1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Comparison with Hyundai ioniq?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by SkepticBuyer, Jan 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SkepticBuyer

SkepticBuyer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I copied and pasted some info I just read about the upcoming Ioniq. I don't think the car will even be for sale in the U.S. till the end of the year, but I am curious about it since the base asking price in Korea is expected to be $19,145 (according to article below) and the interior/exterior styling seems a little easier on the eyes. I read somewhere else that the Ioniq was designed to improve hwy mileage more so that city. I'm not sure what that means. Thoughts?

greencarreports 2017-hyundai-ioniq

"The Ioniq will ride on a new platform that has some underpinnings shared with the 2017 Elantra sedan.

Its structure is composed of 54 percent high-strength steel, while certain parts including the hood, tailgate, and some suspension components are aluminum.

Overall, Hyundai claims weight savings of 45 percent compared to a car made solely from conventional steel.
    Under the aluminum hood, the Ioniq hybrid will use a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine, mated to a six-speed dual-clutch transmission.

Hyundai claims this version of the engine will achieve 40 percent thermal efficiency--rivaling the efficiency of the 2016 Toyota Prius engine.

It produces 103 horsepower and 108 pound-feet of torque, while an electric motor will produce 43 hp and 125 lb-ft.
    Hyundai did not list a total system output, and simply adding those figures together may not work because of differences in torque curves.

The plug-in hybrid could use similar hardware, with a larger battery pack and more powerful motor, as Hyundai has done with the Sonata Hybrid and related Sonata Plug-In Hybrid.

Hyundai believes their car will achieve 52.7 mpg, as measured on the Korean testing cycle, according to Reuters.

The hybrid model will go on sale in its home market later this month, starting at 22.9 million won ($19,145).

It will be followed by the battery-electric and plug-in hybrid versions, details of which should be revealed in the coming weeks.

We'll also get a closer look at the Ioniq when it appears at the 2016 Geneva Motor Show and 2016 New York Auto Show, both in March."

RCO likes this.
  2. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    These are some comparisons:

Toyota claimed 56mpg, they got 52mpg (actually got 56 in the city with the ECO, stated Ioniq mpg is probably for the highway where the car will be more efficient).

Prius price in the home market is $20,500.

It produces 98 horsepower and 105 pound-feet of torque, while electric motor produces 80hp. Being parallel hybrid this amounts to 121hp.

RCO and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    first of all, the new prius is at the dealerships and can be test driven/purchased.

secondly, most of hyundai's claims have already been achieved by toyota, even though hyundai tries to twist the facts into, 'no one has ever done this before'.

thirdly, we won't know anything until a) they get into the hands of reviewers, b) they get into the hands of owners, c) they get some time on fully, d) they have the 20 years of road worthiness that toyota has shown.

fourthly, i'm not that patient.:cool:

pjm877, Absolu22, tmacrp and 2 others like this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hey,

I read this same message in my SPAM e-mail trap:

Delivered-To: [email protected]
    Received: by 10.182.128.163 with SMTP id np3csp860910obb;
    Fri, 15 Jan 2016 17:06:53 -0800 (PST)
    . . .
    To: [email protected]

Subject: =?utf-8?q?=F3=BE=93=A0_Trump_reveals_groundbreaking_secrets_to_triple_you?=
    =?utf-8?b?ciBpbmNvbWUgZmFzdCDzvpOg?=
    Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 17:06:46 -0800
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>

I copied and pasted some info I just read about the upcoming Ioniq. I don't think the car will even be for sale in the U.S. till the end of the year, but I am curious about it since the base asking price in Korea is expected to be $19,145 (according to article below) and the interior/exterior styling seems a little easier on the eyes. I read somewhere else that the Ioniq was designed to improve hwy mileage more so that city. I'm not sure what that means. Thoughts?

greencarreports 2017-hyundai-ioniq

"The Ioniq will ride on a new platform that has some underpinnings shared with the 2017 Elantra sedan.

Its structure is composed of 54 percent high-strength steel, while certain parts including the hood, tailgate, and some suspension components are aluminum.

Overall, Hyundai claims weight savings of 45 percent compared to a car made solely from conventional steel.
    Under the aluminum hood, the Ioniq hybrid will use a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine, mated to a six-speed dual-clutch transmission.

Hyundai claims this version of the engine will achieve 40 percent thermal efficiency--rivaling the efficiency of the 2016 Toyota Prius engine.

It produces 103 horsepower and 108 pound-feet of torque, while an electric motor will produce 43 hp and 125 lb-ft.
    Hyundai did not list a total system output, and simply adding those figures together may not work because of differences in torque curves.

The plug-in hybrid could use similar hardware, with a larger battery pack and more powerful motor, as Hyundai has done with the Sonata Hybrid and related Sonata Plug-In Hybrid.

Hyundai believes their car will achieve 52.7 mpg, as measured on the Korean testing cycle, according to Reuters.

The hybrid model will go on sale in its home market later this month, starting at 22.9 million won ($19,145).

It will be followed by the battery-electric and plug-in hybrid versions, details of which should be revealed in the coming weeks.

We'll also get a closer look at the Ioniq when it appears at the 2016 Geneva Motor Show and 2016 New York Auto Show, both in March."

Dummy, SPAM is anti-sales. It put not only you but what you tout on my not just NO but HELL NO list.

"PLOINK"

Bob Wilson

Bluegrassman, RCO and bisco like this.
  5. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was reading a bit about the history of Japan's treatment of Korea. It certainly is ugly. I can see why a Korean company would love to steal some of Toyota's thunder. Their claims have yet to be verified. I can't believe that their engineering could better Toyota's and although Hyundai's reliability is respectable, it's still not a Toyota. I find the style of the Prius much more to my liking. Where did they come up with the name "Ioniq"? It is a bit silly. I don't like things that are marketed by referencing and comparing themselves to an established brand. Make your own place in the marketplace based upon your product.

