1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Compare and contrast two BMW PHEVs

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Sep 30, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

• BMW i3-REx - designed from the ground up, superior
    • Countryman - adapted from an existing ICE car, tolerable
    Bob Wilson

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But which will be more acceptable to the public?

3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tesla model 3 - designed from the ground up, superior
    BMW i3-REx - designed from the ground up adapted by an ICE car maker, tolerable

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • model 3 - designed from the ground up, superior when it showed up in 2017, new at ~$50k, and still dependent on chargers.
    • BMW i3-REx - designed from the ground up adapted by an ICE car maker, tolerable available 3 years earlier in 2014 than the Model 3, used at ~$28k in 2016, and operates with or without chargers.
    With a Fort Smith AR SuperCharger, any Tesla would meet my requirement to travel between Huntsville and Stillwater OK or Coffeyville KS. The 50kW CHAdeMO in Rogers AR is too slow and off the direct route.

A long range Model 3 could make the 273 mile leg between Little Rock AR and Tulsa OK. But per EPA specs of 310 miles, it should leave Little Rock or Tulsa at ~92% SOC to ensure a 10 mile reserve. Then there is the cost for a retired couple ... the Model 3 came too late and expensive.

Bob Wilson

#4 bwilson4web, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  5. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hybrids are still dependent on gasoline stations
    Yes, the i3-REx is a hybrid dependent on both charging locations and gasoline stations for people who suffer from range anxiety. It has limited range on both electric and gasoline. It is the worst of both worlds - halfway in, halfway out. The REx is better than nothing but there are better alternatives in the market today, just two years later.

Cost is relative. You can spend your money on a zero emission BEV or you can spend your money on additional health care resulting from environmental degradation, cleaning up environmental disasters as a result of climate change, or just leave the whole mess for your grandchildren to deal with.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The sad thing about the i3 being designed by an ICE car company is that most of the issues reported in reliability surveys, like CRs, were with the range extender of the REx model.