1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Commuter car Dilemma - trying to do the math - a bit long

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by danmm7, Jan 29, 2014.

1. danmm7

danmm7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello Prius chat!
    Great forum. I have been reading a lot over the last few weeks and i learned a lot. Hopefully this will not be my first and last post. Trying to make a decision on joining the Prius family.

I want to do a sanity check and see if i am missing something obvious in this scenario.
    Here is the situation:

My wife recently went back to work. She has about 200 miles per WEEK commute to work - city/hwy driving mix. We're in California, so gas is never cheap here. ($3.55 today)

Currently she is driving our Lexus GX470 SUV with 117k miles and it's giving her ~15MPG. Not good. The Lexus we bought for winter trips and other recreational activities - it was never intended to be a daily commuter car. It's in great shape, paid off and it runs perfect. We are NOT going to sell it, since we need a larger 4WD SUV (trips in the mountains during the winter, 3 kids, gear to tow).
    The extra miles she is putting on it will not kill it, even though they do add up.
    ...but honestly, The 15MPG is the key issue that started this whole dilemma.

We have 3 other cars. Very Old truck (not reliable enough for commuter and bad MPG too, used for Home Depot runs). A newer minivan that cannot be used as commuter either - 3 kids need transportation during the day, ...and my company car, which wife can't drive much, when i work.

I decided that maybe we should get another car for her, specifically, a used, but very well taken care of 06 Toyota Prius. 130k miles on it, new hybrid battery just installed, fully loaded, new tires, belt, pump, brakes, etc. It does not need much and i don't expect $$$ surprises. The Prius should give her 45-46MPG or more, regularly. Cost of the Prius is around $9k to buy. $300/yr insurance.

I did the math and the the savings in gas alone (after i pay for the extra car insurance) will be approx. $800 a year. This is if she drives the Prius only to work and the Lexus sits in the garage with no commuter miles added to it.

Clearly, both cars will be depreciating too over the next few years, but hopefully they will have some resell value after 3 or 4 years, when we decide to sell one or both of them.

What i am struggling with is predicting how much the 06 Prius will lose in value each year from here on, and if the $800 savings in gas will cover for it. We won't be saving any money with this purchase if the Prius drops more than $1000 every year.

In general, knowing the number of cars i'll end up with, the MPG numbers, the commute miles in question, predicted savings, etc ... what would YOU do?
    Stick to daily driving the paid off 15MPG Lexus SUV or get the extra commuter - used Prius?

Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I don't think you'll save any money getting the Prius. You are better off driving the Lexus.

On a monthly commute, you will be using 53 gallons of gas on the Lexus and about 17 gallons with a Prius. The difference x $3.50 for gas is about $125 per month. $1500 a year in savings.

The Prius and the Lexus combined will depreciate more than $1500 a year. You still have maintenance expenses for 2 cars, repairs for 2 cars, insurance, registration....the list goes on.

I don't see the savings.....if anything it'll just give you another car to drive and expense to cover, but you won't see any savings.

I also want to add at 130k miles, there can be some surprises that can surprise you. Toyota lists the Prius with a 180,000 mile expected life. But that does not mean it will be a trouble free 180k miles.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome to PC.
    In the UK fuel is getting close to $10 a UK gallon so savings are much bigger here.
    You will likely find if you buy a Prius it will get used for more than the commuting run and save even more on fuel. Servicing is also minimal on the Prius, but frequent oil checks are a must even if the oil does not appear to be used, and tyres should be specific low rolling resistance tyres to get the best MPG. The difference between non LRR tyre and LRR tyres will pay for the tyres.
    Not knowing the level of depreciation in the US makes this one difficult for me to answer in the UK , but from prices I have seen the Prius holds it's price well particularly if fuel costs go up.
    Putting you location in your avatar will enable us to give more advise.

John (Britprius)

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I find the depreciation in a Prius is about $1000 every 10,000 miles you put on the car. It's a very rough estimate but it's not far off. But there's many costs besides the depreciation to calculate. After 200k miles, I don't think there's much beyond the salvage value....won't depreciate anymore beyond $3000

5. silverone

silverone Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    For a rough guide at what a 2006 depreciation will look like in 2 years, look at 2004 versus 2006 prices now with the same equipment. In 2 years it will be a 10 year old car. The curve from 10+ years could go anywhere depending on what condition the car was kept in and gas prices. Resale values jump and fall with gas prices in general.