I will try to keep an open mind, though. But remember that up until this point, I haven't had much success.

RCO likes this.
  6. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Agree, there were at least 5 major competitors that only managed to fail so far.
    I guess that Prius customers want a car that stands out or a car that does 50+mpg. Or bot.

Ford for some reason got the idea that mpg's are not that important but rather hp - you buy a non-hybrid if you want that (talking C-Max)
    Honda had some good ideas but some bad results and (also) non-distinctive looks.
    Some European companies (Peugeot) made a hybrid that actually has worse mpg that manual version and is much more expensive. Lol.
    VW made a very complicated car that also isn't distinctive AND is quite expensive.

So, everybody is trying to do something different to take a market share of the Prius because they know they can't (or couldn't so far) make a practical car with distinctive looks and MPG so they are trying to fill in in other departments.

RCO likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is already a long thread about the Ioniq in the hybrid and alt-fuel news section.

Once the Ioniq reaches North American dealers, I'm sure many will be interested in discussing the comparison between it and the gen4 Prius, but we have to wait for the full unveiling of the Ioniq to get all the specs and official ratings for it.

Ioniq's transmission should allow better overdrive gear ratios to achieve a better than Prius highway rating, but it will also mean worse than Prius city. Good or bad depends on the actual numbers, and what the buyer wants.
    How so? "rivaling the efficiency of the 2016 Toyota Prius engine," is the closest to doing so in the post, but to rival something, doesn't that imply the other was the first?

Not a Pepsi drinker then?:)

At this point in time, it is difficult for a hybrid to not be compared to the Prius. If the company doesn't, all the press will, and the Ioniq won't be in a far enough away market segment for Hyundai to play the "we aren't targeting the Prius card."

One of the posts in the other thread mention the name is ion+IQ. I like it; has a nice roll of the tongue, and in also brings unique to mind. Which it is as the first car designed as a hybrid, plug in hybrid, and BEV from the beginning.

#7 Trollbait, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    RCO and KrPtNk like this.
  8. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    From Hyundai:
    "New Hybrid Exclusive Engine, world's highest thermal efficiency of 40%"

RCO likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That wasn't in the OP. It is PR bragging, but how are they implying to have done it first. Toyota's press releases stating the lowest air drag for a car left out the fact that the Model S has had that for years already.

RCO likes this.
  10. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sure looks like the Hyundai Ioniq sure has much better looks than the Prius 2016. Its hard for me to believe it could beat the Prius
    for mpg.

RCO likes this.
  11. SkepticBuyer

SkepticBuyer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for explaining the increased hwy mpg. Dealerships in my hometown say they won't have a test drive model of the Prius for at least a few more weeks. Any cars they have on order are for prepaid customers. I watched a subbed Ioniq video that pronounced it more like eye-oh-neek. I'll check out the other thread you mentioned.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    really? i've been saying, 'ion eeeeeek!!!':eek:

RCO likes this.
  13. SkepticBuyer

SkepticBuyer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes, didn't mean to hurt your feelings Bob! Not sure why you would have such a strong opinion in regards to the number of cars Toyota sells or doesn't sell, but me asking how the Prius stacks up to a competitors model, that I just read about in the news, seems like a pretty normal type of question for a forum dedicated to everything Prius. I received some pretty good feedback from other forum members. If anything, getting these types of questions answered, and out in the open, would probably help persuade people to buy the new Prius. From my perspective, you inadvertently made it seem like the new Prius has something to hide or can't stack up against the competition by suggestion the nature of my post is taboo. I'm asking questions because it's a big investment and I still haven't even physically seen, much less driven a new Prius yet. I'm as anxious as anyone to get behind the wheel of one of these cars, but Toyota is taking their sweet time shipping them to the dealers out here. Fanboys give the integrity of forums like these a bad name.

RCO likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not sure what you mean? how would you expect anyone to know how the prius stacks up to ionique, when all we have is hype from hyundai?

you're statement that 'toyota sure is taking their sweet time' shows your bias. but bias towards/against what?(n)

Absolu22 and RCO like this.
  15. SkepticBuyer

SkepticBuyer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha! That may end up sticking.

16. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Hyundai is claiming 22.4 km per liter on their Korean website, Hyundai.co.kr, although it is unclear if this is city, highway, or combined. This converts to 52.7 mpg (US).

By contrast, the 3rd generation Prius Liftback sold in Korea is listed as 21.7 km per liter city, 20.1 highway, and 21.0 combined on toyota.co.kr. That works out to 49.4 mpg (US) combined. The Korean mpg figures appear to be closely similar to US EPA ratings.

So, they are claiming better mpg than the 3rd gen Prius. The 4th gen Prius does not seem to be on sale yet in Korea.

#16 Jeff N, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Korea actually uses the EPA test cycles for their emission and fuel economy tests.

Sounds like the Ioniq will fall somewhere between the gen 3 and 4 Prius. For most buyers, it will be something else besides the few MPGs difference that sways them either way.

18. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Well, acceleration and "sportiness" sure won't be one of the reasons to sway the customers away. :p
    Clocked in in about 11.5s.

SkepticBuyer likes this.
  19. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    It is hard to compare a car that isn't available yet for direct comparisons in your country with one that is but only in some markets.

None the less, we here have managed to generate nearly 500 messages on the subject.

SkepticBuyer likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Q. How many angels can dance on the hood?

A. Apparently more than can dance on a 2016 Prius hood. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.