1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

compass does not work?! radiation fear anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CaliforniaPrius, Dec 2, 2012.

1. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just realized my lovely compass doesn't work anywhere inside or 20 inches around car outside, radiation fear anyone? It is scary to drive in a magnet.

2. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What kind of radiation? :eek: We all live on a giant magnet... I think the built-in compass feature is an electronic device based on micro neodymium magnets, something like magnetometers used in handheld GPS receivers or so... no fear at all.

Jaquimo likes this.
  3. CaliforniaPrius

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am no kidding, just buy a cheapie compass and have a try, it is like a 'magnet space' around my car, a magnetic field strong enough to defeat what you said 'giant magnet'.

4. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have just tried with my trekking magnetic compass (fluid). Approached the vehicle, then I took my driver's seat. I see only the usual compass deviation caused by the presence of reasonable amount of ferromagnetics an electromagnetic field (which in hybrid car should be higher than in conventional vehicle). Nothing unusual. The magnetic compass deviation from true North is about 10-12 degrees (in my case). We - mariners - deal with it by establishing magnetic compass deviation card to know always where are we going to (in case of gyro failure).
    [​IMG]
    I'm guessing that you tried to compare the handheld compass with car navigation indications (?)

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this 'cheapie compass' built for automobiles, or is it meant only for hiking?

Hiking compassing have always had problems with the steel chassis and frames in cars, generations before today's hybrids existed. When I was a kid, I remember dad putting an automotive unit in his pickup, then having to follow the calibration procedure to adjust a couple bias magnets built into the unit to cancel out the magnetic field of the car.

Have you tried this 'cheapie compass' in a regular car?

6. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep! Right now :) And the deviation is even more, almost 20 degrees. Perhaps my Mitsubishi van is built from more steel. My compass is not the "cheapie" one, carefully selected years ago... you know - I'm a navigator :D

Forgot to ask - what type is your compass?

7. CaliforniaPrius

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    those $1.49 ones from ebay

8. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I understand - magnet compass - not the electronic one... whatever - whenever you'll get lost - to obtain a true indications always keep clear from iron or steel constructions. Eventually look at the sky - the North is so easy to find :)
    Besides - in some future all magnet-based devices may become not trustworthy anymore...
    Earth's Magnetic Field Made Quick Flip-Flop : Discovery News

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three