1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Comparison of Toyota and Hyundai hybrids....

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Georgina Rudkus, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting video from The Car Care Nut.

2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty funny when he gets towards the end and he's actually comparing his Camry Hybrid to a Hyundai Plug-in Hybrid. I think I'll stick to the Primes, especially for here during the winter.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Since when does the M/G1 help drive the Toyota hybrid system outside of a PHEV?
    A couple other ignorant comments, and I stopped watching.

hill likes this.
  4. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    ???
    Maybe I missed it. ?
    I sometimes wonder if we're in different universes, within this multiverse.

So much random BS, and blatantly incorrect, stuff on the forums.

Toyota KILLED ALL OF THE DINOSAURS!
    Lmao!

Also, Toyota is the BIGGEST polluter in the Universe!
    Rolleyes...
    Imho, Toyota is the only vehicle manufacture truly putting the needs of it's home country first.

Plus, 100% of the Universe is exactly the same as the square mile around the John Hancock building in Boston.
    Yes, everyone has the same exact environment, and needs, as the bounded square mile around the John Hancock building in Boston - Everyone!

Wow, just wow.
    My co-workers and neighbors grade-school kids, make many people on the forums look very "non smart".

#4 prius16, Nov 10, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  5. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    o_O
    So I imagined Toyota adding a clutch to the engine input of the Prius Prime transaxle so the M/G1's output can be applied to the wheels. That it wasn't needed for dual motor mode. Or was it always there, and Toyota kept it secret.

I guess the host was referring to the differences between a power-split and parallel hybrid. How the p-s has a series mode with M/G1 working as a generator to supply energy to M/G2. M/G1 is maybe half the power rating of M/G2. Without help from the battery, M/G2 output will limited to whatever M/G1 can supply, which is less than the motor in the Santa Fe/Tucson hybrid.

The parallel system is limited in that the motor can't help without a charged battery. That's why the Hyundai one has 50% to 100% more capacity than Toyota's; depends on total and usable amounts are. Then it is engine only. The little turbo has a smidge more power than the hybrid 2.5, and around 30ft-pound more torque that becomes available at lower engine speeds. Differences between the two cars in the video when driven are more likely going to be because of the SUV being heavier.

On engines, the video host claimed the Camry hybrid had the same engine as the Camry, making the same power. This is false. It has the same engine core(upper and lower block), but has a different valve train for the Atkinson cycle. This makes the engine more efficient while producing less power.

He also brought up turbo lag for the Hyundai. It can be an issue with some cars, but a hybrid is using the electric motor at the times most drivers would run into it.

With the ignorance and bias on display, I stopped watching after that.

Toyota hybrids are clean cars. I can't say about their current ICE models; the Scions were using older, dirtier engines for the time. I'm sure the company implements efficiency when they can, because it saves money in the long run. Toyota did put a lot lobby effort into keeping MPG targets from improving, against EVs, and other policies for addressing global warming. That puts them in company with polluting petroleum and energy corporations.

I have no clue what a building in Boston has to do with any of this.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone might be having a bad day

7. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to have to watch it again, but I believe the host said MG1 "helps drive the car". And he's absolutely correct. On all e-CVT driven hybrids, there is a mode called pulse, coined arbitrarily by someone a long time ago, where MG1 directly generates electricity from the engine and supplies it to MG2 only to drive the car via just the gas pedal. This was rather easy to to do on my gen2 Prius, a little harder to do on my PiP, damn near impossible on my Prime, but actually somewhat easy on my NXh. Normally the ECU decides when to do this but with a little patience, you could do this with just manipulation of the gas pedal. If you want to see this in action @john1701a has web site where you can see the planetary gear system spin and get this mode.

If you want to get picky, MG1 also generates electricity from the engine to the battery so MG2 can use it to drive the car, which "helps drive the car".

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Which is what he said

It does seem to be on display...

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Got blue screened. so the short version.
    The statement I'm referring to was soon after that. It was one about the Hyundai having a very, very small engine, and only having only the help one motor vs two. He's talking about motors augmenting engine output.

M/G1 converts engine output to electricity to get M/G output. A portion of engine torque is always going to it. It has to do something with it. The Hyundai engine isn't forced to divert output in such a manner; it can send all its output to the wheels. Without the battery, neither system is augmenting the engine output. The M/G1 to 2 path alters it, but so does the automatic transmission in the Hyundai.

As for "helps drive the car," the HSG that he discounts as not being a motor does too. It supplies the 12V system, and is the starter. As the starter it plays a role in smooth shifts between EV and hybrid modes. There is the potential for it to assist the engine and regen brake, as it does so their mild hybrid systems. Couldn't find a site like John's explaining Hyundai's system. It doesn't have to act like a transmission, so is lower power than the M/G1.
    He said it had the same size engine as the non-hybrid, and followed that with an "interesting" because it means the engine isn't severely underpowered. That implies the two engines are of about the same power output. With 30hp less, many wouldn't say that of the hybrid engine.

The pro Toyota bias is expected from the channel. The anti small displacement turbo bias told me I wasn't going to learn anything useful. So I didn't stick around for any possible clarfications