In my case I was able to make the justification work because of getting rid of a vehicle with a similar expected depreciation curve.

Best of luck with your choice.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It has been said that you should not buy a Prius if your justification is to save gas. You buy a Prius because that is what you want and it will fill your need for transportation needs. The fuel savings is really just the icing on the cake.

If I were in the market for a used Prius today, it would be one that at least is a CPO (certified pre owned) no more than three years old and no more than 50,000 miles on the odometer.

7. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why not sell the minivan and get a Prius? Seems like it would be the car without a purpose if a Prius replaced the Lexus as a commuter. Truck would still be for truck things, company car would still be your commuter, Prius would be her commuter, Lexus and minivan would both cover the kid hauling duties, with the Lexus having the bonus of 4WD for the winter trips. That makes the minivan a redundant vehicle, unless there is some reason you would prefer it to the Lexus for kid hauling. The Lexus probably gets a little worse mileage, but you would also save on insurance, registration, maintenance, plus whatever you get from selling it.

uart, stevemcelroy and JC91006 like this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

What he said :)

9. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Playing with numbers on KBB is probably about the best you can do for depreciation estimates.

I would consider that the Lexus will depreciate less if you are not putting an extra 10k miles per year on it. For example, the KBB private party value for a 2008 GX470 with 117k miles is $1300 higher than the same vehicle with 127k miles. So $1300 per year is probably a reasonable estimate of the annual depreciation savings from not commuting in the Lexus. Using the Prius values of a 2005 with 140k miles and a 2006 with 130k miles it looks like $1000 depreciation is a good estimate for 1 yr and 10k miles. So it seems like depreciation should be a wash, to several hundred dollars per year savings.

Your maintenance and repair budget should also (hopefully) go down by putting the miles on the Prius rather than the SUV. I've also known people who have been able to put a car that's not being driven on a special insurance plan that was almost nothing, but allowed you to turn full coverage on and off with a phone call over the course of the year. Not sure if all insurance companies do that, I think the plans are usually targeted toward seasonal resident, families with college students etc, but may work here too for seasonal usage.

Good luck,
    Rob

10. danmm7

danmm7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great point on the minivan, except that the mini van is 10x more convenient for kids transportation than the Lexus will ever be.
    - Sliding doors is a huge plus when you have 3 kids to get in and out of the car.
    - Gas mileage on the van, being a Sienna and FWD, is about 20mpg in town, Lexus is 15MPG. This alone will add up in $$.
    - The van is just much easier to drive around town - parking, school lots, traffic, etc
    - Grandparents take care of the kids during the day, so we want to keep it easy and convenient for them. I know they love the mini-van and that they are a bit intimidated by the SUV.

What would have been ideal is if we had an AWD Sienna, instead of the current FWD. Well, at the time we bought the Sienna, we did not have the need for winter driving, etc. Selling it now and getting a new AWD model, will cost us a lot. But it is not a bad option.

Thanks!

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you sold the Lexus and Sienna, you could use that money for a more suitable AWD Sienna. Hopefully have enough money left over for the Prius *bonus*. That way the Prius would make sense being you replaced 2 cars with 2 cars......a wash. Then you'll have a gas saver Prius to travel around, a minivan for the kids, a company car, and a truck for Home Depot. What an ideal situation.

12. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just my 2-cents. Right now you are not thinking critically about the problem. You need to step back and give it all a good hard look, otherwise just stay with the status quo.

In my opinion buying an older Prius for the gas savings is perhaps the worst thing that you can do. In a few years the car will not be worth much and the depreciation, cost of running it and any repairs are likely to far outstrip any fuel savings.

Right now it seems that you have 3 cars that are unsuited for what you really need. First off the old pickup is a bit of a red herring - unless you use it allot I'd say get rid of it and just pay the $20 for 90 minutes for the rental Home Depot truck. Even if you do this a couple of times a month you will come out ahead. This might clear the mind-block that you have to have a specific car for a specific task.

