1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Computer shut down, car keeps running ...

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Northerner, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Northerner

Northerner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am hoping someone can explain what happened to my 2020 Prime Limited yesterday when the following event unfolded - and how to avoid it in the future.
    I was driving down the street a few blocks from my house (having just started out) when I noticed Apple Car Play hadn’t launched. I detached and reattached my cell phone while still driving and nothing changed. I checked the cell phone to see if something was wrong with it and it looked fine. Then, without warning, the big screen on the car rebooted- went black, restarted (even playing the start up jingle), and then started running just fine. Apple CarPlay was recognized and started functioning normally. All of this took place while driving down the road with the car running otherwise normally in EV mode.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Happily, the infotainment system doesn't run the car, so it can reboot without affecting your driving (other than by distracting you).

fuzzy1 likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Others have had the infotainment system reboot with the car on.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    comoon bug, se the thread with thousands of complaints

5. SciRunner

SciRunner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    2021 XLE. I had a message appear the Entune apps need an update. It downloaded and updated while I was driving. Maybe an OTA update?

6. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    As an aside, you may perform a forced reboot of the Navigation/infotainment system by keeping the "Audio ON/OFF" button depressed for several seconds (I've needed to do that on occasion when Apple CarPlay refused to connect or dropped out.

Prim.e.xample likes this.
  7. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Reboot happened to my 2020 XLE yesterday while I've just left my house for less than a block. But I was not doing anything to the infotainment system, nor connect to carplay.

8. Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Regardless of the cause, don't drive while plugging/unplugging your phone and trying to fuss with your big screen, says the cyclist tired and scared of distracted drivers.

9. Northerner

Northerner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Excellent advice. Actually, car was running but I pulled over and stopped while fumbling with the phone. Nothing worked so I threw up my hands and continued down the road. That is when the system rebooted itself.

#9 Northerner, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the large 11.6" display turned off most of the time I have owned 2017 PP Premium (now XLE). Never installed Entune on my phone, thus never applied the HU update. You do not need that screen to drive the car.