1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Complete rear quick strut vs individual strut spring etc

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cincy14, Aug 16, 2017.

1. cincy14

cincy14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,
    I've learned tons from this site the last couple years but never posted before.

My 2006 has 128k miles and needs new rear springs and struts, probably fronts too. When I upgraded the rear sway bar last spring I noticed the bottom half coil of the left spring was broken.

I've done a lot of searching through the forums but it's not quite clear what the quality of the available complete strut assemblies is. It would be much easier to use replacement quick struts than decompressing the existing assembly to replace the spring, strut, mount, etc. The available quick struts I've found are either Monroe, FCS / Unity, or no name brand. I'd like to get some input from those who have used these versus OEM struts and springs. Are the quick struts reliable or should I avoid them?

Many thanks

2. First_Time_prius_owner

First_Time_prius_owner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What did you end up doing for this repair? I have the same issue, my coil spring is cracked, and trying to decide between rear springs or quick struts. I'll give the work to a mechanic either way (after taking the interior apart myself) but just wondering if it makes sense to replace a spring and keep the strut. I have 270,000 KM or 167,000 miles on my gen 2 prius. mine is the right spring.

3. cincy14

cincy14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went with complete strut assemblies on both sides. My right spring was also cracked at the very bottom when I removed it. I'm at about a year on the quick struts and they are working fine. I know of a couple other Priuschat members who have good results with them as well.
    At 167k miles, your struts are likely worn out and in need of replacement so quick struts are the best choice.

4. First_Time_prius_owner

First_Time_prius_owner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just ordered quick struts as well for both sides - and i checked my right spring and it is also cracked right at the bottom! same place...!
    thanks for sharing your experience/advise :)

5. MrJamtastic

MrJamtastic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    It would be most helpful to find out what brand quick struts you went with. I have 2 cracked rear springs so will be replacing them as soon as it warms up a bit...

6. cincy14

cincy14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't recall the brand. I got them off ebay at $102 for the pair and I'm still very happy with them.

7. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've done Monroe's Quick Struts on all four corners well over a year ago. No issues other than the ride is a little harsher than the OEM struts but that could of also been attributed to the OEM's age. Either way Monroe's are a plug and play application. Remember to get your car aligned if replacing the front struts. And as has been discussed recently, consider the lifeline alignment if you plan on keep your car any length of time as the lifeline time service will pay for itself after the second alignment.

8. MrJamtastic

MrJamtastic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Update!
    Since it’s too cold here presently to tear apart the vehicle to replace the rear shock assembly I opted for the Spring Donuts. They went on easy, raised the body a bit and have definitely stiffened the ride. Also. I’m able to load the necessary product in the trunk area without bottoming out! I thought $100 bucks for 2 donuts was a bit expensive, but I could not find any other alternatives. While installing the donuts I did notice that the spring on the left side was broken, at the bottom, so shock\spring replacement will happen this summer.

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Give it time. You will fell otherwise.

The quality of the components in "quick" strut/shock replacements is questionable.

Ran across these two videos that reinforce the perception of less than ideal quality.

#9 exstudent, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    srellim234 likes this.
  10. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone else have some input on which brand of rear strut assemblies are good? Like the OP mentioned, there are so many brands out there. KYB assemblies seem impossible to get right now or incredibly expensive.

I've had horrible experience with Monroe in the past, so Monroe is out of the question for me.
    Rockauto has a few brands I've never heard of and reviews online seem hard to come by. FCS brand has the little heart symbol next to the item indicating they are a favorite among purchasers, but I've never heard of FCS brand before (however, price is good at $50 for each assembly). Rockauto also has brands PRT, Ultra-Power, and Gabriel. I've also found on amazon the brands TRQ, Detroit Axle, Unity and AutoShack. Many of the Amazon reviews are pretty good, but I don't trust amazon reviews anymore. I'd rather get feedback from first-hand experience from a member on this forum.

My car is 2009 Prius with 185k miles. Per another user's input, I purchased the AC Delco strut assemblies for the front yesterday (haven't received them yet), so now I'm on the search for something good for the rear assemblies.

11. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would use KYB or Toyota. If other brands are way cheaper, then I have to ask why? (you often get what you pay for)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.