1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Compare shortest to fastest routing

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Feb 17, 2022.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Between 1:30 AM to 2:30 AM at 60 F (15 C,) I ran two benchmarks between home, a former worksite, and back home:
    [​IMG]
    • Default fast - using built-in navigation, drove using the recommended highway based route:
      • round trip: 30:11 mm:ss
      • 21 mi total
      • 208 Wh/mi (208 * 21 = 4.37 kWh)
    • Shortest direct - using a waypoint, drove urban streets
      • round trip: 36:21 mm:ss (+6:10 mm:ss)
      • 19 mi total (-2 mi)
      • 188 Wh/mi (188 * 19 = 3.57 kWh)
    FSD beta did most of the steering and speed control. However, I adjusted the traffic aware cruise control to the posted limit as needed and selected lanes based on the next intersection. The shortest route had ten traffic lights and one stop sign while the fastest route had four traffic lights. Due to up and down grades, shifting to "N" for coasting is impractical as down slopes increase speed and variable angle up slopes are inconsistent.

The fastest route has limited access so one accident slows traffic backup to a crawl. The shorter route also has crashes but the side streets provide a detour around the problem. There are intermediate routes that tradeoff speed and distance that need to be evaluated separately.

Bob Wilson

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The shortest here takes only +6:10 mm:ss more than the quickest route. For my interstate travels, the nav choice differences between shortest distance and quickest time are commonly several to many hours. Presuming the shortest routes are even open, which often they are not during winter.