1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Company Plug-in Vehicle Charging Agreement

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jul 7, 2017.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My employer recently installed charging stations. Because this is near and dear to my heart, I offered to help any way I can; they asked if I could come up with a "Plug-in Vehicle Charging Agreement". This was a no-brainer for me because 1) No doubt someone else has posted something online, and 2) I have a huge network of plug-in owners to tap into.

I found one agreement that seemed well thought out and mostly applied to my situation. After some modifications, I put it into a GoogleDoc and am ready to ask for you all to look it over.

Questions:
    1) Would you sign this in order to get access to an on-site charger?
    2) What modifications would you like to see before you would be willing to sign it?

Anyone with the link can view, but not edit. There's no need to have several dozen people editing each others' edits. Just reply and we'll check for consensus and then I'll make the edits.
    Plug-in Vehicle Charging Agreement - Google Docs

Considerations:
    - To start, they say charging will be free but in time it will most likely be a "cost of electricity" fee. That's for a later discussion so I'm not mentioning a fee, billing cycles, payment methods, etc.
    - We have an entire legal department and a huge HR department. Don't bother with the legalize; that's their job.

2. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like you don't need any help if you have a legal department. They should compose the agreement, not you. But you have a good start. :) You might want to see what Tesla uses for its Supercharger station use.

3. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It looks reasonable to me - I'd sign it to get free//at-cost electricity.

Would it make sense to add another line that says 'I will leave information near the charging port with some way of contacting me directly if needed"?

Also - could it be added to the 'I will not unplug someone else's vehicle' section that a car owner could leave some indication that their car could be unplugged by someone if the charging is finished?

Also would it make sense to add some wording stating that cars that are not 100% dependent on the electric (PHEVs like the Prime, Volt, etc) may need to be moved out in favor of cars that only have battery power (Tesla, etc)?

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  4. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've worked on niche things like this before. It's always best to have the niche users work on the niche wording before giving it to Legal. I had a great-idea program fail a few years back because we decided to start with Legal; trust me, if it started with them, it would be a full-page, margin-to-margin, incomprehensible legalize and less plug-in friendly.

Yeah, perhaps rather than insinuating NEVER unplug, I can reword it to "unless otherwise indicated" or something along those lines. I was also thinking about creating something like a "Plug-in Etiquette" leaflet providing basic and nuanced plug-in etiquette and common practice. Something that concerns me personally is that the Prime has a charger lock and I don't want someone pulling and tugging on the charger when it's locked in place.
    About moving a PHEV to favor a BEV: that sounds like something good in theory but not in practice. If I'm in a meeting or engrossed in work, do I really want my phone to ring and someone to tell me to come outside and move my car because a Leaf just pulled up? These are decent-sized buildings; it's a several-minute walk from one end to the other. The nearest charger to me is across a four-lane street. On the other hand, if the PHEV owner has a tag on the charger that indicates a BEV can take the plug, that's a whole other story except that (depending on the timing) the PHEV might only get a few minutes of charge that day.

5. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    i think this is generally fine and I would sign it.
    Not knowing your physical location for the charging stations, I'd suggest marking/painting them clearly, putting a sign up that say "for charging only, not for parking ..."
    Also, could your company issue tags to hang up in the rear view mirror for registered owners?

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  6. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, the Facilities folks are taking care of those things. I joined a meeting the other day where they went through all the Facility-specific tasks. What was missing, however, was any interaction with actual people. Can't really blame them, though, since they focus only on the physical things.
    They did mention coming up with rear view mirror hang-tags. We'll have to see how that turns out. We have hang-tags for our designated "fuel efficient and carpool" parking spots but no one really cares, monitors, or does anything about violators.

joachimz and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  7. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That last part could wind up being the biggest problem - if there's no enforcement of the 'electric cars only, when charging' rules then its likely to get abused like you say the other 'special' section is.

joachimz likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good to me (the 4th box is missing a "of" in the first sentence).

To further clarify the 3rd box,

Unless clearly indicated as acceptable by the owner of the vehicle parked at the station, I will not remove the charger plug from another vehicle regardless of whether the charge is complete_ (present tense, not past tense). If another individual is plugged into the charging station and the charge is complete, I will notify the appropriate authority so they can contact the individual and have the vehicle moved.

I will use a phone app or other means to monitor my vehicle's charging progress and will make every effort to move my vehicle when charging is complete_.

9. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Silver color cars should get precedence.

10. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Depending on the charging device you are getting, there may be ways to send notifications to the account owner of the plugged in vehicle that their time is up. Also, when you do move to a fee structure, you all will likely want to have a plug charge, this is how Tesla is dealing with bad behavior, if you stay plugged in after being fully charged, there is a progressive fee.

