1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

comparing two 2008's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Susan McGill, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Susan McGill

Susan McGill New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would like opinions on deciding which 2008 used prius to buy. They are both package 6 and have the same options, same color car. One has 100K miles and asking price is $13,200. The other has 75K miles, an extended warranty for 1.5 years and 25K more miles and they are asking $15,000. Neither has much negotiation room. Do you think the lower miles and warranty (tho not for long) warrants $2,000 more? Just confused. Sometimes I think I should bump up to a 2010 to get the newer generation but don't really want to sink $3,000 more into a used car since they say the changes are minimal.

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Skip the 2008s altogether and buy a 2010. You might find one for $15K.

Fubar1764 and PriusGuy32 like this.
  3. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Lots of things to consider. KBB estimates an excellent condition well equipped 2010 Certified Pre-Owned with 75,000 at $16,800 asking price. The same from a private party is $14,200. The 08 from a private party is $12,100. Being cost conscious I would likely go for the savings in an older Prius. I just purchased my 05 with 96k and not too concerned about the miles because it was serviced well and was a one owner car. During the search I ran across several private sales that were good deals, though I did have to broaden the search area eventually to 200 miles. How many miles a year you drive is a factor too. How long will it take to get to 150,000 miles, 200,000? How long will you be financing it? Just some things to think about. Oops, you were confused. Maybe you don't need more to think about. :rolleyes:

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The two sound like about equal value. I've never had a warranty pay off, so I'd tend to go for the higher mileage car. But then it has about 25k miles less life in it. Lots of Prius go 150k miles with minimal problems.

The 2010 has an adjustable height driver's seat. But if the 2008 fits you, that's irrelevant. The 2010 has a console that totally divides the front into driver and passenger areas. I don't like that, but you may not care.

How about the tires? That could be a $600 hit in the near future if they're worn down. Does the 2008 have HID headlights? They're great when they work, but expensive to replace. The 2010 has a lot of radio problems, while the earlier ones just work.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you spending 13-15 grand to move from an 07 to an 08?

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The changes are not minimal. To get the stuff in a 2008 package 6 you'll have to go up to a 2010 IV-NAV or V-NAV. The differences between a V & a IV are fog lights, LED instead of halogen headlights, 17" wheels instead of 15", and a "touring" suspension. The IV is available with a moonroof. The V is available with an Advanced Technology package. Both cars are going to be quite a bit more than a Gen 2.

7. Susan McGill

Susan McGill New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the good points to consider. 15K does seem like a lot for the 08-even though she replaced the regular battery, has new tires and the warranty- but only for one more year. I won't be driving more than 15K miles per year and will probably pay cash or pay it off quickly.

8. Susan McGill

Susan McGill New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't like the newer console either, but would like the adjustable seat. The 08 that has the warranty also has new tires and a new battery. Do you think the 25K less miles plus those items are worth $2,000?

9. Susan McGill

Susan McGill New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am glad you pointed out the difference in getting the same options in the 2010. Definitely more than I want to spend at this time. I just need to think about if the 25K less miles, new tires and battery equal $2,000 more out the door. I just worry that the battery is no longer covered in the one with 100k miles. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

10. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my brother picked up a private party sale of an 05 with 215k miles... couldn't be happier. problem free for the last 6 months.

with the money you save, you can buy a lot of parts... ok.. not a lot if they are from toyota.. but you can do a major repair.

if you really wanted to, you should be able to go on the toyota members webpage enter the vins and see the service records. (or at least i think you can add any vin you have on hand... maybe you have to own it though.. not sure)

btw, where are you located?

11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It wouldn't surprise me if traction battery life is more a function of time and heat than miles. So it may well be that both cars have the same potential traction battery life.

A friend of mine has a 2002 Prius with about 150k miles on it. He did have the "triangle of death" come on, and he assumed something drastic, like the traction battery. For $150, the dealer service identified and corrected the problem. It was a leaky gas cap. He's still on the original traction battery.

I'd recommend paying an independent mechanic to evaluate any car that you're serious about buying. They should examine the vehicle for crash repair, remaining brake pad life, and apparent level of regular service.