As for the minivan and the SUV - right now you seem to want it all which is your right. If that is the case just use the Lexus for the commute and leave it at that. If you are dead set on lowering the fuel bill for your commute you will likely need to make a tough decision. In your justification of each car you have a lot of wants, but no real gotta haves. The minivan is nice for the kids, but not a necessity. The suv is nice to go to the mountains, but unless there is a lot of off-road it is not necessary - to put it into perspective, we are in Colorado and head into the Rockies to ski most weekends in a fwd suv with good snow tires. If you are worried, there is nothing on road that a set of studded snows will not cover.

So, honestly either keep what you have or get rid of either the van or the Lexus and buy a commuter car. Perhaps you should open up your thinking - if you decide that you can not live without awd something like a Subaru would get you way better mileage than the Lexus for commuting. If you are worried about room, get a roof box - the Thule ones are fairly expensive, but are extra easy to put on and pull off.

JC91006 likes this.
  13. danmm7

danmm7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great feedback, gentlemen!

You gave me some solid points to focus on.
    We should really focus on what cars to keep and what to sell, because clearly, having a fifth car will not make financial sense, plus i need to park them all somewhere. My driveway/garage space is limited.

After all, the current situation is not so bad either, with the exception of the thirsty SUV being used for commuting.

Again, thank you all for the feedback. I will be around and if we do end up buying a Prius in the near future, this forum goes to my bookmarks for sure. This is a great group of people.

ftl likes this.
  14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you are being wise now. One thing I would seriously consider in your situation is the truck. It is a lot cheaper to rent one if you need it then to own one strictly for that use. We used to have two vehicles, but I was working then. In 2007 I was forced to quit working. The truck set for almost five years, except for a trip here and there to Home Depot. During that time I paid for full coverage, maintenance, plus damage due to thieves. I would have been better off selling it long before I did and could have put all that out going money in the bank rather then sending it to others. I sold the truck last year and so far really haven't missed it nor needed it either.

Best of luck to you.

15. danmm7

danmm7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

The truck does not have very much value. It is an older 1994 Ford Ranger 2wd. It's in good shape, but still, i won't be able to get more than $2000 for it. The body is not perfect and it's stick shift.
    We bought it in 2007 for $2400.
    I've used it many many times on various house projects. We bought 2 fixer uppers and it has server us well for many of the repair projects. I've put $400-600 total in it in parts over the last 5 years. Not a lot, given how much we've used it. Insurance for the truck is $21/mo.
    Lately, it's been sitting more parked since i've been too busy to do any house projects. Sometimes i feel the urge to sell it, but i also know that when i need it, i will hate myself for selling it. It's not like i will get a ton of money for it. Also, it's not going to depreciate any more than this. Or maybe... i am not looking into this very clearly.

16. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The low value truck is not an issue, unless insurance cost significant.
    Lexus SUV is the key saving potential. Sell it at good price while gas price still low (will go up quick in my view and never look back). Rent a SUV for mountain trips.

But if you really want to keep it and use as commute car (200 mi/week not too bad), try to glide in N gear at around 40mph, if the route condition allow. I have a 98 LS400, with mpg 25/18. When my wife use N gear on local, short drive (10 mi), she still get 22-23 mpg. On local highway at 40-50mph, I can get 30mpg easily, max 38mpg. Remember, it is a V8 4.0L.

Having a Prius is like getting a half off gas coupon for nothing. If I can have only one car, that's the one for sure. After 4 years, 100K, my 04 Prius has completely paid off by gas savings, and now I have a free Prius starting to "make money" for me. :)

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the goal is to reduce operating costs then a Leaf should handle her 20 mile trips and cost less to maintain.

18. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would have to agree on the Leaf also for his wife's commute. Even if it was just a lease, those are great for commuting around town as long as you have a plug to charge it and another vehicle for those long trips where there are not charging stations available and or time to charge the Leaf.

I am seriously considering going to a EV when the Prius departs from our family. So far the Leaf is on the top of the list. Hopefully by the time when we do change, there will be better and more choices of EV out there. I can't afford a Tesla. I could but the savings would be gone after that... I don't think the wife will let me do that one.

Maybe if I win the lottery :ROFLMAO: