1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Concerns about momentary spikes in Engine Coolant Temperature

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kayla Colflesh, May 4, 2022.

1. Kayla Colflesh

Kayla Colflesh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a dedicated android device mounted on my dash that is only to run Hybrid Assistant. Normally my ECT runs about 185-190 *F when driving. And it goes up to 194-195 once the engine shuts off, before leveling out at 190. According to other posts, this seems like normal operation for any engine.

But, I saw 2 instances of it spiking even higher.

The first was a few days ago, the ECT spiked up to exactly 199 for several seconds while the engine was running (driving about 40 mph), before leveling out at about 190.

The second, I just got home, parked in my driveway, and when the engine shutoff, it spiked to 199 again for 5 seconds.

It is getting warmer out (highs in the 80's). Is this something I should be concerned about? If so, what do you believe we should check first?

Edit: in November, I was getting overheating problems, and an independent mechanic replaced the radiator, water pump, and thermostat. In December, the engine got close to overheating, we diagnosed the issue ourselves, and just tightened down the tension pulley.

No DTC's or warning lights.

#1 Kayla Colflesh, May 4, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I would first check if you have the right coolant level. When the car is cool, open the radiator cap and fill as needed

SFO likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I had this problem with my 2007 a year ago it was simply air in the system. Hopefully your problem gets resolved that way. But in general I think you're being overly-vigilant about these relatively normal number and as the saying goes: A watched pot doesn't boil. :)

4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a reasonable hypothesis, with the added benefit that it can be checked. The OP should verify that when the car is totally cold (like after sitting overnight) that the coolant is up to the top of the fill tube and that the level in the overflow tank is at the center. If either is not correct, then there is air in they system. Refill to the tube top and/or overflow center, and repeat daily until the levels stop changing. If they never stop being low then there is a leak somewhere.

There are some other possibilities but they all seem pretty unlikely.

The temperature measurement could occasionally be faulty, from a loose connector, or some timing issue in the relevant computer.

The thermostat might stick closed briefly and only occasionally. (Really unlikely since since it would normally open at 87C (185F).)

Some sort of chunky contaminant might be in the coolant which temporarily blocks the coolant path, when it releases the overheated coolant from the motor might appear as a spike.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's exactly what I did to fix it...

6. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Wouldn't hurt to sniff the radiator for combustion gasses

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I suggest driving the car to get the ICE warm, then park on a level surface- parking brake applied. Do a quick check- turn on the A/C- do the radiator - condenser fans both work? If they do then continue.

Turn off electrical loads (lights, heater, A/C). If the HV battery is less than 6-7 bars then force charge it. Next, press on the brake and gas pedals at the same time- the ICE should run. Shift to neutral and the ICE should stay running at about 1000rpm. Release the pedals. Now monitor coolant temperature and see how high it goes before the radiator fans come on. Keep an eye on the HV battery level as the car can't charge in neutral.

The service manual shows that fans should turn on "above 199°F" - that's for low speed. (Compared to many cars that's a very low temperature. 210-220° is fairly common). If the fans work properly then any temperature reading that consistently stays below the "fans on" level should be fine.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Merkey likes this.
  8. Kayla Colflesh

Kayla Colflesh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just followed your steps.

The AC does work, and I can hear the compressor.

Using Hybrid Assistant, the radiator fan turned on at 204* F. And it turned off as soon as I put the car in park, and the engine shut off.

I'll stop worry about these minor spikes in coolant temps, lol.

bisco likes this.