A Prius with 100k miles on it will generally still be on the original brake pads. New (or seriously worn) pads indicates a rough life. Vehicles in snow areas may have rust problems on the brakes, but not pad wear.

Both cars are due for a change of transmission fluid. Dealers normally don't do this, but used oil analysis suggests otherwise. The car will certainly last longer than the warranty without such service, but you're looking for another 100k miles. A wheel alignment is another service that will save money in the long run.

12. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    i would probably consider the lower miles 2008 ...given that both 08s high voltage batteries are probably very similar in condition...the less miles 08 with new tires and newer 12v battery would probably be less hassle, because if the other 08 hasn't had the 12v battery replaced...that will run you probably $150 to buy and replace if you have a dealer shop do it...brakes won't be an issue, unless they were abused by the previous owner...we just replaced brakes at 177000 miles and still had 1/4 of the disc pad left...back shoes didnt need replaced...i would go in and offer only $500 more on the less miles 08 ...given there is room there for the dealer...most used car prices have a$ 3-6k markup...so there is plenty of room for conversation...(i know...because i used to appraise)...so dont let them buffalo you in saying there is no room for price reduction...its a function of how bad do they want to sell it to you...so whatever the price is on the less miles 08...keep in mind they probably have it marked up 3-6 k...

13. Susan McGill

Susan McGill New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks again for pointing out things to consider. Very helpful. These are private party cars, not dealers, so I don't think I have as much negotiation room. I would prefer to go with a dealer so I could trade my 13 year-old corolla, but the dealers haven't had what I'm shopping for. KBB is between 12,800 and 14,500 based on the miles, so they're not far off in their asking price. If it were only a $1000, I'd probably decide on the lower miles right now.

14. Susan McGill

Susan McGill New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm in the Phoenix area. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out the VIN page.

15. Susan McGill

Susan McGill New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ha Ha! No, I am replacing a 2000 corolla.

16. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    New tires are probably $400+, plus the alignment. If the new 12v battery is Toyota's it is covered for 1 year/unlimited miles and is probably $150-$200. You seem impressed with the balance of the extended warranty. It's a Toyota & it's a Prius. The probabilities are that you won't have a covered failure.

What is a mile worth? If a leasing company charges 10c per mile over the lease limit the mileage difference is worth $2500.

From my point of view you are paying a lease rate for the mileage & getting the newer parts tossed in. If I had to choose I'd go with the lower mileage.

17. Susan McGill

Susan McGill New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The way you explain it makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you! Plus, the lower miles will have the hybrid battery covered for another 25K whereas the other one is already past warranty. That's a big factor too, right?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gotcha. your info says 2007 prius.:)

19. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Susan, how long is it going to take for you to put 25000 miles on the car? If the answer is two years then the lower mileage car should be expected to last two years longer for you. For me, the balance of the warranty is not a big factor because the probability of the covered parts failing is low. The Prius is a low maintenance car but at 100000 if you haven't spent a little bit on maintenance you are going to have to start.

You are entitled to the way you feel and it is YOUR car. A minor thing to you could be a major deal to me or a deal breaker to someone else. I believe the price differential between the two cars is fair. I'm not going to comment on whether or not the asking prices are high or fair. If I have "new" parts in the car then I expect to recover at least some of the cost with a higher sale price. Again, by saving $500 on a car that needs tires you'll break even when you pay the shop $500 for a set of tires.

Just to be sure, how did you verify both cars are a 6? Did the owners keep the window stickers? Are you getting two fobs and the owners manuals? The cars should have leather, fog lights & nav.

20. Susan McGill

Susan McGill New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am going to see the higher mileage tomorrow and will check on the fobs and owners manuals. I did call our local Toyota dealer and have both VIN's checked out. They say both have been well maintained. I think as it turns out, both have tires with less than 25K miles. But the lower mileage does have new volt battery- she said $300. You make a good point about how long the lower mileage will last me. I do expect two years. So the money up front may well be worth it in the end. Thanks for the perspective.