1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Compare 2020 vs 2021 Prius Prime XLE?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by followingalex, May 3, 2021.

1. followingalex

followingalex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Is there a one-stop shop to see the main (if any) differences between 2020 and 2021 prime XLE trims?

I can preliminarily see that TSS 2.0 is the big one, but not sure if there is more to it.

2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I owned the 2020 XLE, and I now own the 2021 Limited. The 2021 is much better. TSS 2.0 is a huge improvement over TSS 1.0. The car feels self-driving at times thanks to the lane-keep assist that switches on smoothly and even silently at times. The steering is also improved from the 2020, and it's sharper and more responsive.

I would get the Limited because of the blind-spot monitor and rear-cross-traffic alert, as well as many other goodies. You can also wait until December or so for the 2022 in case they become standard. The Blue Magnetism color is a delight, and I like it much better than the Classic Silver Metallic I owned before.

pghyndman likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe rear side airbags and supposedly a 120V outlet is another but given we’re in a pandemic, I can’t confirm either by seeing it in person.

The other is a brushed finish for the alloy rather than alloy with wheel covers for higher trims.

Minor things include swapping out the glossy black trim for the B pillar and mirror surround for matte black (like on the regular Prius).

4. Schrauger

Schrauger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I just upgraded to the 2021 from the 2020. A few more differences:
    • The humming sound is much louder at slow speeds - all the 2021 and newer Toyota electric models are stuck at the high volume setting for the pedestrian awareness noise, as that is no longer user or dealer configurable
    • The car can engage and set cruise control as low as 19mph, which is great for residential streets. The 2020 and previous had a minimum of 27 or 28mph with no leading car.
    • Middle console storage bin lost an inch or two in depth. Not very noticeable, but I'm pretty sure the previous year was a bit deeper.

citiprius and Tideland Prius like this.
  5. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Some more minor differences:
    upload_2021-5-23_0-57-17.png

6. GSK

GSK Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    why would they change the configuration of those hoses?

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks like they went back to having an expansion overflow tank like what previous generations used.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They moved the illuminated window switches?

and shrunk the centre console bin?

9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Always making "improvements." :mad:

Although, I was just looking for something today in that bin. I sure had to root around for a while before I gave up and decided to look elsewhere. :rolleyes:

10. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    2 more "improvements"....
    upload_2021-5-24_23-24-10.png

11. jackalope

jackalope Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember reading an article about how automakers deal with currency fluctuations. The theme seemed to be that they can't change prices so they make minor adjustments to change the production costs. The article mentioned stitching in the seats and other changes that only real fans would notice. I don't know if that is what is going on here, but it sure was an interesting concept.

12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I like the matte look on the 2021 pillars, but how it looks may depend on the body color. I wonder what 2022 model will bring for more "improvement".

13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I liked the matte look on my wife's trim two '17 Prius ... until I put on the adhesive window vents. After cleaning the area for the tape with alcohol, the part of the pillar that I cleaned beyond the tape area dried looking like someone swiped an almost dry paintbrush with white paint on it. I keep treating it and waxing it and it goes away for a while and comes back. The gloss on my Prime didn't do that. If you get the matte, be careful. ;)

citiprius and Salamander_King like this.
  14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the warning. It may not be the matte that is the problem. Maybe, cheaper finish on them? I will have to see the real one if I really like it or not, but in general, I like the matte finish better than the glossy on anything.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. DukeofPrime

DukeofPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Meanwhile, many are complaining about the glossy exterior finish pieces on the new Ford Bronco Sport because of micro-scratches.

In general, glossy black surfaces are pretty universally panned by YouTube reviewers because of scratches and fingerprints (interior).

It seems you can't win.

SM-N981U ?

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is cheaper to just use parts from the regular Prius I guess. Or they’re not selling enough of the regular Prius and had extras lying around.

Trollbait, citiprius and jerrymildred like this.
  17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Looked into getting a Scion xA. Dealer told us if we ordered next week we could get the upgraded stereo for no charge because there was a disruption in the standard unit's delivery to the factory.

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do they still make Scion? I thought Toyota discontinued that brand.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This was years ago. The xA was one of the original models with the smaller xB. Was looking at it over the xB, because the latter couldn't get side airbags. It was cancelled before the brand was.

Salamander_King likes this.
  20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I thought. Years ago, I helped someone who just moved to the US for a purchase process of a car. Her English was not perfect yet. She wanted to buy a small new Scion, I can't remember A or B or C, but, it was sold at a Toyota dealer I have dealt with before. What I did not know then was that even though it was sold at a regular Toyota dealer, Scion brand pricing was "no-haggle" I think similar to the Saturn branded cars back then. I had to disappoint her that I could not get the price any lower than as advertised. lol