1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Commuter Settings Advice??

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by RuthlessTactics, Feb 8, 2018.

1. RuthlessTactics

RuthlessTactics Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All,

I’ve had my 2017 Prius Prime Advanced now for about 11 days. I’m still trying to get use to all its goodies.

I’m trying to find the most optimal setting for my commute and was hoping I can get advice from more experienced owners. I drive about 114 miles round trip a day (57 miles each way). I drive 3.4 miles to get to the interstate from my home driving a speed limit of 45 mph with 1 traffic light and 3 stop signs. I then drive 51.1 miles on the interstate. Through 38.1 miles I’m at the speed limit of 70 mph. The remaining 38.1 miles of the interstate the speed is reduced to stop and go traffic with ranging from a near stop to 48 mph. The last 2.5 miles is urban driving with 3 traffic lights and 2 stop signs.

Any suggestions or tips would be great. I live in the Midwest so i’m in the middle of winter weather.

Thanks in Advanced...

2. albus

albus New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    More experienced members can chime in later, but here is how I would go about doing it.

On your way to work (assuming you cannot plug-in while there) start in EV mode while heading to the freeway, switch to HV mode once at a stable speed on the freeway, and back to EV mode as soon you get of it. Given your numbers, you will have driven approximately 6 miles in EV mode. Repeat going back home, adjusting a shift to EV mode on the freeway when you can safely estimate you have enough "juice" to get you back home in EV mode.

Rationale: while in urban/residential locations you will have a smoother drive and, more importantly, will generate less pollution.

Just my $.02

Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  3. RuthlessTactics

RuthlessTactics Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

This is great stuff. Something for me to start off with. I will follow this procedure on Monday and report back at the end of the week.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The simplest solution is what @albus mentioned - use EV in the city and low speed situations and HV on the highway (and you can still leave it in HV mode during the 2nd 38.1 mile segment as it'll still stay in EV mode quite often, like the Gen 4 Prius).

The idea is that you can use the first highway segment to warm up the engine for the second half. You can thus (hopefully) keep the engine off as often as possible because the engine is somewhat warm from the first segment. (The active grille shutters would've been shut to reduce drag and retain heat in the first highway segment too).

If you want to arrive at work as close to "0 miles remaining" as possible, then for the 2nd half of the highway segment, you can go back into EV Drive Mode during the slower segments and if there's a decent faster segment (35-48mph), go into CHG mode to top up the battery. I don't know how the second half of the highway segment is but it may require too much button pushing entering/exiting CHG mode. (i.e. @albus' suggestion may work out better and you don't have to charge at work).

You can also try EV Auto a few times to see how it works.

RuthlessTactics and albus like this.