    From my experience with a 14 year old Prius: Don't loose the FOB. A new FOB and a new (small) small battery cost me $600. The other thing is tire wear if you don't rotate the tires. My thought used to be that seldom rotated tires meant you could "read" the tread and correct alignment issues without ruining all four tires. However, on some tires the back tires develop cupping if not rotated. It could also be caused by structs that need to be replaced after several years. I have a few tips if you do your own maintenance. But basically, the Prius is tops for reliability and I seldom visit the dealer except for recalls. My '18 Prime is my third Toyota and this is the first time that I decided NOT to buy the expanded warranty. Only time will tell . . . Good luck.

6. DonJuan1943

DonJuan1943 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One of the downsides of owning the Gen 4 Prius is finding a place to drain off some of the extra gas this excellent mileage provides. People look at me funny when I try to just drain it out along the road.

7. Ruby2005

Ruby2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey, y'all.
    I'm completely new to having a Prius. I've always had a Corolla up until now. Now I have a 2005 Prius with about 51,000 miles on it, but I'm having problems.

I only drive it about 15 minutes twice a day, about 5 days a week on average since I live close to work. I also live in Florida and play my stereo each time I go out.

Unfortunately now, I've lately been having the problems of:

1) The squeaking of some kind of pump that happens when I start it up, or am stopped for more than a couple of minutes.

**2) THIS ONE REALLY WORRIES ME

My car has started randomly flashing the Master Warning Light ⚠️ at short intervals. It happens when I slow down and stop, or when I take my foot off the gas and let it glide.

Tonight when driving home, it:
    -Flashed, no error code
    -Flashed, and the console pit up the oil icon
    -Flashed and the center console screen showed "PROBLEM".

Does anyone have any idea what I should do, or what's the problem?? I'm super-anxious about this, as I just started working after moving back from overseas and don't have much savings.

Also, I've been reading about needing to CHARGE your battery or something? What's that entail??

Thanks, everyone!

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked the oil level? If not, do NOT drive the car until you do. If you do not see oil between the L and F dimples on the dipstick add at least 1.5 qts of 5W-30 oil and then recheck. For your information, the amount of oil to take the level from the L mark to the F mark is just shy of 1.6 qts.

jerrymildred likes this.