1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Complete Cooling System Service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nc08prius, Jun 23, 2022.

1. nc08prius

nc08prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am planning on doing full service on my 2008's cooling system. I am going to replace the water pump, thermostat, drive belt on the ICE side. I am also going to replace the inverter coolant pump as well as the diverter valve.

Does anyone have suggestions on the order I do these things? For example, should I start with the inverter side? At what point should I replace the diverter valve? Etc.

Any suggestions, points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I do have a copy of the 2006 factory service manual which floats around online.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    North Carolina Prius owner is something wrong with the car or you just want to replace all this because it's from 2008 by all means have at it I don't think it really makes much of it difference the order you do this because you're taking the coolant system pretty much apart inverter pump the valve the water pump the belt you're going to be pretty empty so there you go I will say this I have a 2009 but the only thing that's had to be replaced on it in the cooling system is the inverter pump a few times be careful with these apparently the two places are three places that manufacture them don't do such a good job including Toyota good luck

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is no specific order you need to do this service. Just drain the coolant on the side you do first. I would do only 1 side at a time, just in case you don't finish and you only end up having time for 1 side. You won't be without a car.

4. nc08prius

nc08prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys. Just preventive maintenance. Car's got 160k and I figured I may as well change these parts while I have the coolant drained out. I grabbed all the parts while the Toyota parts site was doing a really good sale a few mos back.