1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Compustar Remote Start - 2022 Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by eow, Jan 18, 2022.

1. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    To summarize today’s learning:

Independent of the climate control air direction selection, at a cold enough ambient temperature, when remote starting the PP, the front windshield defrost is activated by the remote starter.

As expected, when a door is opened, the PP shuts down. When restarting using the push to start button on the dash, the climate control settings revert back to the setting previously selected before remote starting the PP. in my case, the windshield / foot selection I made the previous evening.

iPhone ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    afaik, the front defrost will always fire up the ice, no matter the ambient temp. toyota calls it a safety feature. if you can't see, you aren't safe

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is possible that the Compstar engine starter is tapping into that "feature" to force the engine to come on no matter what the ambient temperature is and even if the traction battery is full of charge. Yeah, if that is the case, it is always going to be engine on with the defroster ON.

4. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Since it was only -22C after supper this evening, I decided to experiment with the remote start while I was in the vehicle. This way I could make better observations and experiment with a few other things of interest.

I was able to confirm the earlier observation that the windshield defrost is activated on remote start as previously reported.

I also confirmed that if the driver’s heated seat was left on during the previous use of the PP, it would still be on when using the remote start. I assume the same for the passenger seat.

This next observation will require more time and experimentation to understand. This morning, not only was the windshield defrost activated when using the remote start, but so was the mirror / rear window defrost. I did not report it earlier assuming that I had left it on last night by accident (fat fingers). I never intentionally use the mirror / rear window defroster so it seemed odd.

This evening with the cabin already warm, I confirmed that the mirror / rear window defrost is not activated when using the remote even if it was left on previously. I will need to observe if it is activated upon remote start when the cabin is cold, is humid or if it is ambient temp dependent. Unfortunately (or fortunately) we have more extreme cold days forecast so I should be able to observe it again.

iPhone ?

Joe Cowie and Salamander_King like this.
  5. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Seems like a good theory.
    If true, how will it respond in the summer?

iPhone ?

Salamander_King likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The heated seat switch stays ON or OFF as you leave it. It is a physical toggle switch. As soon as the car is in READY state, if the switch was left ON, then it will turn on the heated seat.

Yeah, the rear defroster switch is similar to the front defroster switch. It is a soft switch. It defaults back to OFF when the car is turned off. The fact it was on without you turning it on means it must be turned on by the remote starter. It is interesting that it did not turn ON again the second time. I don't know why they would set a cut-off temperature for that? I guess, the colder the temp, the more likely you need to turn on the rear defroster.

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think I have ever used a front defroster in summer. But I think the car would turn on the engine even during the hot season, and even if you have the A/C set to cool.

8. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    I will need to confirm in the summer, but expect to use the fob climate control during the warm season unless out of range.

iPhone ?

9. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    -15C this morning

Once again, the mirror / rear window defrosters were activated along with the windshield defrost when remote starting the PP. Not the best picture through the passenger window:

IMG_4404.jpg

iPhone ?

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I can see both switches lit up. So, now you saw twice with the rear defroster turned on with the engine running by the remote switch. Yeah, if you can confirm that the rear defrost does not turn on if the temp is higher, then there must be a cutoff temp for the rear defrost.

11. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Today’s observation.

During the day I stepped out of work to run an errand. It was -9C and the mirror / rear window defrost was not activated, only the defrost was when remote started.

Magic temp for the mirror / rear window defrost to come on may be between -9 and -15C.

iPhone ?

#31 eow, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  12. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    In another post on remote engine starters with a Prime, it was speculated that a false start would be indicated if an attempt was made to remote start with the charge cable connected.

I did not find that to be the case with the Compustar remote starter with the charge cable connected while charging or after charging was complete. In both cases the remote start fob did provide a green indicator suggesting that the vehicle received the start signal, BUT within a few seconds, it signalled in red that it failed. Also, the indicator flashes to indicate the engine was running and the remaining run time, do not appear on the remote start fob.

Therefore it is obvious that the remote start attempt was unsuccessful when the charge cable was connected to the Prime.

When I went outside a few minutes after the test to check for error messages on the dash, there were none. When it is warmer, I will repeat the test while outside so I am able to observe the dash for messages that may have cleared quickly.

iPhone ? no

#32 eow, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  13. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Found the Firstech Install manual specific for the Prime:
    RSA-TL7-[CM-DC3]-(Toyota_PriusPrime_2022_35244)-EN-D_20220106_135200.pdf (idatalink.com)
    (note how recent the revision is, 2022-01-06)

And the product guide:
    FT-PG-[DC3]-EN_20220113.pdf (idatalink.com)

Nothing on pages 3 to 5 of the Install guide would suggest that the remote start module is taking control and activating the defrost functions when using the Compustar remote start fobs. Am I missing something on the schematic?

There is an accessory temp sensor shown on page13 of the product guide. But I doubt it was included in my system since it was not on the invoice.

It has me now wondering if that means the Prime itself is programmed to activate the defrost functions based on temperature when an aftermarket remote start is installed.

I am going to try and connect with the installer to gain some insights on this topic.

Also, I need to test if pressing the factory fob (3 times) will start the Prime remotely (with the limited range of the factory fob). The documentation suggests it should work.

14. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Pressing the lock button three times on the factory fob did not remote start the Prime.

iPhone ?

Darien Day and Salamander_King like this.
  15. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I wish Toyota's app. had more functionality. From what I've read on other forums, other plug-in hybrids are able to have their ICE engines started via their app. and also have door lock / unlock functionality. I had a Compustar system in my previous car and it got old real quick having to carry two fobs around for one car.

16. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    The single button Compustar remote is less cumbersome. But I hear you.

An available option I did not consider is a pay for use smart phone App that has the functionality you are looking for.

Google DroneMobile for info.

iPhone ?

#36 eow, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    Darien Day likes this.
  17. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Another observation.

Last evening I needed to leave for an appointment after the PP sat outside in -23C temps for about an hour. There was no frost on the outside of the windows and I noticed that the rear window / mirror defrost was NOT on when I came to the PP which I had started a few minutes earlier with the remote start. Only the windshield defrost was.

All previous starts with the remote start at similar temperatures resulted in both the windshield and rear window/ mirror defrosts coming on.

iPhone ?

#37 eow, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  18. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Observation when leaving work today.

With ambient temperature at -4C, both the front and rear defrosters were activated when remote starting the PP.

iPhone ?

19. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    At -14C this morning, the ICE started with the front windshield and rear window / mirror defrosts both on when remote starting the PP. ICE started when I restarted the PP while in the vehicle.

This evening at -11C, the ICE started with the front windshield and rear window / mirror defrosts both on when remote starting the PP. ICE DID NOT started when I restarted the PP while in the vehicle. It went to EV.

20. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    The size of the single button remote start fob compared to the Toyota fob:

IMG_4439.jpg

iPhone ?