1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

compromised rear turn signal

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Grateful Dad, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Grateful Dad

Grateful Dad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,

Proud owner of a "new" (to me) 2019 prius prime premium. The deal was great, but the purchase was made in the evening and in a covid hurry, and this was a "loaner" car with 6600 miles on it, so not new. Only today did I notice an undisclosed bit of damage which is a small piece of the turn signal housing being broken off toward the inside bottom, and a tiny bit of touch up next to it. I assume the way things are built these days that the whole light is one unit (just the signal? whole thing?) But my main question is, if I just leave it as is, since it is very hard to see, will water getting inside cause the light to short/fail or is there more protection beyond this point? It looks like it is well below the actual led's, so maybe water wouldn't even make it there, but just wondering. (I will take it up with the dealer but not terribly optimistic, probably just end up as a bad review - though if they do take care of it it will be a five star one).

Thanks for input. If you know what is involved in replacing this I would appreciate this info also.

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Premium Have -
    fog lights?
    Park Assist?
    which side is it? Right/Passenger or Left/Driver
    Take pics of damage

Know your cars options
    Signal Lamps for 2019 Toyota Prius Prime | Toyota Parts

The Link below shows possible optional equipment.
    scroll 1/3 down this page to see the Park Assist Sensor diagram and parts list for the back bumper and 2/3 down the page for the front Park Assist Sensor diagram and parts list.
    Electrical Components for 2019 Toyota Prius Prime | Toyota Parts

I think this part is for a 2019 Plus
    shown for comparison
    Signal Lamps & Reflector for 2019 Toyota Prius Prime | Toyota Parts

I've done similar, although not a Premium or Advanced.

I recommend double checking every light function your car has to make sure you know when those two signal lamps get lit up since the wire harness appears to be more complex for the Premium and Advanced models.

#2 vvillovv, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, photos of the damage will help us to assert what can be done to mend it if possible. As you mentioned, those LED turn signals are usually sold as a whole assembly and very expensive new. I don't think there are any aftermarket parts for those yet. If it is an inconspicuous small damage, letting it would be a choice. If It actually is broken off to cause water to enter as you are worried, then maybe a small patch of epoxy to fill the hole?

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    ebay has both new and damaged signal lamps for the Prime

try to get a good understanding of what your car requires before attempting an ebay buy of either new or other.
    Besides, the ebay prices for new were more (when I looked) than the links I provided

Salamander_King likes this.