1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Complications from Window Tint

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by steveoknievo, Aug 18, 2013.

1. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I took my 2012 C to get tinted yesterday at a local shop. Had them use LLumar Forumla 1 Pinnacle Ceramic film. He did a pretty great job and I'm happy with the tint as it was hotter than.. well I'm sure you know.

I came out to look at the car as the car is still in the "tint has to cure" stage. I've left it out to bake in the sun and upon looking at it this morning I saw this: Prius Tint Complications1.JPG
    Prius Tint Complications2.JPG

Needless to say I'm somewhat upset but I'm also unsure what caused this. My car had Stealership installed crappy dyed tint that they removed with a steamer, and as far as I know they only used soap and water to clean the windows.. I've emailed them about it (won't hear back from them today as it's Sunday, but I'm sure tomorrow I will hear back). It's a reputable place where I live that's been there for 10 years. He said he used to do all of the Prii for the dealer right down the road so he was experienced with my car (part of why I chose him). I would think he would have had experience with this if that was the case..

Anybody experience this after tinting their Prius C? I'm apprehensive about trying to fix it myself as I don't want to make it worse.. I'm confident that the shop will take care of me but in the meantime I had to post this and get some thoughts from you guys. Please bring some good news!

It almost looks like it bleached the plastic, and is like this on all four doors.

Would rubbing alcohol be a bad idea to get this to go away? Maybe some windex or something?

2. Atuldo

Atuldo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Schmuck that did tint like ,that would upset my wife very much ,if he did her audi 5(leather doors)....
    Schmuck should have tape off and cover everything.....
    Schmuck like that should not be in business .....

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's hard to tell from pictures, maybe you can tell in person better.

But I think you are looking at trying to get repair and replacement cost.

Because from the photos it sure looks like something that bleached or removed the color and dye was used. No amount of cleaning will return the color.

In fact, until this is resolved I wouldn't clean it at all. You don't want any possibility or accusation that the faded spots were the result of something YOU used. Also you start throwing chemicals at it, you might make it worse.

Good Luck, I hope it doesn't become too much of a nightmare.

4. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ugh this is starting to appear like one. Hopefully it will go smoothly. Boy if it isn't one thing, it's another I tell you.

5. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    just take it back to the shop and go from there.

6. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I did just this today.

The owner was very nice and prior to my coming to his shop I spoke with him on the phone. He said they must have forgotten to armor all the panels prior to giving my car back to me. He said some natural finish armor all or some of the Toyota branded stuff will take it right off. I have the 3 bottle Toyoguard kit in my car so I gave it a shot per his suggestion--no go. So I took it in and he grabbed his Armor All and came outside to try. Didn't work. In fact, the Armor All and a rag actually took paint off of the door panel.. I personally don't think it's something the tint shop caused. If armor all can take paint off, it must not have been applied right.

Anyway, it's only on the grey colored surfaces. There is a black plastic piece on both rear doors and the back hatch, all of the black pieces are normal and unaffected. But all grey colored pieces are discolored. He said the only thing he could think of was perhaps the steam softened up the paint.. He took my vin and is going to call Toyota to handle it. I'm curious to see what happens with this.. Has anybody here tried to wipe down their door panels with armor all or Toyoguard? Any ill affects?

He has done other Prius C's before and never experienced this, which makes me think it's just my car (of course.. My luck would work that way!) Then again, on the new cars he installed on, he didn't need to steam them to get the crap film off since there was no film to begin with..

To be continued...