1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

concerning steering (gen 2)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GhostPrius, Jul 11, 2021.

1. GhostPrius

GhostPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there anything that can be done to create more feedback in the steering, and/or make the steering faster?

I've looked at steering quickeners and I'm not sure if the ones I've found will fit the spline on a prius, tho I'm still researching it- just thought I would ask

Also, does anyone know if there is a faster steering rack that can be swapped into a gen 2 prius? Are racks in later models swappable or faster? Are racks from other Toyotas possible to swap in, like mr2's etc? I haven't found any other posts discussing this so I thought I would make one, I'm sorry if that doesn't follow the protocol here as I haven't looked around this forum much other than threads regarding steering

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall ever reading about anyone doing it. have you tried playing with the tires pressure?

3. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The prius generally has much more responsive steering than a traditional hydraulic steering vehicle. It uses electric power steering.

What problem exactly are you having?

Too much resistance from the steering wheel?

Too little?

Or do you just want the wheels to turn faster with less input?

Generally the Prius has very little resistance when steering, especially if tire pressures are inflated above recommended.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Steering is way faster with more tire pressure. I prefer 47psi in front and 45psi in back. Safest way to do this is add a couple pounds of tire pressure at a time until traction issues are noticeable and then back it down to a lower level.

Another option that's been done on here is pulling the fuse to the power steering. It's makes turning the wheel when the car isn't moving awful, but is way more responsive when driving. There's even been some discussion on here about adding a switch so you can have power steering when you need it park and maneuver at slow speed and then turn it off once you're underway.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Steering is really fast and responsive. If yours is not one of the culprits could be the strut bearings are just shot. There good for about 80,000 miles at least in my case I replaced my struts and new bearings at that time and it had a really big change in steering effort so much easier to turn the wheel.
    Like a new car.