1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Concerns over buying Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Rochev, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Rochev

Rochev New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm thinking of getting a 2012 Prius V.
    I've never had anything like it. Since it gets very cold in Maine, I always "warm up" my engines on a cold start, meaning I don't drive until the idle drops down which can take minutes. That way the trans. fluid and oil can circulate and thin a bit.

When its 0 outside and I turn the (battery?) on, does the engine fire up if I turn the heat on?

When I leave work, it's under 25mph for about a mile and quickly goes to 45mph. If the motor is cold will it be fine to start suddenly running at a high speed?

This sounds harmful to the motor for it to start running high with no oil circulated, especially during the heavy stop and go right after the 45mph zone. Can anyone explain? Thanks!

Since that was so long, I'll keep this part short. I'm wondering if the hit on gas mileage is worth it for the wagon, when needing the space just a few times a year. I also like the looks a lot better.

#1 Rochev, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

1) yes, whether you leave the heat on or not.

2) yes, but the engine always starts when you press go, so warmup is not an issue unless you're jumping right on the freeway.

3) only you can decide that.

4) you may want to consider a block heater.

5) all the best!(y)

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Depends on distant driving per morning to work. If over 5 miles in my opinion then you have nothing to worry. Block heater if you can get one also

4. Rochev

Rochev New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That clears up my concerns, thanks so much! Something that I worry about too is weight. With the car full of people, groceries etc will it bog the car down?

I feel like if it was full of people, it can't get going well. Is that more or less true?

SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ ?

5. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The hit on gas mileage in cold weather would be there on just about any vehicle that you would choose. IMO, the Prius would have less of a hit on mpg, compared to other ICE vehicles, partially due to the hybrid battery that would kick in during a portion of the 25 mph drive. As others mentioned, a block heater would help.

As far as extra passengers, yes, extra weight will have an impact on both mpg and performance. The engine is an 1.8 liter/4 cylinder Atkinson engine (combined 134 hp) similar to what is under the Corolla's hood. It won't have the power of a 6 or 8 cylinder, nor will it feel like it.