1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Comparison Test: 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid vs. 2011 Toyota Prius Five

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Full Article: Comparison Test: 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid vs. 2011 Toyota Prius Five

2 people like this.
  2. ydooby

ydooby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good win, but I wonder how the Prius ended up with less than 40mpg overall.. Did they average the figure from their performance test or what?

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    they stated something about a very empty highway.... that means high speeds... a prius only get 25mpg or so while doing 100 in an open desert... or so i've heard ;)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure. I know CR got 44mpg overall with the Gen 2 so I was surprised the 3rd gen got a lower number (yes I know, it's a different group of testers). Still, it's a surprisingly win. I honestly thought they were gonna say the Civic was better because it handled better despite lower mpg. First time they've actually acknowledge the both cars for its purpose/mission. Toyota has done well with the 3rd generation.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was about to post this article until I realized Tideland had already done and I'd thanked him before it. Whoops.
    Yeah, I'm puzzled. The Edmunds people must be really terrible drivers for mileage (and with a way out of alignment car w/underinflated tires?) given that
    Yeah... I was thinking too that they must've been driving 85+ mph. For the rest, who knows what they were up to? Very short city drives and driving it wrong for mileage (e.g. misusing EV button and babying the throttle all the time to stay in EV)?

6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    they lost me at 38MPG, meh

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    or tire pressure simply low.

8. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Honda's hybrid technology is second-rate. No matter how they dress up that pig it will remain so until they drop this hybrid assist nonsense and integrate properly.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How could you get a 2011 Prius to do under 40 MPG?

Load it to the max, drive it with high cabin heat, lower tire pressures under 30 PSI, drive it like you stole it?

10. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have an Insight and a Prius 2. The electrics are different (series vs parallel), but the result the consumer sees isn't that much different. Gas mileage: Insight 42 mpg, Prius 47 mpg. Both cars similarly quiet (Prius slightly quieter). Both same CVT transmission. The Green eco readouts on the Insight are a bit more advanced, but it's a later model, 2010. The Prius is higher inside(more spacious feel), slightly smoother ride. The Insight handles better and has more pickup.

The biggest difference? the price. Insight was about $18.5K in 2010; Prius $23.5K in '08.

The Insight is a better value at that price, though I prefer the Prius.

11. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tend to only get below 40mpg when I'm towing my 6x8 trailer. Sometimes I get up to 48mpg while towing though.... I'm sticking with high speed runs and jackrabbit starts as the cause... basically never coasting or cruising below 70mph (then again, my bro gets 50's in his 05 with 200k while at 70mph). Maybe Cwerdna is right about 85+

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Actually, I like Honda's approach: they don't push too hard on any one facet of achieving better mileage, it's a a lot of smaller nudges. At least with the second gen, gas engine displacement was a paltry 1.3 liter. That, coupled with off-the-mark heavy lifting being liberally assisted is the cornerstone of their mpg effort.

Then they added autostop, sequential dual sparkplugs per cylinder, and dual lift valves (mild for the most part, agressive only under heavy acceleration needs). The underside has aeropanels, there's aluminum suspension components.

Where they tripped is expecting too much from the diminutive Integrated Motor Assist battery. Where they did a face plant is their corporate reaction when the IMAs (and to a lesser extent the Continuously Variable Transmissions) started packing it in.

Anyway, I notice after the article, the first comment says in part:

Toyota perpuates the delusionalism with their in-dash mpg fudging.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah... at CR, they got 55 mpg on their highway portion of the test at Most fuel-efficient cars on the 3rd gen.

http://www.consumersunion.org/Oct_CR_Fuel_Economy.pdf says
    On the 2nd gen, they got 50 mpg on the highway portion per Most fuel-efficient cars.