1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Comparison between gasoline and electric usage for 100 miles.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Three60guy, Aug 8, 2012.

1. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    This i
    The PIP is the first car to use LithIon, how do you know how long these will last?

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: :ROFLMAO::LOL:

If that were true, and Toyota knowingly put a battery pack like that in a car they would have to warranty for 150k miles in CARB states, then I have new respect for Toyota. They must also use rolls of cash for toilet paper in the bathroom stalls as well.

Jimbo69ny likes this.
  3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The warranty in CARB states is 10 years, not 15, but the 150K miles is correct. However, I have read elsewhere here that the warranty may not apply to simply losing EV range as the battery ages.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you nuts? or just a flamer? what is this 'other hybrid' you speak of? why aren't you amortizing ice rebuilding with gas cost?

5. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Amazing how we go from my initial post on this thread to adding costs to who knows what. Bisco said it quite well, why not amortize ice rebuilding to the cost of gasoline. Oh let's add the cost of mufflers, etc too.

I was just trying to get a handle just how much of a difference existed between using electricity as a fuel compared to gasoline. That was all it was. Adding anything else is just outside the perimeter of what I was trying to compare. Sigh. Oh well. I'm happy most people were ok with the numbers I came up with. And oh yes, I now have a much better feel for that difference too now that I was able to compare the cost to a specific distance traveled.

6. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Why don't you get a Kill-a-Watt meter and measure your actual electricity usage for a month? Might give you ammunition to ask for a more realistic payment.

7. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah.....I'm in that process now, only today we had pouring rain.......Didn't feel like getting electrocuted holding the meter.

8. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Of course there's this one eeny meeny fact: I'm getting free electricity for my Desktop, HDTV, Laptop. Desktop Kill O Watt readings for one month usage: 157KWH. Laptop, HDTV: 106KWH At 9 cents a killawatt $14.13+ $10.60=$24.73 that the landlord shells out. He may point that out if I complain.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

9. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Not free - it's just bundled into the rent, same as for any other tenants in the building.

(Unless you're the only tenant, in which case that argument is a bit weaker.)

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    since both "rates" change regularly i find a "cents per gallon" figure to be a bit more applicable. your figures are near to mine. I pay an additional $.0125 cents per Kwh for 100% renewable power making my weighted cost about 11 cents per Kwh and there is no TOU here. we are tiered based on usage with 2nd tier being 1.7 cents per Kwh higher

in July we targeted two things
    1) driving the Prius less. was only used for one longer trip (160 miles) but only because the LEAF was also in use. other than that it was mostly commuting and tried to put it on the shortest trip for the month

2) using the new EV quick charge stations which were installed in June. Lucky enough to have 2 very near our normal commuting patterns.

drove the Prius 818 miles at a cost of $61. Drove the LEAF 1587 miles at a cost of $25. i figured i avoided another about $8 in electricity costs due to fact that nearly all public charging is still free. even with the much lower price of gas (last paid $3.39 which is lowest here in years...) the LEAF is still more than 250% cheaper to operate

11. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think of it this way: rent is $393.00 a month. Of course with the $15.00 surcharge it's $408.00 a month, so.....rent+free electricity for $408.00 a month:ROFLMAO:

12. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fifteen story building with 16 apartments per floor

(Unless you're the only tenant, in which case that argument is a bit weaker.)[/quote]