1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Completed Speaker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Mac Prius, May 6, 2012.

1. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Removing and reinstalling shouldnt be a problem. I have always upgraded the systems in my vehicles but I also tend to keep my cars a while so I rarely switch them out to another vehicle.

2. PriusTom61

PriusTom61 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I modified the speaker system and added a four channel amplifier. The total cost was about $900.00 including labor. The work was completed at Long Radio in West Springfield, MA. They installed A pioneer #GMD9500f for $250, JL Audio 30 amp amplifier kit #XDACS30 at $59, under the passenger seat, 2 Alpine 6.5" Type S speakers #SPS610 in the rear at $99, A Dynamat extreme speaker kit #10415 at $29.98, and Alpine 6x9" Type S speakers #SPS619 in the front for $119.99. I kept the dash speakers in place however. The sound is great. They also installed a drivers seat heater installing the switch just in front of the lumbar button. I'm very happy with the sound and the components are completely interfaced with the Prius V three sound system. I now have rear speakers to listen to.

Stevevee likes this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ".....and the components are [comptetely inerfaced] with the Prius V three sound system."

Sounds like justification for a sticky to me, but what do I know.

4. Fyrod

Fyrod New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for sharing review. l love music and installing latest speakers in the market. Price is not bad.

5. Paul Vanderpool

Paul Vanderpool New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mac, or anyone else for that matter, have you found that your upgrades have had a negative affect on the power output/ mileage on your vehicle. Part of the selling point for the JBL is that they are efficient. Thoughts?

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I run JL's HD900/5 Amp with no effects to power or mileage. Another long time member in good standing use to run 1900 Watts with no affects as well. Sorry can't remember his name, but a search will find. The JBL claim is hype.

frodoz Stereo Upgrade | PriusChat

7. Mac Prius

Mac Prius Mod Junkie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I havent experienced any issues regarding power or mileage. Only issue has been to my hearing. :)

8. gnguyen

gnguyen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Regarding Crutchfield's recommended 6.5" front and 5.25" rear speaker sizing, if you look at the brackets they include with their speaker purchases, it's clear they are adapting smaller speakers to mount into an oblong shape in front (6x8" or 6x9"), and a larger round shape in the rears (6.5"). Crutchfield must not have the exact size brackets to fit the largest possible speakers into each location, and are just falling back onto their standard brackets.

I did read in another thread how someone actually drilled out the factory speakers from the factory mounting bracket and fitted 6x9" speakers into them.

Not having opened up the doors myself yet, I don't have a good idea of how much work it would be to do this, how hard it would be to make my own brackets, whether only certain speakers would fit even with this custom work. It's difficult to plan and foresee for someone who is researching DIY replacement of the factory speakers for my first time. I may just go with Crutchfield and the smaller speakers for the guarantee that what they send me should work.

9. asudan

asudan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  10. Peter Glazer

Peter Glazer New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Peter again, 7 months into my, true, pricey upgrade. I remain very, very happy with the system detailed above. What's changed is that now that the Focal speakers in the front are broken in, their clarity has improved, the bass is tighter and more distinct, the highs sweeter. As for reinstalling this in another car on down the line, most of this system should transfer with ease. I haven't spent much time in the back seat of my own car (my arms and legs aren't that long), but at rest, the sound is vastly improved, though the difference between the rear Pioneers and the front Focals is inescapable. I am sure a sub would improve the sound overall, but I don't want to spend the money, or lose the trunk space (have dog -- have been wondering what those low frequencies do to him -- another reason I passed on the sub). I rely on a sub at home, in two different rooms, and can't imagine life without them. I am used to that sound, and feel no need for a sub in the Prius.

11. DaveLadely

DaveLadely Junior Member

I have heard that Audio Control integration unit isn't all that great, and speaker level inputs are Mickey Mouse, with higher distortion. Seems better to use the low level (preamp) outputs that go from the head unit to the stock amp in the JBL system. Since the outputs aren't labeled and don't have RCA plugs, that would have to be figured out. Then use the low level outputs from the head to a better Audio Control unit to contour the sound, then output that to a separate amp.

12. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After 7 months, I'm ready to do a Minor tweak to my V. Definitely a much smaller budget affair, and I'll probably be doing it locally. Having rear speakers you can hear would be a definite plus.

Any suggestions for four replacement speakers and an amp? Crisp highs and tight bass are pretty much all my ears could appreciate now.

I just remembered I had two brand new
    Polk Audio db651

That I had left over from my boat. Would those be a good fit?

13. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just got my 2013 Prius V Trim III and I cannot believe how badly Toyota missed on this audio system design.
    The rear speakers are completely muffled and I cannot even hear them until I get the Front rear fader to the second to last down position. Then there is no granularity to adjust between front and back, and the back just sounds like crap. I don't blast my music, so I am fairly happy with how the front sounds. Do you think I could get away with just getting better speakers for the rear and maybe adding some tweeters near the top of the back doors? I hate to go with all the expense of adding amplifiers. $1600 would have gotten me half way to a Trim Level V.

14. PBILLYT

PBILLYT New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

15. PBILLYT

PBILLYT New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Hey Man,

Thanks for ALL the information. I absolutely love my 2012 Prius v II. Way into my Tunes and spend a ton of time behind the wheel..... Very Happy with the Head Unit. I just need to upgrade speakers, add amp, etc... and I know nothing about this stuff! I will let you know what I end up with and what I spend. I am sure there are many others our there like us! The whole reason I ended up on this site is due to researching my audio options....

Thanks again,

Paul

16. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

#36 rjparker, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  17. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Much closer to the mod I want. I've never heard Kicker speakers, so I have no idea what they're like. Around here, there aren't that many choices between Best Buy and a higher end local firm.

18. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think it would be a true service to those of use who might want to do a very modest upgrade for those who clearly know car sound systems to post recommendations for two cases:

1. Rear only speaker replacements. I'm talking drop in replacements, so someone could do this in an afternoon themselves.
    2. Front and rear (door only) speaker replacements. Same as above.

The reason I ask is that while many years ago I would have opted to do something much more, my life and lifestyle is such that while I would really love to have *better* sound that I have in my v5, I'm not putting either a new amp or a subwoofer in. It just isn't happening. So while I'm fine with pulling the door panel and replacing speakers, anything more just isn't on my priority list. Kind of like while I've rebuilt several engines in my time, I've also done it for the last time.

Thanks in advance to anyone who picks up on this!

19. BuckyB

BuckyB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If I'm not mistaken, the main complain most of us have about the sound in our 'v's is low rear speaker volume. It's doubtful that the problem is the speakers themselves. Probably the best fix is to add a 2-channel amp for the rears only. This wouldn't likely be a "drop-in" fix. For me, the easiest fix is just to adjust the radio almost completely to the back (on-screen) and turn up the volume. It's still beyond me why the system was designed and built this way.

juanmapriuschat likes this.
  20. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think that is a good description of the symptom that many complain about. However, my guess is that the problem is most easily addressed by a better choice of rear speaker. Why? My bet is that the impedance of the rear speakers is slightly higher than the front, perhaps twice even - as if 4 and 8 ohms. That alone would account for the problem. A second possible cause is that the rears are lower in efficiency (dB/W) than the front, which would also cause the symptom. So, what I'm guessing the answer is for the rear, is a 4 ohm, high efficiency, two-way (probably) drop in replacement.

That's not to say adding a 2-channel amp wouldn't fix the problem as well, and most likely be a better answer for someone who didn't mind dealing with that hassle. I'm just hoping the easiest, minimalist improvement solution would find a sponsor for those of us who want a part of the afternoon job, rather than a weekend job.

Stevevee likes this.