1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Conceptual problems

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eagle33199, May 1, 2007.

1. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ May 1 2007, 06:48 PM) [snapback]433592[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ May 1 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]433634[/snapback]</div>
    Nice answers... i had the first one, but think i like the second one better :D

Next question (this one's a bit harder than the first two)!

You have 12 coins,
    one weighs slightly less or slightly more than the others.
    Using an equal arm balance and only making 3 weighings
    determine which one is different and whether it is slightly
    less or slightly more. Warning: the fact that you don't know
    whether it is less or more is a major problem in the
    solution.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember this one. No, I should say I vaguely remember doing this one in high school, and I'm going to need all my fingers and toes to count how long ago that was. :)

Something about splitting the 12 into 3 groups of 4, and balancing them against each other. If the first two groups balance, the odd one is in the third group. After that, I forget, but I think this is the right way to start.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ May 1 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]433730[/snapback]</div>
    That sounds close, but wouldn't it make sense to divide into 4 groups of 3 instead. Weigh 2 groups then the other 2 groups. The odd one out contains your coin and tells you whether it's heavier or lighter.

One more weighing of 2 of the 3 coins. If it balances yours is the one not on the balance. If it's off balance yours is the heavier or lighter one as determined by the first 2 weighings.

Aw crap...that won't work either b/c you still won't know if your coin is the heavier or lighter one....gotta be 3 groups to start.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This method requires a long explanation. :blink:

I don't remember the exact order, but you compare four coins against four coins. On the first weighing, you will know if four coins are potentially light AND for coins are potentially heavy, OR if all eight coins are equal.

First weighing: 1,2,3,4 on the left, and 5,6,7,8 on the right.

Which ever side the scale drops to, you mark those coins with a plus sign.
    If the side goes up, you mark those coins with a minus sign.
    If they balance, you mark all the coins with an equal sign. (Those eight equal coins are now known not to be the odd coin, but you don't throw them out. Some of them will be used in the next two measurements.

For simplicity sake, let's say coin one is the odd coin and is light.

On the first weighing, the left side went up, so the numbers became

1-
    2-
    3-
    4-

5+
    6+
    7+
    8+

On the second weighing, you swap around some coins and place three unweighed coins on the right (but always comparing four coins against four coins). If the first weighing wasn't equal, this weighing will start the process of disproving some coins as contenders. . .

Second weighing: 1,2,7,8 on the left, and 4,9,10,11 on the right. If this second weighing turns out equal, then 3,5,6 have been proven suspect.
    Since we cheated and already know coin 1 is the light coin, the results will be

1-
    2-
    7-
    8-

4+
    9+
    10+
    11+

So far with two measurements we can eliminate 4,7,8 because their plus and minus signs cancel out. You can't be on both the heavy side and the light side. We can also cancel out 3 because it got a minus sign, but wasn't involved in the second minus weigh in.

If fact, so far the experiment has proven either 1 or 2 as the light coin, so we can eliminate all other coins from contention as the odd coin, but we still need to prove 1 or 2 as the light coin.

This is where I get a little fuzzy with the exact coin placement, but either coin 1 or coin 2 is weighed on the third weighing. The exact order causes some coins to be weighed one, two, or three times . . . but the exact order will narrow down the odd coin and its positive or negative weight.

For this example, let's say coin 2 was the one scheduled to be measured for the third time. If on this third weighing coin two does anything except be on the side which weighs light, then it is eliminated . . . but in this example we know the scale will measure equal, and coin 2, and all seven of the other coins will be proven equal.

With all coins measured, coin 1 will be the only one measured with two negative signs, while all other coins either measured equal or positive and negative.

This method provides a total of 24 coin measurements (4x2x3=24), and a way to find the odd coin and its positive or negative.

5. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    man SFP, you're on the ball with these!

A slightly easier one is next...

Consider a 5 by 5 Chess Board. Is it possible to place
    5 Queens on the board such that three pawns can safely
    be placed on the board? (aka, by carefully choosing where
    to place the 5 queens, can you arrange it so that there
    are 3 squares on the board that none of the queens can
    attack)

6. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 2 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]433875[/snapback]</div>
    Can the queens attack each other?

7. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Is it possible to place 5 queens on a 5x5 board without having them able to attack each other?

8. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 2 2007, 07:03 AM) [snapback]433900[/snapback]</div>
    One of two ways are possible:
    1. Place the 1st queen at any corner. Place the 2nd queen any knight's move distant. Place the 3rd the only knight's move distant that doesn't attack any of the other queens. Repeat that last step for queens 4 and 5.

2. Use all white or all black queens and stick 'em anywhere on the board - pieces cannot attack another piece of the same color! :p

MB

9. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nice, airportkid... i had thought of that (which just proves that i'm an idiot! :lol:).

But the answer is that queens can attack each other, just now the three pawns.

10. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 2 2007, 07:38 AM) [snapback]433923[/snapback]</div>
    Put 2 queens one atop the other in the leftmost column at rows 3 and 4 (counting up from the bottom).
    Put 1 queen next to the top queen in row 4 in the 2nd column.
    Put the last 2 queens side by side in the bottom row in columns 2 and 3.

2 of the 3 pawns will find sanctuary side by side in the top row in columns 4 and 5.
    The 3rd pawn will find sanctuary in the 2nd row in column 5.

