1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Compact Spare for Two Eco

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by krousdb, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There was some discussion on Priuschat regarding the weight of a temp spare. Some car mag review was saying the temp spare made a difference of 65 lb's? I'm guessing it was not in this thread, since having a reread and not seeing it, but anyway: I pulled ours out (should be the same), and the temp spare itself weighed in at roughly 25 lbs. I just used our bathroom scale, couldn't find the digital scale I've got kicking around somewhere, but plus or minus a pound you can take that to the bank. Also, the OD was roughly 24.75".

krousdb likes this.
  2. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 65 lb number was the total difference between the Two and the Two Eco, 3075 vs 3010. From what I read somewhere, 40 lbs comes from the lighter Li-Ion traction battery and 25 from the spare removal.

GaryD1 likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah basically the difference in curb weights.

4. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I hope you did not just put the temp spare on the scale. It is better to weigh yourself without the tire, and then with the tire, after which deduct first from second. A little more precision :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ good idea, for next time.

I do have a kick butt digital tension scale, somewhere. :oops:

6. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually looking for full size spare tire from previous gen prius before our trip going to Palm Springs, CA. next month, not comfortable driving with donut tire with my family, i rather bring tire plug kit instead, might check out local picknpull or craigslist.

7. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Where would you put the full size spare tire? Just in the trunk? Some people in this forum noted it should be attached somehow. Otherwise it can become a bullet in the case of an accident.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    true, but what else do you put in the trunk and tie down?

9. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Post #38 in this thread shows a page from the owners manual (available on line) with a full size spare attached in much the same way as the donut.

The challenge would be reconfiguring the pieces around it in a cleaver way.

10. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I think the idea behind this is that objects as heavy as a spare tire acquire a lot of kinetic energy at higher velocity, and can do damage if stopped suddenly. Weather it was ever tested I have no clue. Never even thought about it before reading a post on this topic.

Merged

I see. I got confused. There are 6 options, and all of them are unique. 2 Eco does not have a spare (and this is how this thread started). However 2 does. How about yourself? You have 4T don't you? Do you have any plans to try to install a spare as krousdb did? Did you have a chance to look at the cargo area and compare to his pictures? I am now in the crossroad between trying to fit a spare in 4 (or 4T) and trying to install a HomeLink in 3 (or 3T)

#130 gvp1995, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2016
  11. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Not sure about the 6 options. While the owner's manual pictures a full size spare, Toyota does not sell that option in this country.

I am thinking they may offer it in other counties, but who knows. The manual is a strong indication it fits-- Though you might need to raise the floor up and get creative with the foam pieces.

When I first picked up my 4T I attempted to unscrew the white fasteners holding the foam pieces in place. Like others have mentioned, they don't simply unscrew. They have little slots on the end that suggested to me there could be a clever way to remove them without stripping, but I didn't put in the effort-- now it is too cold and Krouseb has satisfied my curiosity (mostly).

I would like a project, but I am going to put is on on the back burner. I am the sort who drives a car into the ground, and hope to reach 300k miles with the 2016. I might find myself stranded with a flat that a pump and tire repair kit can't repair one day, but If I was really concerned about getting marooned, I would get a new car every three years, instead of every 250,000 miles.

But that is just me, and my comfort level with this.

FWIW, I have had a good number of flats over the years, but in my case all were discovered in my driveway or parking lot, and while used a donut for a few, I moved on to a can of fix a flat for most. I also made sure my wife had a can as the thought of her changing a tire on a busy road (and she would not hesitate) scares the crap out of me.

About a month ago I came home to a flat in my icy driveway and ended up buying a small compressor or for under $50 bucks to take care of it That worked great, and it now resides in a gym bag with other stuff in the back of my Prius.

If I get another flat, that compressor is what I will try first to get me to the shop or a better place, since Toyota's requires the goo. Plan B is to use the goo. Plan C is to scream and report back here!

Dragon Rider and krmcg like this.
  12. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    To a large extent conversation whether to have a spare is a religious debate shaped by our experiences and believes. For example, some 20 years ago I was going to an interview looking to get my first job in the US. I was on the highway, and a big piece of cardboard was flying across the lanes. It hit my tire and destroyed it completely. I pulled to a shoulder, got a spare (it was Toyota Tercel, and a full size spare tire at that time), spent 15 min changing it. Continued to the interview, washed my hands, went through the interview and got the job. Since then having a spare is my plan A, B and C. The only question remains how do I get there with Prius 2016.

And I do have a compressor too. Recently It stopped working, and I had to buy a new one. Which made me think that having a very cheap second one ($20 at Pep Boys or something) would be yet another safeguard.

13. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    first thanks krousdb for excellent write up, i found at my local craigslist a spanking brand new full size 2015 prius wheel + tire +tmps sensor for $130, i thought it was a steal, his prius was sold, wheel + tire weighs 35 lbs, do you think I'm going to loose 4 mpg after installing full size tire? just don't have enough confidence with donut spare tire for long trips especially with 4 people in my family, we usually travel with my SUV's, some photos for sharing.
    DSC_7843.jpg

DSC_7846.jpg

DSC_7847.jpg

DSC_7850.jpg

#133 vince22, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    ATHiker, bisco and GaryD1 like this.
  14. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Cool! Thank you. I assume in the case of the full tire it does stick a little? Does the cover rest on the tire? Does it bend when putting load in the area outside the perimeter of the tire?

It would be so interesting to see if anyone did the same with 4 (4T)!

15. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used the remaining foam cutout with the same height as my tire stick out 3 1/2 inch and to support coroplast cover for loading.

16. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Just to confirm. You have Two Eco right? In your signature it is 2016 Prius Two Eco, but in the profile (on the left) it just sais 2016 Prius Two. And of course one of them has a spare, and the other does not

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, well done!(y) that's a big improvement over gen 3 which will not hold a full size tyre.

18. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    eco .jpg
    You need to ask Danny why Prius Two Eco was left out in profile preference, when you do let me know. here i circled my Eco badge for you. Thanks

#138 vince22, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  19. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget to bolt the tire down!

20. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle: