1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Condensation behind speedometer/information screen

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AKTroy, Jun 11, 2017.

1. AKTroy

AKTroy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello folks:

Just took possession of a 2011 yesterday. I noticed that the speedometer LED seemed a little bit fuzzy, and on closer inspection I'm seeing some condensation that appears to be behind the screen. It seems mostly in the speedometer area, and then gets better as things move to the right in the info section.

I'm not sure if this was there from when I purchased the vehicle or if it was somehow related to washing with a pressure washer yesterday. As far as I know everything is sealed from the exterior, and I seem to recall the fuzziness in the display being there when I drove the vehicle home. So, I don't think it's related to the pressure washing, but possible.

Is there any way to get rid of the condensation or otherwise clean up the display? Seems like I read somewhere else the image is actually projected from the dash. Come to think of it, the secondary display that pops up when I put my fingers over the steering wheel seems a lot sharper. I think that image actually comes from the vertical display. So, maybe that condensation is actually in the horizontal surface? Don't know. Suggestions on how to clean up?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sort that out first. And yeah: some of the display is projecting, from below. lay a small card in there and move around, to figure out which zone. Would be good if it's some sorta moisture on the outside of the projector.

3. AKTroy

AKTroy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Took a closer look this morning and it appears the speedometer, ready light and a few other things are projected from below. The other side looks like it's an LED or some type of backlight technology, which would explain why condensation is only one side. I want to pick up a microfiber towel before attempting to clean, but hopefully something on the surface instead of underneath the projection cover. Admittedly if it was on the surface I would think it would evaporate, but perhaps the detailer's shot some armorall or something on it. I'm about positive the dealer detailed this before selling.