I might word smith the boxes something like this:
    1. I agree that it is my responsibility to monitor the charge of my vehicle and to disconnect and move my vehicle as soon as possible after it has reached full charge so that others may take advantage of this shared service. Failing to do this on a consistent basis is grounds for termination of your right to use the charging facilities.
    2. I agree that I am responsible for the proper care of the charging equipment when I am using it. I recognize that this is shared equipment owned by the facility, I will treat it with appropriate care and will avoid doing anything that could cause damage to the equipment. I will report any accidental damage that I commit to the equipment to the facilities management ASAP so that it can be addressed.
    3. I agree that as a shared service, others have the right to utilize this and their schedules may complicate when they can move their vehicle. I will not, unless clearly indicated that it is okay, remove the plug from another vehicle without their permission regardless of charge state of that vehicle. If I notice someone is abusing the use of the facility I will report this to facilities management so that they may take appropriate action.
    4. I agree that if I do not comply with any portion of this document, my rights to utilize the charging facilities may be terminated. I also agree that if, through my neglect, damage is done to the charging facilities, that I bear responsibility in working with the facilities management to get the charging device repaired.

Otherwise this looks good though. I think I addressed your 4 points just adjusted it to start out with them stating agreement to each point that they are signing.

walterm likes this.
  11. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And then multiple updates... :p

Sounds good to me. Until I get my Hypersonic Red, that is.

I think you went all legalize.

12. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    With all the comments above considered, I'd sign it. Well done.

13. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did I? apparently this is a bad habit of mine, I am not a lawyer but my previous boss told me I should go to law school and stop pretending :D. I tend to like to see it more of positioning it so I know why I am signing each line. I couldn't necessarily tell what I was agreeing to within the context of the line. Also I adjusted it so that it wasn't about telling on your neighbor because they forgot to move their trashcan in before 5pm once, but to address abusers of the solution. Saying "You know I have seen that blue Leaf sitting there in the charge station fully charged three days in a row hours after it is charged" versus running to the authorities because someone is 15 minutes late the first time to move their car because they were actually doing company business and couldn't get out right on time. Also removed the concept of bugging the authorities is going to cause an immediate change. Instead it is going to cause them to take an appropriate action which may be nothing.

But since I can't get parking at work and have have to instead park at train stations and open public parking, I wouldn't have one of these to sign anyway :D.

14. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Don't get me wrong, there was nothing incorrect with anything you wrote. I'm just trying to keep it simple for two reasons:
    • People using charging stations are, on average, considerate people who don't need a ton of verbiage.
    • A more broad statement is easier to uphold than a specific one. My brother is a lawyer and has explained to me that when a regulation is written with the attempt to spell out every conceivable situation, someone will invent something not covered. In short, the more you try to define, the easier it is for someone to say, "it's not specifically listed."
    So I'm using a combination of these two in the hopes that considerate people will uphold the spirit of the agreement rather than picking apart the wording. And then, because we mostly know each other, peer pressure will help.

15. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    IMO

Drop the line about unplugging.

Add a line referring to a web page that outlines charging etiquette, maintained by your company.

16. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  17. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is true that a lot of EV car owners tend to be well behaved but there are always those who certainly aren't. I have tried to charge at the train station here in town a couple times to find a Tesla parked in the EV charging location but not plugged in. The station is definitely working but he isn't using it. It is a free station, there is no connect charge at all, so that isn't the issue, he is just using it as a special EV parking space for himself. Since the station is less than 10 miles from my house, I generally don't see the point in complaining as I can easily get home on the charge I have left, and it is unlikely I could get back midday anyway to move my car (not to mention by midday there is no alternate parking available in this station). My biggest issue is that it shows green on the ChargePoint app so I am always hopeful (there are 6 chargers at this station, I am always just a little too late).

Do not doubt that you will have bad behavior from some members of your community who will see themselves as entitled to use the EV space as they see fit. If you are lucky they will be very few and very far between.

Good luck with it, I wish I could get parking with an EV spot here, but annual parking permits run between $1500 and $2100 a year, it is cheaper just to take the bus from a free parking spot and do occasional parking at the train station at $7 a pop.

18. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At first pass, I was upset that base PiP owners or Leaf owners with expired Carwings would be excluded with the first article. But I see you have "other means" written down. So I guess we're covered.

I would actively lobby against favoring BEV over PHEV. I have no issue giving up the cord when a co-worker needs it to get home as part of charging etiquette. I have issue when I'm in a meeting and cannot get to my car to move it and then I get penalized because someone didn't think to have enough charge for the day.

19. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Then don't complain for yourself, complain for those who need the space. There are a few options, as I see it:
    • Write a nice note indicating that common EV etiquette is that you should be actively charging to part in the spots. That even though other spots are open when he parks, that doesn't mean people weren't frustrated at other times of the day.
    • Take a picture of the offense including the license plate, print it out, stick it under his wiper with a note: "Social Media and teslamotorsclub.com is going to roast you alive."
    • If there's anyone working at the station who you think might care, tell them.
    Here in Illinois, we have a No-ICEing law but I can't find any reference to EV "squatters". I think it's more civility than law.
    Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes