1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Comparing the Prius v. Honda hybrid idle-stop feature

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by davide, Nov 6, 2007.

1. davide

davide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I want to understand the difference between the way a Prius behaves in stop-&-go traffic and the way a Honda Civic hybrid behaves. Situation: I'm stuck in a long line of vehicles at the U.S./Canadian border at Detroit, waiting to be re-admitted to the U.S. If I'm in a Prius, as soon as I first rolled to a stop, the gas engine automatically shut OFF and will remain OFF even as I allow the car to move ahead a few feet at a time. The gas engine won't start again (burn fuel) until I pull away from the customs booth & reach about 35 mph.

However, if I'm in a Honda Civic hybrid, according to my reading of Honda's website describing its "idle-stop" feature, as I inch along in the line of cars, every time I take my foot off the brake pedal, that triggers the gas engine to start (burning fuel).

Have I described the different behaviors of the two cars correctly? Then obviously the Prius is the more fuel-efficient system. Which begs the question: Could Honda match Toyota's system if they wanted to? Or would they be legally liable for violating Toyota's patent?

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    You are correct. The "ev-only" for the new civic hybrid happens only when you are already in motion. It cannot move the car from a stopped position w/o the gasser.

This is why the Prius has scalability to a plug-in: larger electric motor, better/more powerful battery pack.

The PSD (power-split device) is the true wonder of the Prius engineering and allows it to be such a great rolling marvel. Not-so-humble opinion!

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a reasonable simplification of the way it works most of the time.

I don't know much about the Honda, but some exceptions on the Prius are:

If the gas engine and catalytic converter are sufficiently warmed up, the car will cut fuel to the gas engine as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator (rather than when it comes to a stop). With the Prius' ability to coast, this can happen quite a while before the car comes to a stop. Then as the vehicle slows down, once it drops below 41 MPH, the gas engine will stop spinning as you continue to slow the car with your foot off the accelerator.

When the battery charge gets low, the Prius will start the gas engine every time you lift your foot from the brake to inch forward. If you are using significant electrical power (A/C, headlights, radio, etc.) and the battery power drops far enough, the gas engine will start up to charge the battery a bit even while you are not moving.

When you pull away from the customs booth, the car may get all the way to 40 MPH before the gas engine starts up, or it could happen before you even reach 5 MPH. It depends on a variety of factors, but most especially how far you press the accelerator pedal (how hard you accelerate), and how much charge the battery still has left.

If you sit in the traffic you describe for long enough, the gas engine or catalytic converter may cool off enough that the car will start up the gas engine every time you inch forward for the purpose of heating these components back up to their operating temperatures.

Note that almost all the electricity in the battery comes from burning gasoline. Therefore while you may not be using gasoline directly to inch forward, you will be using electricity that was created previously by burning gasoline, and gasoline will need to be burned again later to charge the battery back up again. Even so, at such slow speeds, I believe it is quite a bit more efficient to use the electricity and recharge from the gas engine than it is to try and move the car with the gas engine directly. As I understand it, the gas engine just can't move the car very efficiently at exceptionally low speeds.

4. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That's the way my Civic-driving son explained the different between my car & his - he can't start up without the engine running & I can.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Another difference is the transmission. The Civic uses a conventional CVT, where the Prius has a transmission unlike anything else; the HSD. The HSD has one set of planetary gears, no belts (there is a drive chain, but this is not part of the transmission), no shifting, no clutch (other than a fixed one to avoid shock loading), and it is always in gear. It makes the hybrid system on the Civic look like a Conestoga wagon.

Tom