Took awhile, but having unlimited sheets of graph paper marked in 5ths of an inch helped greatly.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

11. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have to say... you had more patience than i did! I went through about 3 trial boards before writing a dirty little program to brute force the answer :)

We'll go a little easier this time around:

Two people, named S and P, are talking about two numbers x and y.
    (note: x and y are both integers greater than or equal to 2). S
    knows their sum (x+y), while P knows their product (xy); however,
    initially NEITHER knows x and y.

S: Hey P! I don't know what the numbers are.
    P: I'm not surprised. I KNEW you didn't know. However, I too don't
    know.
    S: You don't? Really! Then I know what the numbers are!

What are the two numbers?

12. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 2 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]434211[/snapback]</div>
    To steal from one of the great lines from Douglas Adams' hapless hero, Arthur Dent, you are obviously using a meaning for "easier" I was not previously aware of. That's an ancient problem, cooked up by a couple of bored brontosauruses before the asteroid got them, but it has not gotten softer with age. The original dialogue was terse and elegant (brontosauruses were creatures of few words):

P: Hell if I know.

S: I knew that.

P: Well now I know.

S: Me too.

Solving this gnarly bit of logic is an exercise in long tedious lists of elimination - hours of work. I did it years ago (just after the asteroid incident - I'm giving away my age) - and I ain't gonna do all that again. I'll leave this to those who haven't yet encountered it. It is NOT a problem any of MY meanings for "easier" would describe.

MB

13. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I'm gonna go with 2 and 6.

14. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's not that hard, and you don't have to go nearly that long down the line...

To solve,
    S=4 breaks down into (2, 2), obviously not it.
    S=5 breaks down into (2, 3), again obviously not it.
    S=6 breaks down into (2, 4) and (3, 3). (3, 3) doesn't work, because otherwise P would know it off the bat. (2,4) doesn't work either for the same reason.
    S=7 is (2,5) and (3,4). (2,5) doesn't work. however, 3*4 = 12, which factors into (2,6) and (3,4) - thus P doesn't know it!

Correct answer: 3 and 4. Sum is 7, product is 12.

This next one's even a little easier...

Three mathematicians are applying for a job. There are 5 hats,
    3 white, 2 black. They're lined up, and a hat is placed on each.
    The first person in line cannot see any hat; the second in line
    sees only the hat of the person in front of him; the third person
    sees only the hats of the two people in front of her. The first
    person to correctly figure out what color hat they have gets the
    job; you guess wrong and you are killed. Assume these are INTELLIGENT
    mathematicians, and that they will do the logically correct thing
    at each stage -- if something can be deduced, they will. After a
    long pause, the first person, who cannot see any hats, says he knows
    the color of his hat. What is the color, and how does he know?

15. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 2 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]434245[/snapback]</div>
    Not so fast, old friend, you better go take a proper look at Number 3 - Two Logicians
    The problem is CONSIDERABLY more complex than you think. I'm not sure what the flaw is in your example yet, but the correct answer is something other than 3 and 4. And I'll try to identify the flaw in your example (I hope it doesn't take as much work as solving the damn thing)!

Mark

16. jeneric

jeneric New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 2 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]434211[/snapback]</div>
    Guessing that the pawns go in a corner and putting 2 there makes it easy to see where the Queens can't go. It leaves 6 places for 5 queens and One place for a Pawn that would only remove one of those 6 options.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeneric @ May 2 2007, 02:07 PM) [snapback]434240[/snapback]</div>
    S=8 is (4,4), (5,3), (2,6). (5,3) doesn't work, but 16 and 12 both have two two factor sets. So, yeah, I was wrong.

17. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 2 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]434245[/snapback]</div>

Unless I'm missing something, this one is super easy. For the first two guys, the possible combinations are:

2 1
    B B
    B W
    W B
    W W

If the third guys sees BB, he knows he must have W, and since he didn't say anything, it must be one of the other three. The second guy knows this. If he sees B on the guy in front of him, he knows he is wearing W, but he doesn't say anything so that can't be it. That leaves BW and WW, in either case that means a white hat for the first guy. So after the other two guys say nothing, he deduces he is wearing W.

18. jeneric

jeneric New Member

How about this one?

There are 3 light switches outside a room, each one connected to a different light inside a room. You can't see in the room from outside. What do you do to the switches, so that when you go into the room, you will know which switch is hooked to which light.

19. airportkid

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeneric @ May 2 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]434339[/snapback]</div>
    Turn two switches on (or leave two on); turn off the third switch. Go have a sandwich. Come back, and turn off one of the two switches that was on. Enter the room, take your Swiss Army collapsible 12 foot stepladder out of your pocket, climb up to the lights and feel the two that are unlit. The hot one of the two will be connected to the switch you just turned off, the cold one to the switch you turned off earlier, and the still burning light is connected to the switch that is turned on.

This is why one must never leave home without a 12 foot collapsible step ladder, so that if this sort of thing comes up, you won't be helpless and have to depend on customer service via a tech supprt hotline to Zanzibar.

MB

20. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I need to enter a castle that is surrounded by a 5 meter

wide moat filled w/water. I have an aversion for getting

wet and only have two 4.5 meter long planks with no rope,

nails, etc. How do i get across?