1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Computer problem/question -- any desktop Tech Experts?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Feb 1, 2013.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hoping someone can help....I know this would probably be better on Tom's Hardware or something like that....

My hard drive failed, so I am now breaking in a new (OK, refurbished) computer HP with 12GB RAM 2TB HD AMD A10-5700.

Works well -- EXCEPT -- I am having trouble filling out some forms. I can type well in Word documents, no trouble typing in the box here on PriusChat....

BUT, in some forms to fill and register online, I'll press a key and nothing types....Keep pressing and finally the letter will type, or more often, I'll get ten "k's" instead of one I need to type my first name. Eventually, by playing around, I can get it done....

Any thoughts?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You bought a new computer because the hard disk failed? Throwing the baby out with the bathwater!

What you are seeing is lag. Is this refurbished system a clean OS install? Did you install video drivers? Those will cause the biggest lag if not installed if you have a decent monitor connected to it. Everything will work with Windows' built in drivers, but they are generic and do not utilize optimal methods. They work with almost everything, but work perfectly with nothing.

My bet is that your CPU usage is spiking when this happens. Bring up the task manager and run the CPU graph ontop in the corner and next time it happens look at the graph.

3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And Task Manager says: CPU use during form fill is 3 (three) percent

....this on a very troublesome form that took about five minutes to fill out my name and address --

My old computer was a circa year 2000 Dell with I believe a 32GB hard drive and 1 GB RAM (I tripled(?) the RAM a few years ago before that, it was really pitiful). It had been dying a slow death for a long time. It survived myself and my brothers downloading all sorts of virus and spyware programs during our teen years....time for it to retire....

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Start at number 1. Plug your old keyboard back in and see if it has the same problem.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yep, and try another browser.

Agree w/all the above.

If the OP can, I'd suggest a clean install or a restore from a restore media or partition. Then, run Windows Update downloading all critical updates until there are no more. It'll require many runs and many reboots. (Run WU, let it finish installing, reboot, run WU again...) Then install a decent anti-virus app, not fake scareware. (Even though I don't recommend it, even
    Please upgrade your browser - Microsoft Windows
    is better than nothing.)

And, as always, be super cautious about clicking on random links (esp. in email that ends up being marked as spam) or downloading and installing any software (including toolbars, browser plugins/extensions) from unknown sources. Also, if you have them installed be sure to keep Flash and Acrobat Reader up to date. Leave its auto-updating feature on (despite Flash's being a bit flaky and unpredictable as to when it'll pull down updates).

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    She did the right thing. Upgrading a 12 year old computer is going to take a trip to the Antique Store. I'd start by moving the keyboard to different ports then swapping the keyboard. Even though it doesn't take much power it may be too much for a display's USB port.

Hey, why not come to us first? We're better than Tom, anyway.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah a PC from 2000 is worthless.

8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reformat and re-install, it's the only way to go.

If you have a brand name PC- and it came with a Windows COA or COA sticker on it- it's perfectly legal to format it and reinstall the same version of Windows it came with from factory. The correct version of Windows will activate on your machine as it has a factory SLIC in the BIOS. No hacks or loaders needed- you just need to install the correct certificate and key- those are all easy to obtain at the site I'll link below.

If you don't have the OEM Windows disk- go to the MDL forum, read this thread: The Official Windows 7 Repository download and activate. It's very simple and legal since your machine is already licensed to run that version of Windows.

9. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did not ask, but guess you are running Windows 7 - join Windows 7 Forums - it's run by mods and admins that have all kinds of Microsoft certifications.

Consider downloading Soluto - Get more out of your PC to get rid of lots of junk during the bootup that corrupts your memory.

On browsers, I love Google Chrome.

10. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Problem solved. It's a new wireless keyboard I am using. It seems to be particular about where it is placed on the desk.
    Moving it a few inches solves any issues....gee....my laptop works 20 yards away....the keyboard is sensitive about a few inches....must be a female board...:ROFLMAO:

11. Lutchenko

Lutchenko Will Perrin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I recommend deleting Windows and replacing it with Linux then get ready for a serious performance boost :)

12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't notice "wireless keyboard" mentioned in your original post?
    You would have most likely gotten different suggestions and responses based on that input device option.