1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Concede Defeat - 2002 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ocprius21, Dec 16, 2012.

1. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    wow 2007 since the change. its probably on its way out and that could be why your car is doing the check engine and abs brake thing. There is a thread somewhere about these cars getting funky when the 12v battery gets towards the end of its life.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is why I asked for the age of the battery, I am now very interested in knowing what the voltage is of the battery with the voltmeter. The OP may simply need a new battery to solve all of the problems. I know that the Gen 2 will sound off the buzzer if the voltage drops below 11 volts when booting up. I don't know much about the Gen 1 though. The codes will tell it all along with the voltage test of the 12 volt battery.

Ron

scotman27 likes this.
  3. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I agree 100%.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By the way, there's a built-in voltmeter. No taking out trunk trim, no red-thing-on-this-silver-part, no black-thing-on-that-silver-part. Just turn the car to ON (not READY) with the parking brake on, press the DISPLAY button on the dash, then touch six times (total) in the top and bottom left corners of the rectangular outlined area of the display screen (top bottom top bottom top bottom). In the diagnostic screen that comes up, touch one of the
    menu buttons on the top right (might be "display check") then select "vehicle signal check". One of the signals
    you'll see is the voltage of the 12 volt battery.

With nothing else turned on, you might see a voltage around 12, maybe down to 11.5, and if you turn on some things like headlights, wipers, heater, etc., you might pull it towards 11.0 or so; any more drop than that might put you in the mood for a new battery. Post what you get, because other people might have different opinions than mine about what levels would be considered acceptable.

If you go to the same screen with the car in READY instead of just ON, you should expect a pretty rock-steady 13.8 or .9 regardless of load (that's more a test of the converter circuit than of the battery).

-Chap

p.s. don't get too excited about this built-in diagnostic mode. It's really only useful for checking battery voltage or troubleshooting problems with the audio or nav. It doesn't help with other diagnostic needs of the car, for which you need a scantool of some sort, or to count light blinks.

scotman27 likes this.
  5. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Chap:
    seriously. thats awesome I never knew that i thought that only came on the gen2's and up. Im going out to play with it. lol.

thanks
    Scott

6. ocprius21

ocprius21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Very helpful, thanks! Before starting the car, in ON, it fluctuates from 11.1v to 11.5v, in READY it fluctuates from 13.3v to 13.8.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @ ChapmanF, what is your opinion of the 11.1 to 11.5 V that the OP reported? I won't make the call on it since I am a Gen 2 person. I am aware of the technique, but did not share with the OP as I did not want to get too technical...

Ron

8. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    um to me that seems way low. i would seriously pop the trunk and get your buddy with the voltmeter to test that battery with out the car being on at all. that would be a sure indication that with no load on the battery where it stands. with a load on it from the car, its hard to tell but that seems entirely too low. im going out to check mine.
    ther is a guy on youtube that has a video of a test on a gen2. his voltage with no load car on was 12.3v. with accessories on, it was 12.0v steady. He said with his old battery he was at 11.5v with no accessories. with accessories it dropped below 11v. I would say that battery of yours is done. Im going out to check mine.

9. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Most definitely bad battery, mine only goes to 12.2 sitting there in ON mode. accessories, 11.8v. then again I have and optimus battery in mine. it a couple years old. but it didnt go to 11-11.5 like yours did. that could be what is happening with your abs light, Its not able to self test itself due to low voltage. i would get another battery and go from there.

10. ocprius21

ocprius21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sweet, thanks for the feedback. I'm assuming I should still get the code pulled, if so, I can go Saturday. Also, do you guys know of any shops that sell this battery? I remember last time I had a hard time finding it and ended up going to Toyota.

11. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FYI, Autozones in California are not allowed to scan cars for codes. If you don't mind the distance, I would be happy to look at it for you.

Avi

12. ocprius21

ocprius21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Everyone's so helpful, I really appreciate it! I found out pepboys has a shop down the street and will scan it for free on Saturday (apparently that guy is only there the one day).

Avi - thanks for the offer, I'll see how pepboys is first.

13. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    you can get them online i believe, but the price is still close to toyota when the shipping is added. you can try and call autozone to see if they can order you one?

14. ocprius21

ocprius21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hmm yeah if the price is comparable, I might just go to Toyota. Autozone doesn't have it listed on the website, I'll call them and find out tomorrow. thanks!

15. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Your welcome. that battery is a specific battery with the size and the terminals, you may have to order it through them, thats if they can even do that.

16. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Other posters have reported that it seems way low. All I can say for myself is that it isn't any lower than mine, which might just mean I'm on borrowed time with my battery too. (It is at least 4½ years old and could be as much as 9 for all I know.) But I can say at those voltage levels I'm not experiencing any strange symptoms myself, so to me they would seem to fall in the "possible action area" rather than the "smoking gun" category.

-Chap

dorunron likes this.
  18. ocprius21

ocprius21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The verdict! The codes pulled are P0171 System too lean and P0303 Misfire. The battery is weak but he didn't give me the specific readings.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Suggests:
    • clean throttle body
    • can of injector cleaner in full tank
    • check engine air filter to make sure it is OK
    As for battery codes/values, we need:
    • lowest module pair voltage
    • highest module pair voltage
    • four battery temperature readings
    GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

scotman27 likes this.
  20. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Clean that throttle body, there at videos on youtube on how to do it. That may take care of your misfire code. System too lab could be cause by the throttle body. Or a possible oxygen sensor.